**2nd Grow** SpiderFarmer SF4000 , NFTG #4 -Sour Power-Hella Jelly-Strawberry Cheesecake- 3x3 Tent

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

Hey there, I only grow in peat mixes, I find when I run my 7.2ph water through a gallon of soil...no plants....the run off is 6.5...the soil has buffers in it to balance the ph...try it with your water just to see what you get....like G79 says normally you don't need to use anything to bring it down.........I don't feed my seedlings until I transplant into 1 gal pots, then I'll lightly feed. You'll see them fading yellow if they need food at about 3 weeks.
That’s true…but where we got worried was the PH continuing to drift up over time due to all the calcium carbonate buildup. The idea was to take a slurry test after a few weeks of veg to see where the soil PH trends…but maybe adjusting for it during the sprout/seedling phase is causing issues?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
That’s true…but where we got worried was the PH continuing to drift up over time due to all the calcium carbonate buildup. The idea was to take a slurry test after a few weeks of veg to see where the soil PH trends…but maybe adjusting for it during the sprout/seedling phase is causing issues?
If you don't like your water for seedlings use the Walmart Spring water $0.99/gal lol doesn't have to be walmart it's just the cheapest here. a gal or 2 should get them through this delicate stage.....I went to 1 gal fab pots this time to start seedlings in because its been so warm, the solo cups dried out and killed my clones the last time...my negligents . I can keep the 1 gal wet longer and its easier to feel the weight difference for watering my needs.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If you're worried about calcium and iron buildup throwing off pH and other important mineral uptake, consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TasteP...ocphy=9017263&hvtargid=pla-272506031700&psc=1

They are cheap and effective in reducing ppm and sediment, including calcium/iron and chloramines/chlorides.

As for Nectar of the Gods - In my area I hear more negatives than positives. It's not that it's a horrible line-up. It's made with you using everything in their line-up in mind or risk a plant deficiency. It's also quite expensive when compared to competitor products - specifically dry nutrients. Any time you pay for the water (liquid nutes), you're over-paying in my book. Bottom line here - The most expensive is usually not the best product offered.

If you don't like your water for seedlings use the Walmart Spring water $0.99/gal lol doesn't have to be walmart it's just the cheapest here. a gal or 2 should get them through this delicate stage.....I went to 1 gal fab pots this time to start seedlings in because its been so warm, the solo cups dried out and killed my clones the last time...my negligents . I can keep the 1 gal wet longer and its easier to feel the weight difference for watering my needs.

I use Walmart's distilled water for the first few weeks starting out. Same idea only distilled should be near 100% H2O with no impurities.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If you're worried about calcium and iron buildup throwing off pH and other important mineral uptake, consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TasteP...ocphy=9017263&hvtargid=pla-272506031700&psc=1

They are cheap and effective in reducing ppm and sediment, including calcium/iron and chloramines/chlorides.

As for Nectar of the Gods - In my area I hear more negatives than positives. It's not that it's a horrible line-up. It's made with you using everything in their line-up in mind or risk a plant deficiency. It's also quite expensive when compared to competitor products - specifically dry nutrients. Any time you pay for the water (liquid nutes), you're over-paying in my book. Bottom line here - The most expensive is usually not the best product offered.

I use Walmart's distilled water for the first few weeks starting out. Same idea only distilled should be near 100% H2O with no impurities.
Ya but its ppm is near 0 its good to have some minerals in the water, I use their distilled for my Sleep apnea equipment so it doesn't leave mineral deposits.. One seed company I dealt with would only guarantee their seeds if we used Spring water to germinate....I've been using it ever since to soak my seeds in and their first water...after that its my house water @ 122 ppm

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ya but its ppm is near 0 its good to have some minerals in the water, I use their distilled for my Sleep apnea equipment so it doesn't leave mineral deposits.. One seed company I dealt with would only guarantee their seeds if we used Spring water to germinate....I've been using it ever since to soak my seeds in and their first water...after that its my house water @ 122 ppm
There's really no measurable differences between the 2. I spent a lot of time studying science/chemistry when I was in college. We always used distilled, and I have always used it since. It's just my personal habit.

