2nd Topping

• Thread starter methheadman88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
methheadman88

methheadman88

How soon after the first topping can I top again? Is it worth having four main colas?
Also I've been reading up on the effects of topping, but I am a bit unsure of what is true and what is false. Does topping multiple times lower potency or yield of the main colas?
Thanks in advance.

Madmax

Madmax

What you trying to do bro.. you want more than 4 main branches 8 would b better.. No it doesnt lower potency..The effects of topping are all positive but you can overdo it and that will put the plant back quite abit ,but most know when to do it .its all for a reason ..to fill out an area to the max.like scrogging or monster cropping etc.takes awhile but look at the end product..same as mainliing .ive seen huuuuge plants mainlined.everyone has there way how they want to grow the plant.its an art form in its self that takes a little time to master spending plenty time with the girls.ya gotta ask youself what are you trying to achieve and how you want to grow. .tell us what you are doing and a pic would b great...we all love pics 😃

methheadman88

methheadman88

Hopefully these pictures help. Currently they are in a 5 gallon pot.

My main concern with topping once again is light intensity. I only have one 75w Cree LED so I am not sure if it will be effective if the plant ends up growing outside of a 2' x 2' space.

IMG 2663
IMG 2664
IMG 2665
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You are going to need more light if you want to top it much more. When you top, you pretty much divide the potential cola into 2 smaller colas. It isn't 50-50, more like 70% bigger for each one... so there are benefits to topping. To take advantage of it, you need a lot of light to cover the whole area. Your plant looks good now but if you start spreading out much more and you will lose the intensity that you need to cover the entire plant sufficiently. Use this grow as a practice run and see how much space you really need, then the next grow you can decide if you would prefer less, but larger buds or colas or a bunch of smaller ones. In any case, the potency should be the same. If you top it too many times, it changes the way the plant grows and you won't get may colas at all.

methheadman88

methheadman88

Thanks Jimster! You confirmed my suspicions. I’ll let it run the way it is for this grow.

I’ll get more/better lights for the next run, so I can experiment with topping, scrogging, and what not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom