2 way humidity salt packs. DIY

• Thread starter Jermamma420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jermamma420

Jermamma420

I recently discovered that you can control humidity with saturated salts, and found very few places with information, but one place had instructions for use in storing tea : https://www.teaforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=177&sid=7fe570317910cfb19dc50db00721463f
I thought making my own rechargeable, 2 way humidity packs for larger, bucket sized quantities might make sense, and I like making my own stuff.
The link above shows how to make a salt mixture to achieve 70% RH (Relative Humidity), and explains how it works. I wanted to make them at lower 60's RH.
I made 3 batches, and it turned out that the original recipe from the link above was already very close.

Things you will need:
Scales for grams.
100 grams (ml) of distilled water (Tap water will work, but the results will vary).
17.5 grams Sugar
70 grams of Non iodized salt.
Container with barrier. (Jar/Tyvek)

Measure out 100ml of water, then fully dissolve all the sugar in it, before finally adding the salt and stirring it until it quits dissolving. There will be quite a bit of undissolved salt left in the bottom.
You can cap the jar off with Tyvek, or any water/contaminant resistant barrier, like a paper bag even. As long as gas can pass through it.
NOTE: it is important to dissolve the sugar first, before adding the salt, otherwise the water will be saturated with salt, and there will be no room for the sugar to dissolve.

You can experiment with the recipe. The more sugar you add, the lower the RH.
The recipes I tried, I only changed the sugar weight, and I only have 1, old, cheap hygrometer, so it could wrong:
20g sugar= 51% RH
18g sugar= 60% RH
17.5g sugar= 62% RH

Do these work? Heck yes! The AC in my house keeps my buds at a crispy 44% RH. Yikes. Every time I open a jar I can see my buds shrivel up, and steam escape ;) With storing larger quantities it gets even more important.
Using salts to control humidity is nothing new. It's been used to calibrate lab equipment since the dinosaur days, but I just learned about it, and did a search here, and didn't find anything, so I thought maybe somebody else might find it useful :)
I've also found the Tyvek membranes to be spill proof, though I've read they will leak over time.

Ingredients cropped
IMG 0046
IMG 0049
IMG 0050
IMG 0051
IMG 0057
IMG 0060
IMG 0063
IMG 0065
IMG 0066
IMG 0045
Top Bottom