1st Time Foray Into Pgr's...any Advice?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
After enjoying Train Wreck and Black Diesel, but disappointed in their short stature and heavy canopy/bare under growth. The yield would easily double if they grew taller, but I guess tent growing has caused many strains to be short and stocky.
In a never-ending quest for something better, I've decided to attempt to tweak the makup of the plants in question using Gibberellic Acid to try to get them to stretch, and MAYBE try some 6-Benzylaminopurine, which is sort of the anti gibberellic acid compound, shrinking nodes instead of stretching.
So, my plan is to use the Gibberellic acid to stretch the diesels to desired height, then possibly use the 6-Benz to thicken them up after stretching. This all sounds great in theory, but I'm sure that I've overlooked some very significant points to consider. Has anyone ventured down this road personally? I've read and read, but at some point, real life advice is worth a thousand texts. Thanks in advance for any and all help

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
After enjoying Train Wreck and Black Diesel, but disappointed in their short stature and heavy canopy/bare under growth. The yield would easily double if they grew taller, but I guess tent growing has caused many strains to be short and stocky.
In a never-ending quest for something better, I've decided to attempt to tweak the makup of the plants in question using Gibberellic Acid to try to get them to stretch, and MAYBE try some 6-Benzylaminopurine, which is sort of the anti gibberellic acid compound, shrinking nodes instead of stretching.
So, my plan is to use the Gibberellic acid to stretch the diesels to desired height, then possibly use the 6-Benz to thicken them up after stretching. This all sounds great in theory, but I'm sure that I've overlooked some very significant points to consider. Has anyone ventured down this road personally? I've read and read, but at some point, real life advice is worth a thousand texts. Thanks in advance for any and all help
As a followup, I am getting very conflicting reports on the use of Gibberellic Acid to cause stretching. From reading on other sites and research, it seems that when applied to females, it causes them to turn hermie and produce tons of seeds along with vegetative type growth...along with stretch. I think it will feminize males.
SO...the question remains...is there any Plant Growth Regulators that will stretch a plant? I know a day or two of darkness will cause some stretching, but I'm also hoping for increased bud development.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

So first, I tried Heavy 16 Fire last year on several plants. It contains I believe Gibberellic acid and aspirin of all things, in addition to mostly potassium. I treated three pairs of plants, each pair was the same strain, but from seed, not clones. There was no observable difference in Bud size, stretch, or other plant shape issues. No perceptible difference in potency. Two of the three treated plants seemed to mature about a week earlier, than their untreated companions. This was all outdoors in soil. The treatment was in addition to the core feeding regime of Botanicare Bloom. Each plant got about 1.5 gal of a mix of 20 ml Heavy Fire, 65 ml of Botanicare and 15 ml of GH micro in 5 gal of nasty old non pH'd, RO'd, FUBAR'd nor nuthin garden hose water. ;-) This was given once a week from 8/1 till middle of september, when I quit feeding.

I think the effect of the Gib. acid was to speed flower formation, and I could not see any change in stretch.

Second, If the plants want to grow a certain height, I'd just let them. If you want bigger plants, I'd change strain. If you want to fill that space, order some Original Glue from Nirvana, and you'll get your yield. It'll be tasty, too. :) My big one yielded about 3 lb trimmed bud.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
So first, I tried Heavy 16 Fire last year on several plants. It contains I believe Gibberellic acid and aspirin of all things, in addition to mostly potassium. I treated three pairs of plants, each pair was the same strain, but from seed, not clones. There was no observable difference in Bud size, stretch, or other plant shape issues. No perceptible difference in potency. Two of the three treated plants seemed to mature about a week earlier, than their untreated companions. This was all outdoors in soil. The treatment was in addition to the core feeding regime of Botanicare Bloom. Each plant got about 1.5 gal of a mix of 20 ml Heavy Fire, 65 ml of Botanicare and 15 ml of GH micro in 5 gal of nasty old non pH'd, RO'd, FUBAR'd nor nuthin garden hose water. ;-) This was given once a week from 8/1 till middle of september, when I quit feeding.

I think the effect of the Gib. acid was to speed flower formation, and I could not see any change in stretch.

Second, If the plants want to grow a certain height, I'd just let them. If you want bigger plants, I'd change strain. If you want to fill that space, order some Original Glue from Nirvana, and you'll get your yield. It'll be tasty, too. :) My big one yielded about 3 lb trimmed bud.
From further studying, It appears that the effects of Gibberellic Acid are dependent on when it is administered. If used during vegging, it can cause a sort of hermaphrodite plant that produces feminized seeds. If applied during flowering, I guess it is supposed to make the buds fatter, but maybe just with regular leaf, not bud materials. It is also depending on the concentrations used to influence the effects. If I have a couple extra plants going, maybe I'll experiment on them before trying anything drastic.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

From further studying, It appears that the effects of Gibberellic Acid are dependent on when it is administered. If used during vegging, it can cause a sort of hermaphrodite plant that produces feminized seeds. If applied during flowering, I guess it is supposed to make the buds fatter, but maybe just with regular leaf, not bud materials. It is also depending on the concentrations used to influence the effects. If I have a couple extra plants going, maybe I'll experiment on them before trying anything drastic.
I started application august 1 outdoors. Flower production was just beginning.

