2011 outdoor grow plot development/grow journal

• Thread starter 420somehow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

420somehow

Hi, thanks for checking this out...

Reason for this thread is to hopefully have a good resource for new outdoor growers planning thier plots, and a Q & A is always welcome. Fresh into a new life as a caregiver in a legal state is how my dream began over a year ago. I am the first to admit that I AM NOT a master grower, but wish to earn that title someday.
I am deciding to dedicate my time to spread my(and hopefully others) personal knowledge as I have found unlimited resources through forums. Prior grow history stands as this, indoors I have grown about 300+ plants to harvest using hydro at first and now into organic soil. I have yet to tend with coco but have grown in hydroton(ebb and grow + clones), rockwool(mostly cloning, ebb and flow), sunshine mix + nutes, HD peat moss w/additives(now).
2010 outdoor grow proved to be an unscheduled miracle, oh the power of nature. Having very little money and resources I spent $30 on 1 bag of mircle grow(I know...), 1 bag of river rock and 10 bags of cheap top soil at wally world. Needless to say I did no research. I transplanted 4 of the slowest growing, they didn't qualify for flower haha, on 5-15. At that time they were 8"-10" tall and 6"-8" wide, about 2 months old in a 1g container. At the time I was hydro, so every res change(didn't matter if in veg or flo) I'd save and water outside.
I dug holes that were about 5' deep in a V shape, at the bottom I put 6" river rock. Then top soil, and MG soil around the root ball. The next two or three weeks were rough as I learned it is hail season in May. You could catch me every hailstorm running with 5g buckets to cover the little babies. Growth was minimal the first three weeks. Then BAM, long story short, I harvested 1.25 avg. per plant!!! 5 LB's of dank weed, ended up being in some dispensaries...
Fast forward to today, same plot, new plan- 2 lb's per plant(fingers crossed). My area is a fenced circle with a diameter of about 50'. What I have done so far is secured the entrance with 6' fencing and placed 80% of an interior fence which is old gates and green posts about 8' feet from outer fence. I dug a massive hole for the main plot, aprox. 2' deep by 23' diameter, the outer ring is for a dog run which I'll adopt a couple badasses from the pound for 24/7 security during veg and preflower. My plan is to not only gain 2' of verticle grow room, but act as a wind block as well. From there I plan to dig 6 plant sites.
Each plant site will be the following; 2'x4' straight down, the top 18" will be lined with plastic for a barrier/water usage issues. From there it will be the classic V shape hole ending at about 6'. The bottom layer of 18" will be filled with river rock. That leaves me with about 25 cu ft of organic soil, with a mulch area of 6", I plan on straw/chipped stems. For the soil, well that's where I'm beating my head against the wall.
Two options, soilless or organic(peat moss/perlite/lime[pH], or a peat moss w/amendments). Why do I read that a 2'x6' hole is good??? Even as small as 18"??? I am going 6' deep, do the roots not penetrate that deep? A scientific answer would please me, as I've read multiple threads on 18"x6' as experience but no side by sides... Now that I think about it, I could be encouraged to do side by sides.
My strains are a Master Kush that has grown fantastically-24" now a bush, a seed I started(WWxMK maby) 14" now skinny, Grape Ape-18"x12" now a bush, Blueberry and a white widow from a 1g's (the smallest ones) now in 16 oz cups-5"'s or so, and last but not least pic is of a biobucket of master kush that's going outside. pics are 2 months old, it's in a 15g cont. and a 18"x18" bush. Pics, pics, pics I know. My batt. are out, here are a few that are out dated. Last one is master kush.

2011 outdoor grow plot developmentgrow journal
2011 outdoor grow plot developmentgrow journal 2
2011 outdoor grow plot developmentgrow journal 3
2011 outdoor grow plot developmentgrow journal 4
2011 outdoor grow plot developmentgrow journal 5
Mogrow

Mogrow

look forward to your journal 420somehow. Sounds like you're gonna run some top notch gear. Like the looks of your fence and area, I see some weeds growing in there, maybe you can amend the soil that is there???? Marijuana grows out more than it grows down, i would say twice as much.... nothing scientific, just experience.
peace mogrow

H

HolyMunchies

I guess I was in a similar situation a few years back I basically threw a bag of soil in a hole and still pulled about a pound per with no further labor.

This year I am trying to do it right. I am on a pretty tight budget. I went to talk with "the guys" at my hydro shop there really awesome not the corporate bs that just try to sell you everything.

I wanted to amend my own soil this year but wasnt exactly sure what would work best and be cost effective. After explaining my needs we came to two options.

1. Sunshine #4 with coco mixed in. (about 30 bucks for 3.8 cu ft)
2. Roots Organic 707 (30 bucks for 3 cu ft/30gallon bag)

I asked about the organic miracle grow soil and they almost fell over laughing. I'm going with 707 due to less mixing and it being a more active soil.

A 2ft x 6ft hole is better due to the roots being shallow look at those smart pots there 6 ft diameter pots but only about 18 inches deep. A hole any deeper than say 2 ft 6in is imo a lot of wasted time digging.

My holes this year will be 3ft x 3ft x 18 in. I would make them wider but dont have the luxury of being able to conceal plants that may get 5lbs+. My goal is 2lb low end with 3lb avg.

Top Bottom