315 CMH or 400w HPS for a 3x3x6?

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

In a 3x3x6 tent would you use a 315 CMH or a 400w HPS?

• Other in that price range (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm leaning towards CMH but am un sure.

I think they are very close to equal lights. Maybe the 315 matches a 450 hps if it existed. But i like the natural looking light of the cmh and it grew a pound in my 3x3 of quite resinous flowers.

I prefer it matched with a 600 hps for best results all round.

Plants will be shorter and bushier with the cmh. Longer and less leafy with hps.

I found the buds leafier with cmh alone. Didnt like that but seems pretty normal with all the full spectrum led grows too.

Hps still makes more bud to leaf ratio in my experience.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well I am somewhat concerned with heat. That's why I'm leaning toward CMH.

In your 3x3 with the 315, what did it take to keep it cool?

4” exhaust fan and the room has to be 70 degrees or under to keep the canopy 75.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Same with the hps by the way i think the cmh is hotter than the 400 hps or mh i have.

They say the new ballasts run them hotter. Thats why the better spectrum.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i use 400 watt HID ,right now running 85 in tent,just exhaust fan and filter,i got couple led lights last summer ,[ for cooler running temps] ha,anyway i keep hearing about these cob lights,all i ever see is the white box hanging from the ceiling,how do you know the foot print,a dark room adjusting up and down to feel out the print or what,i dont have fancy gadget to do all that,how can you really tell what it is,i can put a 600 in my little tent and it so bright i feel like im on a mars lan?ding,burns my damn head,do these lights shoot straight down like led lights?seems from as much as i hear about as many lights some yall use were the hell do you plug it just saying,are they really comparable to the sun as far as having it say 10 ft up and what 3 ft down,wouldnt one of the 315 do a tent 2x4x5

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

i use 400 watt HID ,right now running 85 in tent,just exhaust fan and filter,i got couple led lights last summer ,[ for cooler running temps] ha,anyway i keep hearing about these cob lights,all i ever see is the white box hanging from the ceiling,how do you know the foot print,a dark room adjusting up and down to feel out the print or what,i dont have fancy gadget to do all that,how can you really tell what it is,i can put a 600 in my little tent and it so bright i feel like im on a mars lan?ding,burns my damn head,do these lights shoot straight down like led lights?seems from as much as i hear about as many lights some yall use were the hell do you plug it just saying,are they really comparable to the sun as far as having it say 10 ft up and what 3 ft down,wouldnt one of the 315 do a tent 2x4x5

Yes but they tend to have a square footrint when mounted vertical.3x3.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

@oldskol4evr you would like a phillips 315 with a square wave ballast. Feels and looks like sunshine.
well after i weed out i keep right at 6 max in there,the lights sounds about right but shit the heat what im talking about,i dont have any ac only heat they get is the light,forced air in exhaust out,just finished building a muffler for the tent im in seedling stage so heat wont bother them,i also have my brocille and caulifluor in there and onions,thats why i have to shut down threw summer,this 400 MH bulb keeps tent right at 85 day and night lately.
i got the blurples ,hell to the nah,im check intop the light you refer

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

well after i weed out i keep right at 6 max in there,the lights sounds about right but shit the heat what im talking about,i dont have any ac only heat they get is the light,forced air in exhaust out,just finished building a muffler for the tent im in seedling stage so heat wont bother them,i also have my brocille and caulifluor in there and onions,thats why i have to shut down threw summer,this 400 MH bulb keeps tent right at 85 day and night lately.
i got the blurples ,hell to the nah,im check intop the light you refer

In my experience the 315 will be close in heat to the 400 mh. But put out more light.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

so these kits with closed hoods,were do you cool um off,i dont see a vent hose port
In my experience the 315 will be close in heat to the 400 mh. But put out more light.
can those ballast be seperated to go on outside of tent?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

hell there is a conversion kit from hid to cmh looks a lot better,i coulkd still use my cool tube to exhaust heat

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

checked it out thought 60 bucks not bad ,then eyed just the bulb,ballast is as much as the bulb hahahah you got one these fired up and running?

You need the new ballast and reflectors.

I have a sun system remote vertical reflector and a dimmable galaxy ballast. They are low frequency square wave ballasts and put out more light per watt with the hotter burning gas mixture and ceramic element. They have a different base with two posts that turn and lock onto the base in the reflector. And the bulbs suppsosed to last 2 years before 10% degadation or something like that.

I will add mine to the flower room when it gets colder out. Has full spectrum with strong red peak and uva and uvb output.

It doesnt penetrate a nice bush like a 600 hps like they say but i do think it is more powerful than a 400mh or hps.

I hang it at the same 18” over as my air cooled 600’s.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

You need the new ballast and reflectors.

I have a sun system remote vertical reflector and a dimmable galaxy ballast. They are low frequency square wave ballasts and put out more light per watt with the hotter burning gas mixture and ceramic element. They have a different base with two posts that turn and lock onto the base in the reflector. And the bulbs suppsosed to last 2 years before 10% degadation or something like that.

I will add mine to the flower room when it gets colder out. Has full spectrum with strong red peak and uva and uvb output.

It doesnt penetrate a nice bush like a 600 hps like they say but i do think it is more powerful than a 400mh or hps.

I hang it at the same 18” over as my air cooled 600’s.
im looking for something better but also cooler were a flir rolling buy just dont pick up serious heat

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

hell there is a conversion kit from hid to cmh looks a lot better,i coulkd still use my cool tube to exhaust heat

Yes and demon trich used his sun system hoods with the conversion to great effect. I think he used single jacketed bulbs to make up for the glass enclosed hoods.

All I can say is philips recomends vertical and bare in a purpose built reflector for highest par. The 3100k is the only one i have used. And in the dedicated but remote mount reflector. That answers your other question. I still think i want the original all in one unit. Had a phillips ballast.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i remember 6yrs ago i was having a fit with the pricing of my setup,got the 400 cool tube,2 ratchet strap timer and ballast,374 cfm exhaust fan filter combo for 125 bucks,mama bought the 2x4 tent for less than a hundred,these thing are outrages hahahah,im old

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yes and demon trich used his sun system hoods with the conversion to great effect. I think he used single jacketed bulbs to make up for the glass enclosed hoods.

All I can say is philips recomends vertical and bare in a purpose built reflector for highest par. The 3100k is the only one i have used. And in the dedicated but remote mount reflector. That answers your other question. I still think i want the original all in one unit. Had a phillips ballast.
sounds good to me as long as i can exhaust the heat im good,from the kits im seeing the ballast is attached to fixture,but my cool tube has 2 open ends and i can do the conversion get away with it

Latest posts

Top Bottom