1st grow, comments/criticism appreciated

• Thread starter Holycanoli420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

Hello fellow stoners! This is my first serious grow and I'm just discovering the fun and wonder of learning something new about it every day.

I would really like to hear some comments/criticism from those with the experience and wisdom to help a newb along the path!

My current setup (DTW) is 8 plants in 1 gal pots of coco/perlite, starting week 4 of flower in a couple days.

-"600" watt Bloomspect ebay light
-supplementary UV lighting and soft warms
-full line of H&G except Magic Green 4 feedings every 6 hours at 875ppm and 6.1 ph

1st grow commentscriticism appreciated
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 2
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 3
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 4
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 5
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 6
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 7
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 8
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 9
1st grow commentscriticism appreciated 10
Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

Very good question, I'm guessing its my lack of serious LST. They had 2 bigger siblings I kept it up with that got nice and bushy, even canopy of tops...and they ended up male so being my 1st grow I'll admit I was discouraged and gave up the LST for the rest of 'em

Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

Cost of starting with bagseed I suppose haha, I'm hoping to learn and improve as I go, so I'm trying to be more positive about my mistakes from now on. I understand my experience level is next to zilch and this takes years to get truly talented at. You are just about spot on though with the size as well. Biggest ones about 3 feet haven't counted the nodes honestly.

CF89

CF89

Very good question, I'm guessing its my lack of serious LST. They had 2 bigger siblings I kept it up with that got nice and bushy, even canopy of tops...and they ended up male so being my 1st grow I'll admit I was discouraged and gave up the LST for the rest of 'em

im in the same boat man. been growing since April. im 3 weeks into my 2nd grow so im far from an expert haha.

I didnt LST most of my plants either and they never ended up that tall. It MIGHT be because your light is way too high up and theyre really struggling to reach. I could be wrong though.

im doing some LST right now and yes, its discouraging. my two LST plants look like pure shit whereas the two plants I topped and didnt LST are looking awesome. not only am I thinking of giving up the LST, but wanna kill the two and start fresh altogether!!

Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

Suppose I was to grab a better light now though, would it make a difference this far into the grow or just shock them more than anything?

CF89

CF89

another small tip, dont give up on these. let them finish and practice your trimming/curing techniques and make sure you got all the materials ready for the 2nd, more successful grow. even try experimenting too on these. it doesnt hurt.

cropping out our first grow was a shit show... we didnt have scissors, a comfy table, place to put the trim, didnt have a net to dry the buds, the jars I had were too small, the bubble bags werent in yet, etc etc.

second grow will be a LOT smoother and im glad I had a shitty, practice grow the first time thats for sure. learned a lot of lessons.

I tried LST too late... broke a branch. turned that plant hermie due to stress!! could of ruined the whole tent.

I had humidity too high... got bud rot on the second plant.

glad I learned those lessons on tiny little beginner plants and didnt have a 24 plant grow go to waste. ya know?

make lots of mistakes this grow.... mistakes are good. you learn from them!!! as long as its not costing you money and screwing you around.

Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

another small tip, dont give up on these. let them finish and practice your trimming/curing techniques and make sure you got all the materials ready for the 2nd, more successful grow. even try experimenting too on these. it doesnt hurt.

cropping out our first grow was a shit show... we didnt have scissors, a comfy table, place to put the trim, didnt have a net to dry the buds, the jars I had were too small, the bubble bags werent in yet, etc etc.

second grow will be a LOT smoother and im glad I had a shitty, practice grow the first time thats for sure. learned a lot of lessons.

I tried LST too late... broke a branch. turned that plant hermie due to stress!! could of ruined the whole tent.

I had humidity too high... got bud rot on the second plant.

glad I learned those lessons on tiny little beginner plants and didnt have a 24 plant grow go to waste. ya know?

make lots of mistakes this grow.... mistakes are good. you learn from them!!! as long as its not costing you money and screwing you around.
Wow I can't even imagine how frustrating that would be!! Hermies and budrot are some of the things i actually constantly worry about, I'm always messing with my A/C and checking for light leaks.

I'll do my best to keep those things in mind, its funny you'd think a person who smokes weed would be nonchalant towards growing but nope...i gotta overthink everything haha.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share a few tips!

Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

If you change lights do it gradually. Let them get the new light 2 hours the first day,four hours the second day. 7 hrs third day, then 12 on the fourth.
I've been looking at HPS on ebay so I just might grab one, thank you for the advice much appreciated!

Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

I know its been awhile but you guys turned out to be absolutely right. Got probably the worst yield you've ever heard of haha. 1 zip between seven plants...and about a zip of trim...the potency was great at least.

Pretty much all of them were root bound and the buds would just not get big or dense...shoulda known better than to try an ebay LED lol.

I'm not discouraged though, already a couple weeks into my second grow and will try to apply what I've learned from my mistakes to try and do better this time around. I appreciate all the advice and look forward to improving as a grower.

Holycanoli420

Holycanoli420

need better light
Absolutely, I failed to do enough research in the department, and also fell for the chinese fake wattage, light was advertised as 600w but its really only 100, so even with 0.5gs a watt the best I could hope for was 50 grams haha. I got a little more than half of that.

Lesson learned that's for sure.

Top Bottom