200+ PESTICIDES TO BE ALLOWED ON WASHINGTON RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Don't even think about asking for "organic" Cannabis...

The Washington State Liquor Control Board,
along with the Washington State Department of Agriculture, on Friday announced that more than 200 pesticides will be allowed for use in the production, processing and handling of marijuana sold in the state-licensed stores.

If you were expecting pesticide-free pot from the state stores, so much for that idea… and don’t even think about asking for “organic” cannabis, as there certainly won’t be any of that.

Is it a coincidence that the WSLCB waited until the day after their “public input” meeting to announce that state-store marijuana will have all these pesticides in it?

One can only imagine what the patients who spoke that night would have had to say about that. Many of them have compromised immune systems, compromised liver function, or both — which makes it a really bad idea to ingest bug poison.

By the way, you’re not going to be allowed to grow your own, pesticide-free marijuana, because under I-502, no private home growing is allowed. And as the WSLCB told us again at their Nov. 13, 2013 meeting, they’re recommending that the right to grow — which Washington patients have had for 15 years now – be taken away, as well. [Editor update 12/13/13: The WSLCB is recommending patients be allowed to grow up to six plants.]

You see, it’s “inefficient,” they say, to have more than one place — you guessed it, THEM! — to buy your cannabis.

Never mind that plenty of patients won’t be able to afford state-store prices. Never mind that plenty of them don’t need to be ingesting pesticides. It’s time to make some phat pot profits, people!

With 25 percent taxes applied to cannabis at the growing, processing, and retail levels (yes, 75 percent tax), that marijuana, which could legally have had more than 200 pesticides used on it, will cost you pretty dearly. Estimates have run as low as $15 and as high as $50 a gram.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, if they (they being the WA liquor control board or whatever they're called) read it on a website like the guy who got the whole urgency ordinance thing going did... and seriously, he and the board used the bullshit he found on the boards as their 'information', then we actually shouldn't be surprised.

How that would jive with WA ag I'm not so sure.

iCultivate

iCultivate

I didn't even know there were 200 different pesticides on the market!

Looking at the quality of tobacco, this doesn't surprise me, but I would have thought an organic option might at least be present. What's stopping individual dispensaries from having organic suppliers? They would be able to corner the market if they did.

-- iCultivate --

auldone

auldone

The 3 person panel did change their mind and recommended that Med patients still be allowed to grow at home. I believe it was 3 plants. maybe 6 but they did back off the "No home growing".... That being said, Washington is gointo fuck this all up...

PaperStreet

PaperStreet

Yea man i just cant believe all the change real recent too i remember a few years ago me and the homies where sitting around blazeing talking about stuff and how i said give it 10-15 yrs and they would have it locked up and we would most likely all be buying our smoke from local stored in joint/cig packz they thought i was crazy but u see the explosion of the med states just a few yrs ago now the explosion of rec states we will see in the next couple years its fucked man its all crazy

auldone

auldone

yeah had that same conversation with some peeps, (maybe you were there?? lol) and yeah we all just knew shit would go sideways, but I didnt think this bad...

thump easy

thump easy

Don't even think about asking for "organic" Cannabis...

The Washington State Liquor Control Board, along with the Washington State Department of Agriculture, on Friday announced that more than 200 pesticides will be allowed for use in the production, processing and handling of marijuana sold in the state-licensed stores.

If you were expecting pesticide-free pot from the state stores, so much for that idea… and don’t even think about asking for “organic” cannabis, as there certainly won’t be any of that.

Is it a coincidence that the WSLCB waited until the day after their “public input” meeting to announce that state-store marijuana will have all these pesticides in it?

One can only imagine what the patients who spoke that night would have had to say about that. Many of them have compromised immune systems, compromised liver function, or both — which makes it a really bad idea to ingest bug poison.

By the way, you’re not going to be allowed to grow your own, pesticide-free marijuana, because under I-502, no private home growing is allowed. And as the WSLCB told us again at their Nov. 13, 2013 meeting, they’re recommending that the right to grow — which Washington patients have had for 15 years now – be taken away, as well. [Editor update 12/13/13: The WSLCB is recommending patients be allowed to grow up to six plants.]

You see, it’s “inefficient,” they say, to have more than one place — you guessed it, THEM! — to buy your cannabis.

Never mind that plenty of patients won’t be able to afford state-store prices. Never mind that plenty of them don’t need to be ingesting pesticides. It’s time to make some phat pot profits, people!

With 25 percent taxes applied to cannabis at the growing, processing, and retail levels (yes, 75 percent tax), that marijuana, which could legally have had more than 200 pesticides used on it, will cost you pretty dearly. Estimates have run as low as $15 and as high as $50 a gram.

got a budy of mine that seas they pay top dollar for soil out door in washington i cant believe that they got for 3 to 5 an elbow is that true???

donmekka

donmekka

I didn't even know there were 200 different pesticides on the market!

Looking at the quality of tobacco, this doesn't surprise me, but I would have thought an organic option might at least be present. What's stopping individual dispensaries from having organic suppliers? They would be able to corner the market if they did.

-- iCultivate --
with out a organic certifation you can not label your product organic...its a 10k fine per package or soothing like that.and we know the USDA is not even gonna touch marijuana

oregonized

oregonized

with out a organic certifation you can not label your product organic...its a 10k fine per package or soothing like that.and we know the USDA is not even gonna touch marijuana

Agree. But, it is also from an infrastructure standpoint. The entire USDA program has 17 inspectors as of the end of 2012. The certification process is a wee bit onerous too and the cost would already add to the unattainable tax scheme.

But, maybe shops can use other certifying processes, although this certainly affects cost in some way.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gotta get it on the list of approved ag products, guess that'll be next. Because I'm still trying to figure out how a single state can approve pesticides for use on cannabis when the USDA has none. How's that work, exactly?

sky high

sky high

The same way laws can be passed that go directly against Federal drug laws, sea.

And...as with "organic"produce....the label doesn't mean the produce is absent pesticides/other treatments. I sure don't wanna smoke Avid.....but I also don't wanna combust pyrithiums, neem, Ed's mix, or any other believed"safe" application because we don't KNOW what even "organic" or "natural" products do when they are combusted either.
I know folks who won't use the stronger chems for fear of toxicity but they are continually spraying...right up til flower... all sorts of "safe" products....believing somehow that as long as they aren't using "chems" they are protected from harm/are growing responsibly/etc. Does anyone really know for sure?

Top Bottom