As for the quality of your well water, it's much better than my municipal water source. Mine has a ppm usually around 250. It has a pH closer to 9 and is heavy in chloramine. I also brew organic teas and unlike soil, even a little bit of chlorine/chloramine is too much.. I use filtered water through-out my grow. Inside, my filter system is 2 stage. Outside, I use the same inline water filter I suggested @Dothraki consider.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Awesome thanks guys! I do have some spring water I used to germinate, I’ll use that until I start feeding. Question though… if the plants are growing this slow, does that mean I have extra time in the solo cups without needing to feed? Since they aren’t growing does that mean the nutrients would still be in the soil?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
There's really no measurable differences between the 2. I spent a lot of time studying science/chemistry when I was in college. We always used distilled, and I have always used it since. It's just my personal habit.

As for the quality of your well water, it's much better than my municipal water source. Mine has a ppm usually around 250. It has a pH closer to 9 and is heavy in chloramine. I also brew organic teas and unlike soil, even a little bit of chlorine/chloramine is too much.. I use filtered water through-out my grow. Inside, my filter system is 2 stage. Outside, I use the same inline water filter I suggested @Dothraki consider.
All I know is that even 8 ppm water from my dehues will leave mineral deposits in my humidifiers and make them impossible to clean. I buy 16 gal - 2-5 gal 2-3 gal at a time with 0 ppm just for my humidifiers and the distilled just for sleep machine, spring water just for seedlings and my well water ...after sitting for 1-3 days in open 1 gal bottles to air off and warm up for the rest....when I've use RO 0ppm water on my plants at the end of their cycle they yellow up pretty fast so with nothing in it I don't think its good for seedlings...unless the alternative is toxic water.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Awesome thanks guys! I do have some spring water I used to germinate, I’ll use that until I start feeding. Question though… if the plants are growing this slow, does that mean I have extra time in the solo cups without needing to feed? Since they aren’t growing does that mean the nutrients would still be in the soil?
if they are 2 weeks old they'll have roots, if you can, gently squeeze all around the cup, remove any dirt at the top of the cup with your finger to loosen attached dirt. between your fingers hold the stalk and cup upside down, tap the bottom and it should just pop out. If there's winding roots you can transplant, water the plant to seat the plant in the new soil, then in 2-3 days...when it dries enough to do so feed lightly. If you haven't fed yet you could pre moisten the new soil with a real light dose. with my 3 part GH I sart 1/1/1 ml micro/grow/bloom/gal....then 3/3/3 + 1 ml Floraliciuos ( my new best friend) then 5/5/5/1.......7.5/7.5/7.5/1 at flip as an example

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

All I know is that even 8 ppm water from my dehues will leave mineral deposits in my humidifiers and make them impossible to clean. I buy 16 gal - 2-5 gal 2-3 gal at a time with 0 ppm just for my humidifiers and the distilled just for sleep machine, spring water just for seedlings and my well water ...after sitting for 1-3 days in open 1 gal bottles to air off and warm up for the rest....when I've use RO 0ppm water on my plants at the end of their cycle they yellow up pretty fast so with nothing in it I don't think its good for seedlings...unless the alternative is toxic water.
My 2 stage filter system is actually a 3 stage with the final stage being the RO part of the unit. I've disconnected that and bypassed it so my filter system is not giving me RO water. It's giving me water stripped of chlorine and minerals/sediment down to I believe 5 microns. I use distilled only for the first couple of weeks but I add a small amount of "Roots Organic-Microbe Blast" which also has a small amount of N/P/K but diluted way down.

Why did I disconnect the RO part of the unit? - For the exact reason you stated. It caused yellowing and other issues.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Personally, I would hold off on feeding them at this moment. Bring the temperatures up. 80F minimum daytime temp. Try to keep night-time lows in the mid 70's right now. To me, they look cold. Cold plants struggle to transpire and even a couple of shot-glass waterings too frequently can lead to over-watering issues.

I think raising temps is first priority right now.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
My 2 stage filter system is actually a 3 stage with the final stage being the RO part of the unit. I've disconnected that and bypassed it so my filter system is not giving me RO water. It's giving me water stripped of chlorine and minerals/sediment down to I believe 5 microns. I use distilled only for the first couple of weeks but I add a small amount of "Roots Organic-Microbe Blast" which also has a small amount of N/P/K but diluted way down.

Why did I disconnect the RO part of the unit? - For the exact reason you stated. It caused yellowing and other issues.
I bought a 3 part but after I got it then reading the manual and looking at it then adding an additive cartrage to the water to get it below 8 ppm and it was like 3.5 - 1 waste water I sent it back at my cost too...the fks small print. $28

I'm not good at maintaining replacement filters as promptly as I should and I could see it not being used in a very short period of time so back it went.

Zombierider

Zombierider

@Dothraki shats up man, my bad Ive been MIA. Ive been doing masonry in 90% humidity and 100 degrees
Yeah you’re right. It’s like a constant battle in the mind. I’m a big thinker & always have been. I’m always in my head. Every time I use hallucinogens I always have a bad trip. That’s why I love the body buzz strains that shut down my brain,lol. But I remember big cheese strain & I always like that one.
Good environment is pretty much the deciding factor for a good vs bad trip imo. That cheese strain always puts a smile on my face so its probably a good strain for mushies as well.

C

Chuc09

Hey guys! I’m back!
Thanks to everyone on this forum (you all know who you are) I’ve been smoking on some potent buds the past few months. This time it’s going to be in soil with NFTG and….the new addition to my grow space..

Spider-Farmer SF4000!
View attachment 1266157
View attachment 1266158

View attachment 1266159

Got 2 seeds out of 6 popped and in soil. Hoping to flower 4 plants in the 3x3.

-Grow Details-

3x3 Tent with 6” exhaust fan & carbon filter

Light: Spider-Farmer SF4000
Medium: NFTG #4 Soil
Nutrients: NFTG Sample Kit Regiment
Water: Tap water @ .5 EC / 8.2 PH (ouch!)
SEEDS:
Humboldt Seed Co. Feminized- 2 Hella Jelly, 2 Strawberry Cheesecake.
Bag Seed- 2 Sour Power seeds found in some dank delicious buds.

Starting in #4 soil in solo cups, watering with Tap + Herculean Harvest @ 6.3PH
Will transplant to 3 Gallon fabric pots when ready.

Light is starting at 40% power, 45” above dirt. Will adjust as needed.

Last grow my 1 Sour Power seed popped, became the healthiest and biggest plant…but then decided to grow some balls. Let’s hope I get a lady this time.

This will be my First time topping too. Gotta keep them small to fit at least 4 in the 3x3 during flower.

Please join me for the ride! It’s gonna get rocky…and I’ll need some cannassistance along the way.
Good luck..I'm doing my first grow using my sf 4000 in 5x5 tent.

growsince79

growsince79

I chose the #4 soil just because I am using their nutrient line…part of it anyway. The reason I chose it was because everything I’ve heard is that it’s one of the best for quality, works well with bad tap water, and the sample kit (which is enough for multiple grows) was only like 40 bucks total. But haven’t heard anything bad about it especially for those using bad tap water. Plus you can get support from the guy that created it along with a dedicated youtube channel going over different regiments and troubleshooting.
HAHAHA I'm sorry. sounds like your last grow.

Dothraki

Dothraki

HAHAHA I'm sorry. sounds like your last grow.
Really? I see nothing but good results posted about NFTG, aside from being a pain to mix if you don’t like measuring spoons. Haven’t heard of bad results though. Last grow I couldn’t adjust anyhing, but ended up with some killer bud.

growsince79

growsince79

Really? I see nothing but good results posted about NFTG, aside from being a pain to mix if you don’t like measuring spoons. Haven’t heard of bad results though. Last grow I couldn’t adjust anyhing, but ended up with some killer bud.
The choice in nutes has almost nothing to do with quality. You can get just as good of results with a $20 one part nute. $20 will make pounds of perfect buds, but you keep falling for the high price snake oil. I'm sorry, but it's hard not to laugh.

Dothraki

Dothraki

The choice in nutes has almost nothing to do with quality. You can get just as good of results with a $20 one part nute. $20 will make pounds of perfect buds, but you keep falling for the high price snake oil. I'm sorry, but it's hard not to laugh.
I disagree. And so does everyone that has used, or smoked NFTG grown buds.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

The most important thing here is to look at what you have and understand why it isn't working or producing results for you. So what you should do is strip things down to the bare essentials and start from there. Get down to an inert medium and a very simple water source and see how seedlings do for a few weeks so you can compare to your NFTG grows.

That's my 2 cents. Nobody is here to tell you what to do but the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again expecting different results

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Dothraki

What about the grow tent? Did you warm it up yet? Nectar of the Gods will work. It's expensive and you'll need all bottles before you're done. If you want some better nutrient choices for next run, just ask. Everyone will chime in.

More important is the environment. Let's take care of that first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom