2022 Project Grow Log #1 How many pots should I cram into a 4 x 4 tent? Nine maybe?

• Thread starter dirtyoldman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Lighting: Hydro Farm 600w HID in 4 X 4 tent and Hydro Farm 400w HID in a 24 x 60 inch closet. Switching off from Halide to HPS shortly after flowering.
Strains: Mataro Blue (indica dominant) and White Widow (sativa dominant).
Nutrients: The Fox Farm Trio
Additonal nutrients: Neem Oil and Cal Mag Plus
Medium: Pro-mix BX Myco

Any help with this project is greatly appreciated. I may need it. It is my most ambitious project yet and I could have problems like all projects. I will post pictures. I can't compete with the pictures I've seen in contests but there are some nice pics on my profile. I've had some nice yields and kick-ass potency through the years. How many 5-gal. pots should I try to cram into a tent? I like to grow plants up to about 3 to 4 feet and I want to utilize HST and LST. I have a garden wire training thing I'm experimenting with. Like somewhat of a cage. I'm copying others' techniques. I'm a veteran grower but this is my first tent grow. I'm about to roll with a dual-room project and would really like to flower both rooms simultaneously if the ventilation works out. I may need to combine and "Y" the outtakes. The closet room will be a nursery of clones and the tent shut down after the harvest. And then I'll shut down the closet and only run the 4 x 4 for a few months. And then take a breather and maybe shop for new genetics. Hopefully about that time I'll be jarring up a good load of potent hash.

It's going to be a hash summer and the two strains I'm growing, White Widow and Mataro Blue, are known for high trichome production. Come along for the ride and watch me kick out some hash. I made a couple little jars of Blue Cheese hash last summer when I had those plants covered in trichomes. Even the scrap from that produced hash. And now I'm hooked on the hash train. I want more hash! When I put a little bit of that in the vape with weed it really lights me up. And sadly, I'm almost out of that sweet Blue Cheese hash.

So how many five-gallon pots should I cram into this tent? Assembling the tent caused me considerable pain this morning because I pulled a shoulder muscle trying to stretch the base last night. Got it mounted but had to quit because I was in pain. And then grimacing in pain finished the assembly this AM. The cage was a too-large diameter for the base. It was way off and I did tap the joints flush. It was too late to save my shoulder but I finally figured out that It was time to dig out the hack saw and trim 3/4 inch from one segment and 1/2 an inch from another. AFTER I pull a muscle and with a dull-ass blade. I was afraid I was going to rip the base trying to stretch it over with channel locks. But after a day of heavy ibuprofen therapy I'm feeling chipper and happy. And stoned. Although I'm taking it easy.

I've got 6 fem. White Widow and 9 fem. Mataro Blue seedlings. From BC Seed Co. Almost two weeks old. 100% germination like all seeds I get from BCSC. They're up and growing and the White Widow are being consistent with growing fast. Unlike most growers, as I've recorded in past logs, I start adding nutrients as soon as the first true leaves appear. They jump like rockets. I'm convinced this helps ward off disease as well. I've already grown WW from this source and it was spectacular. The best plant in the room, not a single ball or banana. And the heaviest yield. The taste was incredible and it made such potent hash. It had that unique spicy, perfumy taste and aroma. So I know I've got good genetics here. I'm cloning it off this time. I couldn't believe how fast the single WW plant grew. For most of the project it was twice the size of the others and the same age!

The grow tent is nice, I re-enforced the frame with thick gardening wire and tape. I should have enough equipment stocked and hoses and what not. Some of it new in the box. Brand new lamp. Just need a tower fan and some Big Bloom and I think I'm done buying stuff. I have a new closet fan coming. Those things never last. I hope I can make this tower fan last longer than those. I burn them out in a year or less running non-stop. The 4-inch hose fans have been champs and I have two of those ready. I think one of them just ran non-stop for almost 2 years. I use in-line ventilation fans as well to suck cold air in from outside or from the air conditioner. Some of those are surprisingly powerful. And they last for years. Hopefully the fans get the job done. This is the most powerful lamp I've owned and it is going to get hot in there. I was grateful that the tent had plenty of 4-inch hose ports as well as 6-inch. I thought maybe they would only have 6-inch ports. I had adapters ready. And I also have a big 6-inch 440 CFM fan with light hours on it. That thing is noisy but I may need to fire it up. The first test burn will tell.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #2

Next up: when plants reach about 13 inches in these 16-ounce cups the tent gets fired up. They'll be transplanted in the very edge of the 5-gallon pots, bent over and pinned down in the first stage of LST.

White widow sextet showing why I love its genetics. There might be one Mataro Blue nearby in the pic. There are five Mataro Blues in the other picture with four smaller Mataro Blues that were planted later. But the five were planted at the same time as the WW and look at the difference. Treated exactly the same. The smaller four I have screwed up by over-watering and I don't know if any of them will make it. Maybe they'll stay locked up for awhile and then take off. Who knows? And I've burned the first true leaves on many of the plants by applying Neem Oil solution at a too-early date. I think the combination of the acidic neem and the little bit of detergent emusifier burned the tender leaves. I've had similar problems in the past and I certainly hope it isn't the bio myco. I've never heard of anyone else having that problem with the mychorizze or however they spell that. It's supposed to be natural, right? I may be re-thinking my two-room strategy for later and just concentrate on the clones for this room. I might keep the Mataros alive so I have the luxury of replacing any of the ones in the tent should I have a problem. But I don't think I'll be finishing any in the closet this time. Next time.

My second harvest this year should come probably in August. I've always gotten better weight with clones. You get to pick and choose among any phenos, for one thing. I'll be numbering these plants with tags and indexing the clones to keep track of them. And try to reference and denote phenotype later. There is likely another set of clones coming later in the summer. I'm not going to want to let go of these genetics. This White Widow is such a strong grower.

My new fan came yesterday unassembled and that was fine with me. The oscillationg 12-inch fan was a perfect fit running upside-down without the blade guard. I like it so much it's going in the grow tent and I'm saving floor space. And buying a second one for the closet. A member here recommended a tower fan, and I think it's a good idea. But I don't want to give up an inch of floor.

Some people online say Mataro Blue can reach 24% THC levels. Hmmm. That beats estimations of White Widow. This is going to get interesting. But I can see this strain is more difficult to grow. There are growers here that appear so professional they make me look lame by comparison. But I keep plugging along and learning. Maybe before I kick the bucket I'll be as good as they are.

I notice some indoor growers have increased to 7 gallon grow bags. I think I just saw that on this site. Interesting. A guy with an ag degree from Penn State told me to do that, too. He said it is optimum. But until I can find cheap 7-gal. plastic nursery pots I won't upgrade. I like to see those in person before buying. I want the thicker ones. But anything that is large, molded plastic is zooming in price, notice? I was shocked to see that quality plastic garbage cans can now cost a fortune. People will be stealing them in the city. The other day I looked at them online and some were $200 to $300. 3 bills for a trash can. Steel cans are now cheaper than the cheapest plastic cans.

IMG 8222

IMG 8223
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

36 monocola plants in 2 gallon pots is the physical max of the tent. 6 each way. But you'd need more light if you're going to cram it that full, I use almost 600 watts of LEDs to keep things happy.

7 gallon pots are a waste of dirt, especially inside. I started off with 5, then moved down to 3, now I only use 2 gallon pots. The process of uptaking moisture and nutes from the roots can happen more frequently with small pots, which allows for more control.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
36 monocola plants in 2 gallon pots is the physical max of the tent. 6 each way. But you'd need more light if you're going to cram it that full, I use almost 600 watts of LEDs to keep things happy.

7 gallon pots are a waste of dirt, especially inside. I started off with 5, then moved down to 3, now I only use 2 gallon pots. The process of uptaking moisture and nutes from the roots can happen more frequently with small pots, which allows for more control.
Lighting: Hydro Farm 600w HID in 4 X 4 tent and Hydro Farm 400w HID in a 24 x 60 inch closet. Switching off from Halide to HPS shortly after flowering.
Strains: Mataro Blue (indica dominant) and White Widow (sativa dominant).
Nutrients: The Fox Farm Trio
Additonal nutrients: Neem Oil and Cal Mag Plus
Medium: Pro-mix BX Myco

Any help with this project is greatly appreciated. I may need it. It is my most ambitious project yet and I could have problems like all projects. I will post pictures. I can't compete with the pictures I've seen in contests but there are some nice pics on my profile. I've had some nice yields and kick-ass potency through the years. How many 5-gal. pots should I try to cram into a tent? I like to grow plants up to about 3 to 4 feet and I want to utilize HST and LST. I have a garden wire training thing I'm experimenting with. Like somewhat of a cage. I'm copying others' techniques. I'm a veteran grower but this is my first tent grow. I'm about to roll with a dual-room project and would really like to flower both rooms simultaneously if the ventilation works out. I may need to combine and "Y" the outtakes. The closet room will be a nursery of clones and the tent shut down after the harvest. And then I'll shut down the closet and only run the 4 x 4 for a few months. And then take a breather and maybe shop for new genetics. Hopefully about that time I'll be jarring up a good load of potent hash.

It's going to be a hash summer and the two strains I'm growing, White Widow and Mataro Blue, are known for high trichome production. Come along for the ride and watch me kick out some hash. I made a couple little jars of Blue Cheese hash last summer when I had those plants covered in trichomes. Even the scrap from that produced hash. And now I'm hooked on the hash train. I want more hash! When I put a little bit of that in the vape with weed it really lights me up. And sadly, I'm almost out of that sweet Blue Cheese hash.

So how many five-gallon pots should I cram into this tent? Assembling the tent caused me considerable pain this morning because I pulled a shoulder muscle trying to stretch the base last night. Got it mounted but had to quit because I was in pain. And then grimacing in pain finished the assembly this AM. The cage was a too-large diameter for the base. It was way off and I did tap the joints flush. It was too late to save my shoulder but I finally figured out that It was time to dig out the hack saw and trim 3/4 inch from one segment and 1/2 an inch from another. AFTER I pull a muscle and with a dull-ass blade. I was afraid I was going to rip the base trying to stretch it over with channel locks. But after a day of heavy ibuprofen therapy I'm feeling chipper and happy. And stoned. Although I'm taking it easy.

I've got 6 fem. White Widow and 9 fem. Mataro Blue seedlings. From BC Seed Co. Almost two weeks old. 100% germination like all seeds I get from BCSC. They're up and growing and the White Widow are being consistent with growing fast. Unlike most growers, as I've recorded in past logs, I start adding nutrients as soon as the first true leaves appear. They jump like rockets. I'm convinced this helps ward off disease as well. I've already grown WW from this source and it was spectacular. The best plant in the room, not a single ball or banana. And the heaviest yield. The taste was incredible and it made such potent hash. It had that unique spicy, perfumy taste and aroma. So I know I've got good genetics here. I'm cloning it off this time. I couldn't believe how fast the single WW plant grew. For most of the project it was twice the size of the others and the same age!

The grow tent is nice, I re-enforced the frame with thick gardening wire and tape. I should have enough equipment stocked and hoses and what not. Some of it new in the box. Brand new lamp. Just need a tower fan and some Big Bloom and I think I'm done buying stuff. I have a new closet fan coming. Those things never last. I hope I can make this tower fan last longer than those. I burn them out in a year or less running non-stop. The 4-inch hose fans have been champs and I have two of those ready. I think one of them just ran non-stop for almost 2 years. I use in-line ventilation fans as well to suck cold air in from outside or from the air conditioner. Some of those are surprisingly powerful. And they last for years. Hopefully the fans get the job done. This is the most powerful lamp I've owned and it is going to get hot in there. I was grateful that the tent had plenty of 4-inch hose ports as well as 6-inch. I thought maybe they would only have 6-inch ports. I had adapters ready. And I also have a big 6-inch 440 CFM fan with light hours on it. That thing is noisy but I may need to fire it up. The first test burn will tell.
i can’t find any pictures of your hashish?
you said in jars?
did you mean kief, uncleaned resin?
post some pictures

B

buhdda

that depends on what you are growing, I have a 4 x 4 x 8 foot tent with 2 photoperiod plants that is out growing the tent My wife wants me to put them into the spare bathroom to grow them into completion & grow the autos in it

B

buhdda

you said in jars?
post some pictures
I have a 2000 watt grow light from California lightworks a very small light looked like a headlight out of a car but I put it in the 4 x 4 tent, I never seen anything like it , almost as good as a HID, which the plants seemed more stockier than the LEDs, that's from my experience, but we have some that think they know their lights or their work they are trying, the only issue I have is those who don't know anything trying to sabotage others plants as I seen others trying to do in the past then I see them saying it made it worse & seen the other thought it was funny, it really burned if the fire was 4 foot high

SSgrower

SSgrower

I have started 5 plants in a 4x4 but I enjoy 3 gals and let them get huge, I just bought a new LED from Philzon 450w to increase yield as I want more for myself, at least my cannabis sells well @7 a gram, Cheers,SS

B

buhdda

I have started 5 plants in a 4x4 but I enjoy 3 gals and let them get huge, I just bought a new LED from Philzon 450w to increase yield as I want more for myself, at least my cannabis sells well @7 a gram, Cheers,SS
I got the same thing myself I have 2 photos with a California lightworks SX 1000 was little more

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

you said in jars?
post some pictures
I've already vaped it all. Basically just used a hash screen and frosty buds. Have not had enough volume yet to bother with doing bubble hash.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #3

VENTILATION SET-UP AND TEST BURN COMPLETED.

I'm very stoked at the ease in which this is coming together. Because rarely is anything easy for me. I feel like Charlie Brown some times. Between two nasty health issues and the flu thing hurting my business I've had a rough time for over 2 years. For over a year I couldn't be on my feet for more than an hour. Finally a neuro surgeon mostly solved my problem. A jaw infection caused me to not be able to talk for a month. And complications from that lasted 8 months. My jaw bone kept disintegrating and pieces of it coming out into my mouth. It was awful. I was pulling bone shards out of my gums all the time with tweezers. Many had to be removed by a Doctor. I got tired of eating yogurt and apple sauce, I can tell you that. I couldn't source stock because of the pandemic shutting down my sources. But I have acquired new stock for my sales and hopefully things will get better. I managed to keep my high credit rating intact but the crisis wiped out my savings. To add hurt to the mess my PC motherboard fried right as I was setting up a new web site for Black Friday. And I had to go spend like $2000 on a new computer and new software. Because my old software wouldn't work properly with Windows 11. Then Dell sent me sub-standard parts on the build and the new PC had to go into two different shops for upgrades. I just keep taking hits. $2000 in car repairs during the pandemic as well. I feel like a punching bag. Glad I had good bud during this mess. And now I have a nice gaming computer with a premier video card.

The test burn has awesome results. Running the 600W at Super Lumen strength has the tent at 82F. Can't complain about that.

Now it's time to transplant and begin the LST procedure. I have noted the advice to not do more than 6 but I'm going to go crazy with it anyways and do 9 (6 White Widows and 3 Mataro Blues). 10 crosses the threshhold for a felony here. Feminized seeds often produce hermaphrodites and although I some times take the risk and keep the hermies and just pinch the male flowers off? I can't do that with this tent. So if I see a hermie it will be disposed of. That's important in the sense that I'm doing some extensive cloning during this project. Because my closet grow room is becoming a big nursery. I might do some breeding in there in the future, too. Now that I have the luxury of a 2-room operation. So I'm already shopping for regular seeds for 2023. I'm going to grow males to maturity for the first time.

If the tent gets too crowded I may just decide to cull the herd. But I'm going to use a procedure of constructing a simple wire cage for the plants this time to guide them in controlled fashion. So I can get a "sea of green" effect without a guide net. The first step is to bend these girls over and pin them down (that sounds kinky, doesn't it?). They are ready to transplant and I'll begin that later tonight. I was inspired to try this wire cage effect by two guys on Jorge Cervantes' site. One an American, the other in Ukraine. The guy in Ukraine was getting incredible yields by hanging a naked 1000w bulb vertically and building a circular cage of chicken wire around it. Guiding the cannabis like vines around the cage. The pictures were remarkable. I think Jorge's site is defunct or under a re-launch or something. It was neglected and broken anyways. It was getting spammed to death and members drifted away. Significant members also passed away.

I'm stoked also with the strong genetics of this White Widow. Look at the difference between the WW's on the left and the 3 Mataros on the right. Look at all the side growth on the WW's already. These are going to kick ass with HST and LST during this grow. The seeds were all planted at the same time. Mataro is somewhat of an exotic strain and has a reputation for high potency. This indica-dominant is obviously a slower grower than the sativa-dominant WW's.

IMG 8263

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #3

All plants loaded into tent.

One WW that was pinned down two days ago is already looking nicely like a shrub. They usually start doing this with in hours. The side branches will react that quickly and reach for the light. If any newbies see my log I highly recommend this method of Low Stress Training. It will dramatically increase your yields. And added with High Stress Training (topping) even more so. HST will by necessity be applied to the WW's because they are faster growers. And I would like the Mataros to have a chance to catch up for a more even canopy in the tent. Will I need to cull the herd? We'll see. But it's going to get crowded in there for sure! I use some gardening wire and make little corkscrews to pin down the plants. As side branches develop I'll also pin some of them down low for even more development. I want bushes in there because bushes have gotten me 2 ounces per plant in the past. I might get a pound this time! Woo hoo! And this time I have a stronger light. Still deliberating whether to dig out my 15lb CO2 tank and regulator for the tent. Haven't used it in like 5 years. I always believed CO2 had negligible positive effect because it has to be done just right. Otherwise you're just wasting your money. And it will probably be costly to fill it up. The last fill was $45 at a welder's shop. And I couldn't even keep my own tank because they ship them out and only do exchanges. They didn't have any filled ones on site at the time. So I had to do another 60-mile round trip to pick it up. I don't have any other alternative. Where I lived before I filled it up at a soda bottling plant close by and they charged me $30. The weld shop took my 20lb tank and gave me back a 15lb tank. Bummer. Some times they won't take one that has an expired inspection. In my state they have to be stamped every five years or they won't fill them. So I have to pay for a test too. I might just skip it. Before the nursery pots were filled they were sterilized with a bleach solution and scrubbed. And, a paper towel was placed to block the drainage holes from the dirt leaking out during the process.

IMG 8267
IMG 8268
IMG 8269
IMG 8271
Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

What medium are you growing in? Usually for best results we water soil too runoff unless organic - either way looks pretty dry and inconsistent?

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

What medium are you growing in? Usually for best results we water soil too runoff unless organic - either way looks pretty dry and inconsistenM
Pro Mix Bio Myco. My technique is not to completely soak all the potting soil right at transplanting. It makes no sense since the root ball is only the size of a 16-ounce cup. Soaking the entire pot could present a danger of overwatering. And add too much humidity to the room for my taste. And that promotes fungal diseases. I add water a little at a time. Next time the watering will include nutrients. They're due.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Just wanted to mention a disabled 67-year old woman with fibromyalgia who can't afford medical marijuana may be checking into the site. Give her a welcome if I miss her post. I told her to use "fibro sufferer" in the title of her first post so it can be found more easily.

Top Bottom