200 Gallon Grow Bag Reuse?

• Thread starter bigmikeyg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Agreed bro. Knf and imo and em kicks ass. I utilize the techniques too. Love it. Got a banana peel, alfalfa, aloe vera, bat guano ferments ready and going for a cucumber flower and stinging nettle next. My nettle ran out and i’m neck deep in cucumber flowers (well for me anyways, its actually a tiny amount of flowers) :)
Every bit of waste from cannabis goes into compost with em. The reason i’m not calling it bokashi is because i havent prepared bokashi bran so its not the exact same thing but does similar shit, anaerobic.
Well its such a minor detail about the microbes. In either case they’re their, dormant or not. Leaving roots gives them starch to survive and also doesn’t fuck up with the established colonies. The air pathways the roots leave behind after decomposition is another bonus.
So, no to root sifting :)
when my brocille finish ,i plan on fermenting it ,full of calcium for both you and the soil,lol,if you have the em all that left is some wheat bran,i pay 16 bucks for a 50 lb bag of it at feed store,just mix the em1 with the bran until you just get a little moisture threw your fingers when you squeeze your hand and your done,imo you cant use to much just takes a little longer to dry,i mix 10 lbs bran and cant remember the exact amount of em1 i use,get the squeeze right and those contractor thrash bags at the home depot all i use,get as much air out as you can and tie the bag off,put in the dark,i do a 33 gal can,4 bags at 10 lbs each,sit it under a tree and let it go 2 weeks,spread out on a tarp a bag at a time,turn it now and then ,about hour later it dry and stored in the same can i made it in,got to watch the can though,the bags swell but not to the point of exploding,during the day the can lid goes up at night goes down haahah,if you really want to save money buy the mother culture em1,does 20 times what a activated bottle does,im using Pro Bio balanced original mother culture concentrate,i only make a quart at a time,same fermenting process other than you have to check when it ready by ph reading,3.5 and under use it,dont sweat the little white specks floating around ,but ya i ferment just about everything my property provides,cactus and brocille next,im well stocked for the upcoming season,i also use the fpjs em1 bokashi in my medical grows,works really well and less damn headache,confining them girls is a job ,mainly them finecky bitchs,but they mind hahahh

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
when my brocille finish ,i plan on fermenting it ,full of calcium for both you and the soil,lol,if you have the em all that left is some wheat bran,i pay 16 bucks for a 50 lb bag of it at feed store,just mix the em1 with the bran until you just get a little moisture threw your fingers when you squeeze your hand and your done,imo you cant use to much just takes a little longer to dry,i mix 10 lbs bran and cant remember the exact amount of em1 i use,get the squeeze right and those contractor thrash bags at the home depot all i use,get as much air out as you can and tie the bag off,put in the dark,i do a 33 gal can,4 bags at 10 lbs each,sit it under a tree and let it go 2 weeks,spread out on a tarp a bag at a time,turn it now and then ,about hour later it dry and stored in the same can i made it in,got to watch the can though,the bags swell but not to the point of exploding,during the day the can lid goes up at night goes down haahah,if you really want to save money buy the mother culture em1,does 20 times what a activated bottle does,im using Pro Bio balanced original mother culture concentrate,i only make a quart at a time,same fermenting process other than you have to check when it ready by ph reading,3.5 and under use it,dont sweat the little white specks floating around ,but ya i ferment just about everything my property provides,cactus and brocille next,im well stocked for the upcoming season,i also use the fpjs em1 bokashi in my medical grows,works really well and less damn headache,confining them girls is a job ,mainly them finecky bitchs,but they mind hahahh

Yeah bro. True organics rule. The bran is because i’m lazy. I know its super easy to make. The specs are fungi and they’re perfectly fine. LAB is also useful when making all this stuff. Can’t get mother culture over here but i can make shit ton of LAB which comes in the price of a cup of rice and a gallon of milk :)

madgrower

madgrower

Agreed bro. Knf and imo and em kicks ass. I utilize the techniques too. Love it. Got a banana peel, alfalfa, aloe vera, bat guano ferments ready and going for a cucumber flower and stinging nettle next. My nettle ran out and i’m neck deep in cucumber flowers (well for me anyways, its actually a tiny amount of flowers) :)
Every bit of waste from cannabis goes into compost with em. The reason i’m not calling it bokashi is because i havent prepared bokashi bran so its not the exact same thing but does similar shit, anaerobic.
Well its such a minor detail about the microbes. In either case they’re their, dormant or not. Leaving roots gives them starch to survive and also doesn’t fuck up with the established colonies. The air pathways the roots leave behind after decomposition is another bonus.
So, no to root sifting :)
So if I use a pot right away the old roots won’t bother the new plant indoors that is

