160mm Fan & 125mm Carbonfilter. Possible?

• Thread starter Misshroom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Misshroom

Misshroom

So i have a soundproofed duct fan 160mm and a carbonfilter 125mm
In norwegian they are just called reduction, and this reduction would be fitted between the fan and filter. wich is what it's sounds like. It makes two part that do not have the same messaures and make it work. I was woundering if anyone have done it or know if it works or do i have to buy bigger filter?
thanks in advance :)

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Not sure on the conversion but sounds like you need a 6" to 4" reducer and should work fine. It'll restrict airflow over one thyat was the same size, but will work fine

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Not sure on the conversion but sounds like you need a 6" to 4" reducer and should work fine. It'll restrict airflow over one thyat was the same size, but will work fine

If he is using a "6.29 fan into a "4.9 reducer. He will need a fan speed controller.

He will have to set the speed on the fan to that of whatever the "4.9 tubes maximum cfm capacity is.

Anything above that will be wasting electricity. Creating more heat in the fan with reduced cooling capacity for the fan motor.

Misshroom

Misshroom

Yeah, that's what i mean - a reducer. So it would work? Greeat, thank you! :)
And additional question, my fan does 250m3 of air and the filter 420m3. would there be any problems?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

If he is using a "6.29 fan into a "4.9 reducer. He will need a fan speed controller.

He will have to set the speed on the fan to that of whatever the "4.9 tubes maximum cfm capacity is.

Anything above that will be wasting electricity. Creating more heat in the fan with reduced cooling capacity for the fan motor.
Man your not talking turbos, I almost guarantee his fan can't max out the filter. But I agree on having a controller/ rheostat

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
And additional question, my fan does 250m3 of air and the filter 420m3. would there be any problems?

Ideally you would want a close match in cfm ratings between the fan and filter.

If the filter is larger than the fans cfm capacity the dwell time of the air being scrubbed will be higher due to slower moving air over the carbon.

If the filter is smaller than the fans cfm capacity. Then the dwell time of the air being scrubbed will be lower due to faster moving air over the carbon.

Some people claim too large of a filter. air gets drawn in unevenly leading to a carbon filter that is bad with a % of its carbon unused.

This is why you want as close to a 1:1 ratio as you can get. This ensures close to %100 of the media is being utilized.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Shit just seen this. Just blast that ran into that filter and you'll be fine with the reducer

Misshroom

Misshroom

lol, now what?
I have friend who's got a brand new 420m3 filter and selling me it super cheap, so I thought i just hear if there was a way. so would 240m3 fit better?

Shit just seen this. Just blast that ran into that filter and you'll be fine with the reducer
Really? Had this person run into any problems so far? how long was it used? Was it used in a small space? Would be awesome if it could work, dont have to order or pay shit loads :P

But I would pay more now, rather than more later.
Thanks for the anwsers, appreciated it :)

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
lol, now what?
I have friend who's got a brand new 420m3 filter and selling me it super cheap, so I thought i just hear if there was a way. so would 240m3 fit better?

Really? Had this person run into any problems so far? how long was it used? Was it used in a small space? Would be awesome if it could work, dont have to order or pay shit loads :p

But I would pay more now, rather than more later.
Thanks for the anwsers, appreciated it :)

Yeah the 240m3 sounds more ideal As far as airflow ratings are concerned. The exhaust system will have small losses. Like pulling through the filter & blowing through the ducting. Which would put your filter at a good airflow rating. When matched with that fan.

Can you get it with a matching flange size where no reducer is used when connecting to the fan?

Misshroom

Misshroom

Yeah the 240m3 sounds more ideal As far as airflow ratings are concerned. The exhaust system will have small losses which would put your filter at a good airflow rating. When matched with that fan.

Can you get it in with a matching flange size where no reducer is used when connecting to the fan?

then 240 it is :)
No, the opening is 160mm. they just go bigger from there. the grow selection in norway is limited and we also have (what must be) the lowest customs limit, around 24 dollars. So buying internationally is out of the option as i would pay nearly the same amount on getting it inside the country as the item itself.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I would run what you have, not sure on your ambient temps but that 250w will be a pretty tough match for that fan. You only need the filter when your into flower any way. I don't run any filter ever and live in an apartment. If you're not running a room full it's not too hard to control smell. Ona is a great product I keep a couple containers in the front room for when the smell stronger. I don't care about the smell in the house .Only what leaves the apartment.

Misshroom

Misshroom

Live in an apartment aswell, and yes it's what's coming out of it. My landlord don't care if I smoke, but don't know what she thinks about cultivating it. in the room they're in now, max 28degrees and then it's pretty hot outside. I've seen that Ona thing in online stores. Gone give them a try, thanks! So would you recommend a bigger fan aswell?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Live in an apartment aswell, and yes it's what's coming out of it. My landlord don't care if I smoke, but don't know what she thinks about cultivating it. in the room they're in now, max 28degrees and then it's pretty hot outside. I've seen that Ona thing in online stores. Gone give them a try, thanks! So would you recommend a bigger fan aswell?
Its hard to tell what you need until your up and running. But if you can keep it under 85℉ at the tops, you should have good results. I suck at metric system.

Don't put ona in same room as plants especially in flower

Latest posts

Top Bottom