Erick31876

Erick31876

As a followup, I am getting very conflicting reports on the use of Gibberellic Acid to cause stretching. From reading on other sites and research, it seems that when applied to females, it causes them to turn hermie and produce tons of seeds along with vegetative type growth...along with stretch. I think it will feminize males.
SO...the question remains...is there any Plant Growth Regulators that will stretch a plant? I know a day or two of darkness will cause some stretching, but I'm also hoping for increased bud development.
All the ones I ever heard of make the plant stay small so the can Get bushy. If you want to make it stretch couldn't you just said the light up. I do this with my baby plants after the first up pot until they get to be about 12-18inch tall then I lower it so it will grow normally. It makes for less exfoliation before flip. But sucks for taking clones

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
All the ones I ever heard of make the plant stay small so the can Get bushy. If you want to make it stretch couldn't you just said the light up. I do this with my baby plants after the first up pot until they get to be about 12-18inch tall then I lower it so it will grow normally. It makes for less exfoliation before flip. But sucks for taking clones
I was thinking the same thing, pgr’s jeep the plants shorter.
If you want stretch and growth use New mellinium base, it will out grow anything in veg and early bloom

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Never have grown black diesel but trainwreck is a stretchy lanky bitch. I would never consider that a short and stocky plant. Doubles or more in size on the flip. Kind of a bitch to grow because of that. Grows like a vine.

PGR's (like old school bush master or gravity) keep plants from stretching. Kelp is usually what people would use as a PGR. Why I have never used it in flower. Almost all the talk of PGR's dealing with weed talk about the oppisite of what you are looking for. If you are talking about Paclobutrazol then it isnt gibberellic acid but a antagonist to it that interferes with it. There is lots of info on it from 2012-2013 on these sites about it and why those products got banned and had to change their formula. Stays in the plant for a long period of time and was only supposed to be used originally on non edible crops or crops with really long growth times like fruit trees. It is also considered toxic and will fail a state test if it's found in your plants. Also kills the quality of the product. The saddist weed I have ever grow was stuff I tried using bushmasters on way back in the day to see what it did.

Genetics is what the stretch is going to come from. Exact reason why I have and run the moms I have. I want a plant to double in size when I flip it for the style of how I grow. If not i have to double my veg space and veg twice as long which doesn't work for me. Whole reason you won't see stuff like Deep Chunk or Urkle in my rooms. It's all Diesels and Chems in 1 form or another. I talked about that in that Romulan thread and put a pic up to compare vs other stuff I run https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/romulan-seeds-anyone.103136/#post-2243041

Just get out there and genetic hunt for what suits your setup. Don't waste your time with genetics that don't suit what you are looking for and trying to tailor them to your setup. That is a lot of time wasted you could be growing better plants that will do exactly what you are looking for.

PS most of these strains where around before people ever grew in tents

indicabush

indicabush

Howdy,

Triacontanol... natural pgr will give you additional stretch
SuperThrive
Humboldt 1 .....maybe...never tried

Read up on...Auxins and Cytokinins

This should assist you....

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Howdy,

Triacontanol... natural pgr will give you additional stretch
SuperThrive
Humboldt 1 .....maybe...never tried

Read up on...Auxins and Cytokinins

This should assist you....
Thanks for the suggestions. I have done a lot of research on some of these compounds, both natural extracts as well as made up chems, but the problem is determining which info is the correct info...the conflicting info and urban legends make it tough to sort out.
I guess maybe I'm bitchy about the size of "today's" genetics, but by a large margin, indoor grows use shorter and bushier plants. A lot of my dissatisfaction comes from starting from clones, which destroys any resemblances to a seed started plant, at least IMO. I grow indoor, but in an outdoor fashion. I don't lollipop, I don't scrog, I don't feed them every day and if they see Cal-Mag, it is once at the beginning of their lives. The plants are generally about 7 ft tall, but I can't get a Diesel or Train Wreck to get much over 4'. I have mostly grown some Sativa strains that were given to me in the 70s and I've managed to keep them going. Of course, growing a Sativa could explain why I don't like the shorter plants!

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Growing is all about trial and error. Get growing.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Growing is all about trial and error. Get growing.
I've grown a few times in my short life, I'm just trying to tweak things. It's all for personal use and I'm looking to try a few new ideas after using mostly the same strain from the Alaskan Pipeline days. Unfortunately, there are a million different strains out there nowadays, but most of them are pretty much the same. I know it sounds dumb, but it's true. Looking at the seed bank, I had great difficulty in finding any un-hybrid plants or seedstock. Landrace strains are getting like hen's teeth, and even a lot of those are unknown genetics.

indicabush

indicabush

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done a lot of research on some of these compounds, both natural extracts as well as made up chems, but the problem is determining which info is the correct info...the conflicting info and urban legends make it tough to sort out.
I guess maybe I'm bitchy about the size of "today's" genetics, but by a large margin, indoor grows use shorter and bushier plants. A lot of my dissatisfaction comes from starting from clones, which destroys any resemblances to a seed started plant, at least IMO. I grow indoor, but in an outdoor fashion. I don't lollipop, I don't scrog, I don't feed them every day and if they see Cal-Mag, it is once at the beginning of their lives. The plants are generally about 7 ft tall, but I can't get a Diesel or Train Wreck to get much over 4'. I have mostly grown some Sativa strains that were given to me in the 70s and I've managed to keep them going. Of course, growing a Sativa could explain why I don't like the shorter plants!

Howdy,

Urban legends...Go with science...Triacontanol works well if your looking for additional stretch. If you would like to have further discussion about hormone classes (PGRs or PGPRs) message me.

Top Bottom