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

ok so some of these things may apply ... some things don’t

let me give more info in this thread for ease

i have two 200 gallon cloth pots that i grew two 12 foot plants in last season

i had a stone base in the pot and about 3 big bushels of promix with microhaze in it i also added 3-4 worm casting 20 litre bags

these were 3-4 inch stumps left in cut down near the promix and one was just left 5 feet of stalk and stem when then3 feet of snow came and covered it :)

i have already started my plants downstairs in my tent and are training them and making them bushes before i transplant them outside in may.

i was hoping to get rid of the main root ball in the middle with a saws all and mix in some worm casting (and or anything that would be a good idea, need some ideas) once the pot is thawed.

drop the transplant in and grow for the summer

seems like i’m seeing this shouldn’t be a problem..

i think ill get in and try to till as much as i can in the bag without damaging it..

i think i’ll look at doin. some of the these things before next winter to help keep it in good shape for next next year :)

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

Earth worm castings. Most of the microbes are dormant if it is frozen but that doesn’t matter. The thing is roots decay in soil even when you have a healthy plant potted. The springtails eat them, lots of microbes and fungi eats them. You just have to provide a healthy dose of microbial life and let them do their thing. Which includes inhibiting the growth of bad microbes. I mean who sifts thru an acre of soil in a field? Fields freeze too. This just seems like a very unnecessary process to me.
so other than the worm casting what do you suggest i can mix in as soon as they thaw ?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
so other than the worm casting what do you suggest i can mix in as soon as they thaw ?

Bro, @oldskol4evr and i probably talked about every microbial product on the planet you can add :)
You don’t even need to add anything. These are just beneficial for your mix.

EM
IMO
LAB
EWC
Bokashi
AACT
and
Compost (in moderation)

Which ever ones you have at hand or the means of getting or making, use those. Look up organics threads and KNF (Korean Natural Farming). Also can look up FPEs and FPJs for your fertilizer needs.

bongstar

bongstar

Herb plants are strong and lots of methods will work fine , but the way I see it is Old Roots take up a lot if space in your bag, space that could be used for new roots. Some people say it's too much work. I agree it's alot of work. I sift through around 4000 to 5000 gallons of Coco a year. But I find it worth the time. It's a way to freshen your soil, make room for new root growth and still maintain all the microbial active goodness of the last grow. Don't stress on it too much absorb what ideas you think are the best and try them. Live and learn and develop your own system.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Herb plants are strong and lots of methods will work fine , but the way I see it is Old Roots take up a lot if space in your bag, space that could be used for new roots. Some people say it's too much work. I agree it's alot of work. I sift through around 4000 to 5000 gallons of Coco a year. But I find it worth the time. It's a way to freshen your soil, make room for new root growth and still maintain all the microbial active goodness of the last grow. Don't stress on it too much absorb what ideas you think are the best and try them. Live and learn and develop your own system.

I’m always emphasizing this aspect of growing. Its a personal journey and we find what suits us best. There is no one true way to grow and everything that gets you results are good practices. So i’ll not claim that KNF or no-till is the only way to grow.

As i said, its unnecessary labour in my eyes but if you find it useful, by all means go for it. But consider what we talked about in this thread. About the air pathways that decaying roots leave behind and microbial colonies and the stored starch in the roots and all that hippie aspects of it.

Everytime you till or sift your soil you’re actually breaking those colonies up. And yeah, they will colonize again but until then they won’t be as effective. So, all in all, to each his own but i really support the idea of leaving roots in there, especially if ones doing organic.

Once the plant is harvested, the roots in there are just fibers and starch. The volume or the area they cover is not very relevant imo as they don’t compete for nutrients and don’t grow anymore.

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

i appreciate all advice and tips and tricks.. i’m thinking of doing one bag sift and one bag not and see if i see a noticeable difference and decide which way to go the following year ..

bigmikeyg

bigmikeyg

5k wow !!! awesome seems like you must have some pointers on what works well for tools or methods ... what do you do ?

i was thinking lasting out a tarp and pulling soil out and tossing it on tarp and once i have most out start shaking and knocking off the promix back into bag

Latest posts

Top Bottom