1st Grow Deficiency: Mag? Nitrogen? Iron? End of flower?

• Thread starter Gashuffer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Hey all. First grow going on. So far, pretty well I’d say with the help of some of y’all here! @Moshmen @visajoe1

But again, it’s my first grow so I have nothing to compare against yet!

A few points to level with for my grow.

Strain: Autoflower BlueTooth from MSNL
Nutrients: FF Trio
Stage: I believe I’m 4-5 weeks into flower, germinated seed beginning of March.

Over the past week or so, one of my plants has started to show some yellowing in her leaves.

I thought it looked like a Magnesium deficiency based on this image I’ve found on this forum.

64172487-2706-47F0-86B4-7279ABAB1935.jpeg

So, I added some Epsom salt to my feed about 36 hours ago. There has been no difference in her leaves.

I should also mention that I don’t have good before and after shots as I realized tonight how much of a difference having her out from under my grow light makes. Even with “full spectrum” LEDs.

Here is how her leaves look now, 36 hours after feeding with Epsom salt and 1/4 dose of FF Trio from week 6 of feeding schedule.

Full view:

7B741D99-22EE-48E5-B633-E1FEC11B9DDA.jpeg

Yellowed leaves:

693F0241-6614-4206-8598-1A61EEB82F89.jpeg

36F7DF27-4265-49A8-8D7A-51298FB275E0.jpeg

Again, I was originally thinking the issue was Magnesium dif. However, there hasn’t been a major change after I added Epsom salt to my last water ~36 hours ago.

So, now I’m thinking, is it Nitrogen? Maybe. But, she’s 4-5 weeks into flower, so likely not as she should require less Nitrogen, and my FF trio includes Nitrogen.

Is she coming up on the end of flower and this is normal? Again, maybe. But it’s my first grow.

Is it iron? Again, maybe. But, pH has been solid and I feed with dechlorinated tap water. Which should have plenty of iron in it.

Thoughts?

If you’ve got any questions to help get to the bottom, I’m an open book.

Here’s my grow log for reference:

Grow Log

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

overall looks ok. Throughout later flowering you will notice yellowing and dying off of older sun leaves as the plant uses up the nutrients

Once I see the yellowing, should I start flushing? Or does the yellowing of lower fan leaves start well before that?

Yep nice looking plant good luck welcome to the farm .

Thanks! Glad to be here. Tons of good info on here thanks to the community.

looks normal. dark green so plenty of nitrogen. if anything it looks a bit crowded in the canopy and some defoliation might have helped open it up a bit....but no biggie 👍

Yeah, I did a ton of LST. Literally every new cola that came up I would tie it down. So, it’s pretty tight in this 3gallon pot. I did a pretty heavy trimming several weeks ago and have done specific trims of leaves covering bud sites along the way. It just doesn’t end!

The plant is only 6-8” tall, maybe a bit taller now with the buds stacking up a bit. But the canopy is most def only 6-8” above the soil.

I’ve read so much conflicting info/opinions on defoliation of autos. Next grow I may try to make a platform around the top of the pot to widen my LST area. Almost like the brim of a top-hat. Maybe just make it out of a sheet of florist foam.

Anyway, thanks for the info/support all!

Grow4fun

Grow4fun

That yellowing will occur as you come closer to harvest particularly the bottom leaves. Pluck it, and if you are really concerned just check your PH run-off after watering. You should still be feeding your normal nutes. Week 5 I’m usually giving her 50 to 75% bottle recommendation but that’s me and depends on your nute line

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Looks like they might be a little light stressed.

Yellowing leaf's on the bottom of the plant with that full canopy is normal they are not getting light, I do not think it is related to the top fading.

Hard to say whether the starting to pale leaf's on top is the lights or a true N def. Light stress will cause leaching and with the semi burnt tips they are probably well fed.

To me it looks more like a light intensity issue.

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

What are you feeding right now? ec?

ec?

I’m on week 6 of FF Trio. But, 25% of the recommended dose. I believe I’m about a week off the plant’s lifecycle, aka I’m in week 7-8 of the plant since I put the sprouted seed into soil. But I’m only on week 6 of feeding.

Not sure why I ended up doing that. I thought I took a note in my log, but apparently not. See why I log? My memory.

B4E988A2 A028 46B0 AC59 9D18E18D0AED
Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Looks like they might be a little light stressed.

Yellowing leaf's on the bottom of the plant with that full canopy is normal they are not getting light, I do not think it is related to the top fading.

Hard to say whether the starting to pale leaf's on top is the lights or a true N def. Light stress will cause leaching and with the semi burnt tips they are probably well fed.

To me it looks more like a light intensity issue.

Interesting. I’ve got my light at 12” above per the manufacturers recommendation. Granted it’s 12-18” in flower. So at the close side. I’ll try moving back a few inches and see what that goes.

visajoe1

visajoe1

ec?

I’m on week 6 of FF Trio. But, 25% of the recommended dose. I believe I’m about a week off the plant’s lifecycle, aka I’m in week 7-8 of the plant since I put the sprouted seed into soil. But I’m only on week 6 of feeding.

Not sure why I ended up doing that. I thought I took a note in my log, but apparently not. See why I log? My memory.
ec is how strength of nutrients is measured. some use ppm, but ec is more accurate.

do you have a ec/tds/ppm meter?

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

Oh right. Duh. Yes, I have a tds/ppm meter. The ppm of my feed into my plants is 600-850 pending on the week and dose I gave. Which has been 25%-50% of the schedule.

Altho, my ppm meter doesn’t state if it’s 700 or 500 scale. I may end up buying a meter that just does EC for the sake of confidence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom