3 weeks into flower no buds

• Thread starter Noob31
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Noob31

Noob31

So Im doing a indoor soil grow. My first grow. I have 4 plants. I veg two of them for about 5 weeks and the other two for 3 weeks. Had to restart two plants why there a few weeks behind. I switched them to 12/12 exactly 3 weeks ago and changed the nutrients to micro and bloom as indicated. I've been using flora Nova. I have a week by week schedule for how to mix it. Ive done a lot of research so thought I was doing everything right. I did trim off some fan leaves about two weeks into flower. I can see all the white hairs but no real buds yet. Ph level ranges from 6 to 6.5 Max. Temp from 68 to 80 and humidity from 35 to 55 at times. Any other questions I can answer I'm glad to as this is my first grow so not sure what else to add. There's no light leaks as my grow tent is in my basement. Here's a few pics I got. I'll post more if needed.

3 weeks into flower no buds
SadBadGrower

SadBadGrower

1. I'm not sure why ( 1.) is there. It won't let me.delete it. Odd. Anyways, many people start counting flowering at the first sign of pistols instead of when they flip. Depending on the strain some flower faster then others. Right now she's going through her flowering stretch where she can double sometimes even triple in size. Once this stretch ends, that's when she will start working on creating buds. Good luck.

Noob31

Noob31

See that's the thing. I feel like they haven't got any taller in the last week. IDK. Gonna start monitoring their height. I know the two that are a few weeks behind the other two are barely over a foot tall. And my bigger ones are maybe two feet at most. IDK I'll just be patient and see what happens. Thanks tho

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Hmm. Looks like full veg to me. 12/12 exposure should cause a hormonal reaction that starts the alternating nodes (first) then signs of sex. Light leaks?

This is pretty much hard-wired in the species. Only rudderalis ( and strains with rudderalis) ignores this to some degree,

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

See that's the thing. I feel like they haven't got any taller in the last week. IDK. Gonna start monitoring their height. I know the two that are a few weeks behind the other two are barely over a foot tall. And my bigger ones are maybe two feet at most. IDK I'll just be patient and see what happens. Thanks tho
Do you have any lights that might be on any devices that are in the tent like humidifiers dehumidifiers excetera?

Noob31

Noob31

Yeah I have a dehumidifier and pretty much everything hooked up on the inside. The little green dot of a light could do this. Shit I didn't even think of that. I have my extension cord with timer and everything hooked up inside

Noob31

Noob31

It's completely pitch black now. Just checked. There was one small green light on dehumidifier. And one dim red light on small heater I have cause it gets pretty cold at night. Both taped and I checked with all lights off. Couldn't see anything. Pitch black. So guess we shall see. Would trimming off fan leaves haulted flower? I did this about a week ago cause it was getting super crowded and wanted more light to get to the plant. Hope I didn't screw up by doing that.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So 8 weeks total?
It's completely pitch black now. Just checked. There was one small green light on dehumidifier. And one dim red light on small heater I have cause it gets pretty cold at night. Both taped and I checked with all lights off. Couldn't see anything. Pitch black. So guess we shall see. Would trimming off fan leaves haulted flower? I did this about a week ago cause it was getting super crowded and wanted more light to get to the plant. Hope I didn't screw up by doing that.
The red can inhibit flower but since the plants use green much less efficiently it would take a fair bit for green to impact it.

If you look at your nodes the plant is barely just starting to mature. The nodes are not yet alternating. As @weedtech pointed out a plant has to be mature before it will start to flower. This is your issue.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hmm. Looks like full veg to me. 12/12 exposure should cause a hormonal reaction that starts the alternating nodes (first) then signs of sex. Light leaks?

This is pretty much hard-wired in the species. Only rudderalis ( and strains with rudderalis) ignores this to some degree,
From my understanding, I haven't even tried since most of my grows were clone. If you flip early it will take longer to actually start flowering if not already mature and causes stress to the plant some feel enough to be the culprit for bringing on herms?

I have always waited for alternating nodes

Thoughts on this?

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Yeah I have a dehumidifier and pretty much everything hooked up on the inside. The little green dot of a light could do this. Shit I didn't even think of that. I have my extension cord with timer and everything hooked up inside
I tape over all lights with double layer duct tape

Noob31

Noob31

Oldest plants are 9 weeks 3 days and the other two are 7 weeks 5 days old as of today. I switched to 12/12 Nov 1st which would of made the older two around 5 weeks 2 days old and the younger two about 3 weeks 5 days old....if I did my math right. So is there anything I can do to fix this? And now I have to watch out for Hermies? I'm new to all this, I didn't even know what a hermie was until yesterday. And just had to google what an alternating node was. Man just when I thought I had it figured out boy was I wrong. Definitely learning a lot from this first grow...Man....

