1st grow, Promix HP soil - possible overwatering issues, drooping and yellowing leaves

• Thread starter formerly_chucks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

formerly_chucks

Plants are currently about 30 days old in 1 gallon pots of Promix HP mixed 1:1 with chunky perlite, and were potted up from 4 inch pots at 15 days old. They're getting 18/6 under an HLG 350R at 24" dimmed to half strength in a 2x4 closet, average temps are 75-78 with lights on, and 64-68 with lights off. Humidity averages around 50 percent. All the plants have been topped once at around two weeks, and I water to runoff with quarter strength DG Foliage Pro about every 4 days.

In the first image taken 10 days ago, they were looking fairly good. The next two were taken today, and in the past week they've started to droop and yellow, starting from the oldest growth up. I suspect overwatering, and I'm currently watering when the pots feel identical in weight to the empty 1 gallon pot of soil I have in the picture, which happens about every 4 days.

Should I not be watering until runoff? My current guess is that maybe the roots aren't well established, and watering to runoff is leaving them too moist. I don't think it's underwatering, because the leaves aren't drooping close to the stem, they look a little bloated and are lazily hanging down.

1st grow promix hp soil   possible overwatering issues drooping and yellowing leaves
1st grow promix hp soil   possible overwatering issues drooping and yellowing leaves 2
1st grow promix hp soil   possible overwatering issues drooping and yellowing leaves 3
growsince79

growsince79

Plants are currently about 30 days old in 1 gallon pots of Promix HP mixed 1:1 with chunky perlite, and were potted up from 4 inch pots at 15 days old. They're getting 18/6 under an HLG 350R at 24" dimmed to half strength in a 2x4 closet, average temps are 75-78 with lights on, and 64-68 with lights off. Humidity averages around 50 percent. All the plants have been topped once at around two weeks, and I water to runoff with quarter strength DG Foliage Pro about every 4 days.

In the first image taken 10 days ago, they were looking fairly good. The next two were taken today, and in the past week they've started to droop and yellow, starting from the oldest growth up. I suspect overwatering, and I'm currently watering when the pots feel identical in weight to the empty 1 gallon pot of soil I have in the picture, which happens about every 4 days.

Should I not be watering until runoff? My current guess is that maybe the roots aren't well established, and watering to runoff is leaving them too moist. I don't think it's underwatering, because the leaves aren't drooping close to the stem, they look a little bloated and are lazily hanging down.
Too much perlite and underwatered for sure. With that much perlite, I would think they would need watered every day.

F

formerly_chucks

Thanks for the responses, I didn't even consider underwatering as a cause, because so much emphasis is put on not overwatering in everything I've read. Would half strength Dynagro FP be excessive for daily feeding?

Also, anyone used 511 mix(pine bark, peat moss and perlite) or another similar aggressively draining mix? I grew figs prior to this growing venture, and it's stressed very highly to have a soilless mix with a lot of aeration to avoid having a perched water table. 50/50 Promix and perlite is used by some growers as an alternative to 511, so that's why I'd chosen to go this route. More info:

jguit

jguit

Supporter
The advice already given is spot on!

Why would you add perlite to Promix HP? It's fairly foolproof as is.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Promix how is a very common grow medium - simple to use I only add about 20% perlite as the go already has a lot - starting from seed I don’t feed for aprox 2 weeks - if I start from clone they get a low dose right away

Moshmen

Moshmen

Start a diary and u will get growers to follow along and help with problems

Latest posts

Top Bottom