150w HPS growing

• Thread starter RansacktheElder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RansacktheElder

Any good general info on the right techniques to apply when using a 150w HPS? I've re arrainged my box and it now stands at 3'x2'x4'. I have 3 vitalume fluoro's and the HPS inside with a computer cooling fan exhausting the box. My HPS is remote ballast econolight with my own home made reflector. It's funky looking, but effective. It's an inverted aluminum deep dish cooking tin. Box is now painted flat white.:spacecraft:

H

hailstone

A 150W HPS provides about 17000 lumens of light. Cannabis needs about 4000-6000 lumens per square foot when flowering to thrive so you're a bit under the optimum (wait you were the guy with fluoros too? again: keep 'em there) but close enough to surely get a good result.

The light that a 150W HPS provides isn't very penetrative (55cm/~1.8feet) and part of that gets lost in the space between the light and plants so what you need/want is an even canopy that covers the entire area to maximize the usage of the light. In other words this means that you need to use some technique like SCROGging or LSTing. I'm sure there's more info about those available in the GrowFAQ section..

About the home made reflector... difficult to say if it's good or not, depends a lot on the shape of the cooking dish, but the kind of reflector you want is something that distributes the light over the entire area. A commercial (but a bit expensive) option would be the Adjust-A-Wing. White paint for the walls is fine, no problem there.

R

RansacktheElder

Thank you so much! I'm definately keeping all the lights in place and I'm looking at doing LST on the next crop to get the canopy affect. I'd use a scrog, but I'm growing from seed not clones. Thanks again for the advice and re assurance. I'm new to growing indoors. I used to grow both in the ground and in 5 gallon buckets outdoors when I was younger....But, back then it wasn't lighting I was concerned with, unless it was attached to a helicopter. <chuckle>

R

RansacktheElder

I guess the only way to do the one plants scrog would be to get feminized seeds eh?

U

ukcheesehead

I guess the only way to do the one plants scrog would be to get feminized seeds eh?

when i did my super skunk scrog i ran 4 seeds topped tham at the 5 th nood lsted and waited for them to show sex b4 adding the scrog net .

Latest posts

Top Bottom