Noob31

Noob31

So 8 weeks total?
The red can inhibit flower but since the plants use green much less efficiently it would take a fair bit for green to impact it.

If you look at your nodes the plant is barely just starting to mature. The nodes are not yet alternating. As @weedtech pointed out a plant has to be mature before it will start to flower. This is your issue.
:02 PM
  • Add bookmark
Oldest plants are 9 weeks 3 days and the other two are 7 weeks 5 days old as of today. I switched to 12/12 Nov 1st which would of made the older two around 5 weeks 2 days old and the younger two about 3 weeks 5 days old....if I did my math right. So is there anything I can do to fix this? And now I have to watch out for Hermies? I'm new to all this, I didn't even know what a hermie was until yesterday. And just had to google what an alternating node was. Man just when I thought I had it figured out boy was I wrong. Definitely learning a lot from this first grow...Man....

rendor11

rendor11

I lterally had the same exact problem!! I switched from MH to HPS using a Vivosun 400 Watt "Wing Reflector / Hood" I was using a traditional Drip Feed Hydroponic Set-up with an Air Pump. The plants would just grow and grow and grow and NEVER flower! People on here said my 400 Watt HPS wasn't "powerful enough" for 1 plant! I uploaded photos and clearly explained I was only growing a single plant in a 3x4 grow space. Why would they sell it if it wasn't "strong enough" to grow a single plant? American ideology, if it doesn't work, give it more power Scotti! Hit the afterburners and torch it!

The problem was the damn bulb! I bought a cheap $10 HPS bulb that wasn't as red/yellow to the naked eye and the problem was solved. I literally trashed 4 plants because of that cheap Vivosun garbage.

I think sometimes HPS lights or ballasts are just "duds" for lack of a better term. Sure would be nice to have a "PAR meter" and all that jazz.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I lterally had the same exact problem!! I switched from MH to HPS using a Vivosun 400 Watt "Wing Reflector / Hood" I was using a traditional Drip Feed Hydroponic Set-up with an Air Pump. The plants would just grow and grow and grow and NEVER flower! People on here said my 400 Watt HPS wasn't "powerful enough" for 1 plant!

The problem was the damn bulb! I bought a cheap $10 HPS that wasn't as red/yellow and teh problem was solved. I literally trashed 4 plants because of that cheap Vivosun garbage.
Have a link to that? Because that makes no sense that anyone would say that.

Also a cheap bulb is not going to stop them from flowering that's rediculous.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
I've been doing mostly clones for the last three years with some back and forth to indoors ( heat / weather / goddamn moths ) as well as highly modified schedules when I had to be out of town ( I had to also conserve moisture, so thinking about DWC cause this is da shits ) so I have seen some variety in light response behaviors, including getting clones that came from 24 hr light cycles ( damn it Darkheart! ) and having them drop their panties ( strain dependent, but all of that strain are the same ) because I started with 18-20 hours instead of programming a gradual schedule.

I digress. I guess my point is that the light period behavior is strain dependent. YMMV, and by alot. I envy the farmers that do consistent ( more or less ) strains and see the fruits of mastering the subtle characteristics found in each. Cloning from a known mother and extending an organism WAY beyond the intended lifecycle is actually pretty edgy.

I didn't even know what a hermie was until yesterday.

Well, then it is a landmark in your education. You are coming along fine. The really green folks probably don't even look it up until they realize they have a seed crop.

If you are not growing from known stock ( female clones or perhaps feminized seed from good lineage ) this is not usually a problem. It's not really a knife-edge kind of deal when the genetics are good. You have to fuck-up hard to get good strains to hermie.

So - to understand why - look up " phenotypes" and "epigenetics" to see how this arises from unfortunate combinations in the genome that are always there - but need some environmental stress or condition to be triggered into the growth behavior. I'm trying to help ya feel better by understanding - it ain't ALWAYS you. But it doesn't hurt to learn from it and choose your genetics wisely, but understand without bonafide knowns - its Vegas, baby. Or a box of chocolates. However you want to see it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom