**2nd Grow** SpiderFarmer SF4000 , NFTG #4 -Sour Power-Hella Jelly-Strawberry Cheesecake- 3x3 Tent

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Dothraki when it comes to water science, nobody here does a better job of explaining it than our very own super hero - @Aqua Man

He's got a few threads that speak specifically about water quality, pH, the difference between alkaline water and water that has high alkalinity (they are not the same.) Hopefully he'll stop by and share some of H2O knowledge ... in the meantime, search for his posts on the subject. I think if you understand the science behind this, you'll no longer feel the need to pH your water prior to feeding plants in soil. That has its place in coco/hydro ... not soil.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Dothraki when it comes to water science, nobody here does a better job of explaining it than our very own super hero - @Aqua Man

He's got a few threads that speak specifically about water quality, pH, the difference between alkaline water and water that has high alkalinity (they are not the same.) Hopefully he'll stop by and share some of H2O knowledge ... in the meantime, search for his posts on the subject. I think if you understand the science behind this, you'll no longer feel the need to pH your water prior to feeding plants in soil. That has its place in coco/hydro ... not soil.
Hey brother,

@Dothraki what media are you in?

And can you link your local water report or screenshot shot and remove info youd rather not share like general location?

0.5 is getting up there but there is a chance it could still be good.

In the meantime read this on PH. If in soil then imo you have no need to ph adjust other than for the purpose of mixing nutrients. The soil will buffer the PH.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Hey brother,

@Dothraki what media are you in?

And can you link your local water report or screenshot shot and remove info youd rather not share like general location?

0.5 is getting up there but there is a chance it could still be good.

In the meantime read this on PH. If in soil then imo you have no need to ph adjust other than for the purpose of mixing nutrients. The soil will buffer the PH.

Ok cool, here‘s the pics.. I’m in NFTG # 4 soil along with their most basic regiment in their line, which is calcium based pre-digested nutrients. Final containers will be 3 gallon if that matters.

DD2A7A7C 453D 400B A495 AE19DE90B9EA
DCB031D7 0969 41A5 8A2C D25EC103A808
22C59168 BEE6 4A40 8E14 179DF4FA8E1B

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok cool, here‘s the pics.. I’m in NFTG # 4 soil along with their most basic regiment in their line, which is calcium based pre-digested nutrients. Final containers will be 3 gallon if that matters.

View attachment 1271887View attachment 1271888View attachment 1271889
Alkalinity is perfectly good even for hydro. Sodium is a bit high but if you water to runoff is should be ok. Ideally you would cut this with RO water at a 50/50 ratio. But its not a must and while its not perfect id say its usable.

Ideally we want under 20ppm of sodium. Funny they actually state that about people in the report. The lower the better. If you cut it 50/50 with RO that would put you about 15ppm and thats a very reasonable level to see no issues with. But like i say its usable

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Alkalinity is perfectly good even for hydro. Sodium is a bit high but if you water to runoff is should be ok. Ideally you would cut this with RO water at a 50/50 ratio. But its not a must and while its not perfect id say its usable.

Ideally we want under 20ppm of sodium. Funny they actually state that about people in the report. The lower the better. If you cut it 50/50 with RO that would put you about 15ppm and thats a very reasonable level to see no issues with. But like i say its usable

Would it make sense for @Dothraki to invest in a 2 stage filtration system? Something like a sediment filter and an small micron activated carbon filter. You can pick those up very cheap on ebay. Use garden hose fittings to make a portable unit.

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

Cool thank you!! I’m also wondering…like @MIGrampaUSA said about the filter…could I use distilled or spring water 50/50 with tap if I’m unable to get a filter for this grow?

Also wondering if I shouldn’t be drinking this water on a daily basis lol

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Cool thank you!! I’m also wondering…like @MIGrampaUSA said about the filter…could I use distilled or spring water 50/50 with tap if I’m unable to get a filter for this grow?

Buying a filter for your drinking water is common :p most people use BRITA's even in first world countries. Unless you enjoy fluoride and chlorine that is.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Seems ok to me unless you have an advisory.

With the RO its just hook up to the sink.

Spring water is usually high in minerals so test the ppm first.

Id suggest cut it 50/50 with either distilled or RO

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Buying a filter for your drinking water is common :p most people use BRITA's even in first world countries. Unless you enjoy fluoride and chlorine that is.
His chlorine is 0.72ppm on average and fluoride is 0.62.

Its at very safe levels. But if concerned 1 gram of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) per 100gal will neutralize 1ppm of chlorine or chloramine.

Your right though a decent carbon filter will remove some or all of them.

Just a note drinking distilled or zero water is not a good thing on a long term basis from my understanding. Minerals are also important to us

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

His chlorine is 0.72ppm on average and fluoride is 0.62.

Its at very safe levels. But if concerned 1 gram of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) per 100gal will neutralize 1ppm of chlorine or chloramine.

Your right though a decent carbon filter will remove some or all of them.

Just a note drinking distilled or zero water is not a good thing on a long term basis from my understanding. Minerals are also important to us

Yes you can 100% get VERY sick from drinking distilled or RO water.

NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. My plants almost died from 2 days of RO water I don't even want to think about what happens to me :p

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. My plants almost died from 2 days of RO water I don't even want to think about what happens to me :p
Feom my understanding it can actually strip minerals from your body. Not looked into it that much but enough to feel the same way you do lol

Dothraki

Dothraki

Found a fungus gnat today. I’m only assuming there will be many more to come. I wonder if the larvae is what’s stunting these seedlings?

growsince79

growsince79

Whats the difference between ro and bottled drinking water? Both are sold at the store for human consumption and both test under 20-30 ppm. Is the doctor trying to kill me? They serve ro water in the waiting room. LOL I call fake news bs

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Whats the difference between ro and bottled drinking water? Both are sold at the store for human consumption and both test under 20-30 ppm. Is the doctor trying to kill me? They serve ro water in the waiting room. LOL I call fake news bs

RO has 0 trace minerals. Drink some for a week and tell me how you feel/look :)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ask your doctor next time :) bottled water usually is between 400-800ppm test it yourself. They dont sell bottles of RO or distilled ad drinking water

growsince79

growsince79

Ask your doctor next time :) bottled water usually is between 400-800ppm test it yourself. They dont sell bottles of RO or distilled ad drinking water
The machine at the store that fills the big bottles claims to be RO water, its sold for drinking and is under 20ppm. @ 35 cent/gal its a good deal. The bottle of niagara I'm drinking right now just tested at 7ppm.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

The RO from the our store machine tests at 20ppm and the bottled water I buy tests at 15ppm. Been drinking it for years.

Seems like I might need to re-adjust my line of thinking on this.

I still think that I already lack micronutrients and that my plants are probably fed better than I am, RO water probably won't do me any favors.

Top Bottom