2x4 fluoros

• Thread starter RansacktheElder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RansacktheElder

The guy at my hydro shop (Worms Way) is trying to get me to buy a 2x4 fluoro to use instead of my current set up. I really don't want to spend any more $ right now as I've already went through five light set ups to reach what I have now. I'm small, but I think I can crank 2 to 3 plants at a time and that's great for me! Currently I'm using a 150w hps and three various 2' HO fluoros. So, what do you guys think? Will the fluoro work better for me, or will it just become another light added to the circus?

A

astartes

In all honesty, I'd say just get through this first grow with what you have. Afterwards, you'll have a much better feel for your grow space, temps, air movement etc... After you have a harvest in the new cab under your belt, then you'll be in a much better position to judge if/what type of light addition is necessary.

I know that you've already made a reflector for the 150w, but for the most bang for the buck, I'd give serious thought to hanging it vertically without the reflector. You can easily put 4 good size ladies around her. Add the 2' T5 strips where the light doesn't seems to penetrate as well. My two cents at least!

astartes

R

RansacktheElder

I went ahead and got a universal gullwing reflector and ditched the home made one. Sunleaves type. Picked it up when I got the PBP ferts the other day. I agree with you though about just getting through this first one. My temps in the box range from 78 lights on to 64 lights off. Air flow through neg. pressure is good and the plants are responding well to the lights I have. On top of that my budget is topped off for this beginning grow. <chuckle> I believe I put all this together for around $275. The lights were the main expense. Add another 150 or so for soil and ferts and such and about 75 so far in seed orders and I've gone as far as I want to go on the initial outlay.

R

RansacktheElder

The only other thing I might do is pick up another 150w to mount on the opposite end of my reflector. It would only run me $45 delivered! That could well be the last piece of the puzzle. BUT, I'm only going to do it after this current bagseed is done and I can evaluate if it is needed. I'll be growing Northern Lights next and would like to be at optimal settings for my box.

H

hygrade

yeah man,stick with what you have.the guys at the hydro store usually will advise you buy all manner of things that you "must have".you're pretty much set now.and for the price of h o floros, an hps will get you way better results(not knocking floros,i've seen some great nugs grown under them).good luck bro

R

RansacktheElder

Okay, I just got through adding the 70w hps onto the opposite end of my gullwing reflector from my 150hps. combined with the fluoro's I'm at about 55 watts per square foot. Whew! My lighting is not as efficient as I'd like, but it'll do for a start. Now I have to make sure that my neg pressure exhaust keeps up with it all.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
That should be enough for a decent yield rte

R

RansacktheElder

I sure hope so....My hobby funds are close to being tapped out. <chuckle> Growing is a lot like playing music. You can spend as much as you want to on the equipment.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
that's a good analogy IME :)

D

dwcaero

If you want to move to fluoros after this grow...look into PL-L style cfls. You can mount the linear bulbs in any position you like, wire the ballast/s remotely, and spend way less than you would for a manufactured unit from a hydro shop.

S

shift00420

I use a 4' 4tube t5 for seedlings and beginning veg. I keep the lights about 2" away from babies and on a 20/4 hr cycle. For me it creates nice bushy plants. I switch to a 400 watt mh for the last 3 weeks of veg, then to a 600 watt hps for flower. I love the way this system is producing so far!!:cool0044:

Latest posts

Top Bottom