2.5 weeks to harvest, should I switch the lights to 11/13 or 10/14 to help finish?

• Thread starter HipHopAnonymous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HipHopAnonymous

I heard this tricks the plant into thinking its in late fall and helps for a finial push. How should I adjust the lights? A hour less a week? Im about to flush for the last two weeks with only Ph'd water. I was also under the thought of not giving them any water or light for the last three days. This will be my first harvest and would love any kind of feed back. thanks.

http://i.invalid.com/vgJUc.jpg

http://i.invalid.com/so9Io.jpg

J

jimbobthe3rd

Keep them on 12/12 IMO, that extra couple hours light compared to 10/14 will help the buds swell to their fullest potentual size, you don't have to rush to the race line my friend if you want nice big quality fruit! Not watering them for the last few days without light is something some people do, i personally keep the lights on and don't water for the last 2 days, just to give the drying process a kick-start, there won't be as much water in the plants obviously.

Goodluck friend!

H

HipHopAnonymous

I was kinda hoping for more logic behind this theory. Does the science make sense? Would the plant be encourage to grow bigger, stickier and heavier thinking winter is around the corner? In nature fall daylight gets shorter and shorter telling plants to hurry up..right? I also heard chopping the girls right before "lights on" as it is rumored to be a peek time for thc in the buds... Someone wanna help clear any of this up?

E

Elite Nugs

I'd have to disagree with Jimbob. Your not going to gain much weight in the last couple weeks. Cutting the light cycle down to 10-8 hours on, does make the plant think that winter is coming, so they need to hurry up and catch some pollen so they can reproduce and continue on in their life cycle. The cutting down of the light really increases trichome production and it mimics mother natures... which every grower is ultimately trying to do.

As for not watering your plants.. thats a cool little trick if your trying to fast dry your buds. But if your looking for better smell, better flavor and a smoother smoke, then dry those puppies as slow as possible.

But this is just my opinion. Curious to see more peoples input on this one. Or maybe Im the only one who cuts the light cycle down. I also switch to metal halide... I drop the temps and RH... and I cut the light cycle down within the last 2-3 weeks of flowering.

Venom818

Venom818

I'd have to disagree with Jimbob. Your not going to gain much weight in the last couple weeks. Cutting the light cycle down to 10-8 hours on, does make the plant think that winter is coming, so they need to hurry up and catch some pollen so they can reproduce and continue on in their life cycle. The cutting down of the light really increases trichome production and it mimics mother natures... which every grower is ultimately trying to do.

As for not watering your plants.. thats a cool little trick if your trying to fast dry your buds. But if your looking for better smell, better flavor and a smoother smoke, then dry those puppies as slow as possible.

But this is just my opinion. Curious to see more peoples input on this one. Or maybe Im the only one who cuts the light cycle down. I also switch to metal halide... I drop the temps and RH... and I cut the light cycle down within the last 2-3 weeks of flowering.

I have to disagree,i believe it depends on the strain.Strains like og kush pack on there weight in the last few weeks so cutting the light would actually hurt you not help you

E

Elite Nugs

I have to disagree,i believe it depends on the strain.Strains like og kush pack on there weight in the last few weeks so cutting the light would actually hurt you not help you

I agree. Depends on the strain..... AND when you harvest. If you harvest late, going for more of that body effect, then it wont make too much of a difference. If you harvest at peak and the strain packs on weight late in the cycle, then you'll lose out on weight.

Everyone around where Im from seems to like the stuff thats gonna put you to bed. So I usually harvest a little late (depending on the strain) and by that time, the weights already been put on, so cutting down the light cycle doesnt hurt my weight much at all. But it sure does make them a hell of a lot frostier.

I've cut the lights down for my last 4 grows now and my buds are packed with resin. Much more then what they were when kept at 12/12. People are scared to do this, because they dont want to lose any weight. Im pulling about a P and a half per light.. so its not hurting me too bad and Im getting frostier buds.

deacon1503

deacon1503

ok, ive been carrying around this schedule in my pocket for a week i got from a guy who studied tulips in holland saying that u can basically finish in 2/3 normal time. idk, still processing on it.

veg:

12 on
3.5 off
1 on
5.5 off

flwr:

1-14: 11 on, 13 off
15-28: 10.5 on, 13.5 off
29-42: 10 on, 14 off
43-56: 9.5 on, 14.5 off

thoughts?

E

Elite Nugs

ok, ive been carrying around this schedule in my pocket for a week i got from a guy who studied tulips in holland saying that u can basically finish in 2/3 normal time. idk, still processing on it.

veg:

12 on
3.5 off
1 on
5.5 off

flwr:

1-14: 11 on, 13 off
15-28: 10.5 on, 13.5 off
29-42: 10 on, 14 off
43-56: 9.5 on, 14.5 off

thoughts?

The flowering cycle kinda sounds like what I do. But I only do it at the very end. I go down to 10on - 14off the second to the last week and 8on - 16off the last week during the flush.

I heard that some Dutch flower for 12on and 6off. So the plants only have 18 hour days. They say it double and even triples yield. Im gonna have to test that one out in a tent or something.

mango420

mango420

I would stick with 12/12. And i wouldnt flush for 2 weeks, get yourself a good flushing agent like floraclean and flush for one week, double the strengh of the floraclean and you'll see bigger yeilds than flushing for 2 weeks and your smoke will be cleaner and white ash. Also if u want them to dry faster let the medium dry out completely before chopping, ive never seen this effect the final product vs chopping when there soaking wet.

soserthc1

soserthc1

12/12

Well i am going to rule out the tulip light cycle 1) sounds to complicated and second not growing tulips. My first i stayed 12/12 flushed for two weeks and lights off no water last two days. all gdp and came out great. Second grow white wid and mango. I cut the last two weeks down to 11 on 12 off the yield of the widow was amazing but i really didn't care for the medical effects unless it just is not its all built up to be, smelled tremedous but was no wear near the couch lock of the mango IMHO 12/12 flush last two weeks last two days darkness no water but by no means am i a professional yet... always had a green thumb just using it for the good green now

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I agree. Depends on the strain..... AND when you harvest. If you harvest late, going for more of that body effect, then it wont make too much of a difference. If you harvest at peak and the strain packs on weight late in the cycle, then you'll lose out on weight.

Everyone around where Im from seems to like the stuff thats gonna put you to bed. So I usually harvest a little late (depending on the strain) and by that time, the weights already been put on, so cutting down the light cycle doesnt hurt my weight much at all. But it sure does make them a hell of a lot frostier.

I've cut the lights down for my last 4 grows now and my buds are packed with resin. Much more then what they were when kept at 12/12. People are scared to do this, because they dont want to lose any weight. Im pulling about a P and a half per light.. so its not hurting me too bad and Im getting frostier buds.

No doubting you at all bro, but you have any pre-harvest pics or nug shots you could put up? TIA

E

Elite Nugs

Sorry... wrong link. Just smoked.

About half way down the page you'll see some that are about a week out from harvest. Click on em so there nice a big. They look prettier that way. lol

E

Elite Nugs

I have buds growing on my fan leaves!! Not trichomes... buds!! Lol.

Some times its a good thing to steer a little away from the norm, and think about how nature works. I have plants outdoors that are 2-3 weeks into flowering and where Im at, we're getting 14 hours of light a day. If a person doesnt see that with their own eyes, they probably wouldnt believe because everyone is taught that it takes 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness to flower a bud plant. So I like to play with the light cycle a little bit. I start off high and slowly drop the hours till I get to 8. Hasnt let me down yet, Im always happy with the yield.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
why ?

why hasent anyone told dude that those plants have more than 2.5 weeks left ? still alot of white hairs didnt see any red hairs
looks like you got at least 3.5 to 4 weeks left just because the
strain is listed at 8 weeks they usualy go for 10 weeks so make sure
you get the right amount of time in the will increase yeald better than 11/13 :hi

I first herd mr Rosnethaw talk about this he said
it will make your plants mature faster but at a yeald sacrifice

E

Elite Nugs

why hasent anyone told dude that those plants have more than 2.5 weeks left ? still alot of white hairs didnt see any red hairs
looks like you got at least 3.5 to 4 weeks left just because the
strain is listed at 8 weeks they usualy go for 10 weeks so make sure
you get the right amount of time in the will increase yeald better than 11/13 :hi

I first herd mr Rosnethaw talk about this he said
it will make your plants mature faster but at a yeald sacrifice

He has about 4 different strains in there. I see some red hairs on the plant to the right.

H

HipHopAnonymous

He has about 4 different strains in there. I see some red hairs on the plant to the right.

Yeah I was looking at a 10 week flower but it does seem they wil be done in 9. I dont have a microscope to check trikes at the moment though.. Its really hard to take good pics with all the light and tight space, but I will post more soon.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
oh ok didnt see the one on the right but it could go 3 weeks from looks hard to say from pic

H

HipHopAnonymous

Urgh...This part sucks. I dont wanna chop em if they will grow bigger, but I dont wanna push to far and past my mark either. Whatever I guess its a good problem to have, gotta get my ass a loop.

E

Elite Nugs

Check your Private Messages!! There ready to go. I need to know which ones. Cant post about it here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom