1st Time!!! Carpenter Ants

• Thread starter Patriot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Patriot

Patriot

I have never had this problem but carpenter ants are eating the stalk..peeling it out and away.....I have also some type of burrowing warm that its killing my flowering plants...any help please!!!!!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Diatomaceous earth will mess those fuggers up real bad. Sprinkle/dust that stuff all around your soil and they walk thru it and die. It's like super tiny shards of glass that get on their body and cut it to shit. In layman's terms. Lol.

Anything sweet around? A nest? Wood, logs, damn areas all the time?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Borax, Terro baits, Tanglefoot or even Vaseline around the base of the plant. Mix the borax with sugar, it's the same thing as a Terro bait but homemade.

Patriot

Patriot

Diatomaceous earth will mess those fuggers up real bad. Sprinkle/dust that stuff all around your soil and they walk thru it and die. It's like super tiny shards of glass that get on their body and cut it to shit. In layman's terms. Lol.

Anything sweet around? A nest? Wood, logs, damn areas all the time?
Wood around about 50 feet.....also compost next to it about 5 feet

Dunge

Dunge

Track them (probably outside in a tree trunk) to their nest and hammer it hard.
In my experience, this will reduce their capacity to send out scouts, and reduce their sphere of influence.
I do not believe they can survive as an expeditionary force.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Find the nest, treat them like spider mites or they'll keep coming back.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Borax, Terro baits, Tanglefoot or even Vaseline around the base of the plant. Mix the borax with sugar, it's the same thing as a Terro bait but homemade.

No idea how much borax your talking about adding, however I see the possibility of that effecting the soil. I had somebody give me some guidelines on Borax and 11g = 2ppms of Boron per yard of soil. When I added that amount, it added up to more like 3ppms per 11g.

Spinosad says it takes care of fire ants I believe. Might work for carpenter ants. Rent an ant eater from the zoo?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Borax would be mixed with sugar and kept in a manner that the ants can actually eat it, you don't want to, say, drench the soil with borax. The goal is to get it into their bellies and the colony, that will kill them/it.

Hm, according to this article carpenter ants will just gorge on the borax+sugar mix and never take it back to the colony. They say squirt DE directly into the nest. I've never been able to find an actual nest, just found the ants in random places, freaked out about it, called a pest guy, ordered him to use organic only, yadda yadda yadda.

http://www.diynatural.com/how-to-get-rid-of-ants-naturally/

Patriot

Patriot

The bad news is that I have pets, indoor and outdoor cat. So Borax and sugar are out of the question....i am gonna try to coat the lower part of the plant with vaseline see if it works...i will also cover the holes.....It sucks...my plant is almost done too....the stem is the size of an original red bull can....lol

Patriot

Patriot

So anyone ever had them eat the bark ? is this a normal problem ?

Top Bottom