36 hrs of darkness before flower!?

• Thread starter hobby4life
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hobby4life

hobby4life

Hey people, hope you're all well.
I have spoken to a few people about switching to flower and turning off the lights for 36 hours was one thing that came up. The theory is that it will help the plants realise it's flower time especially if they have been in veg for a long period of time.
I tried it in my first grow but don't have a comparison as to if it helps.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I never heard of that but at the end of my grow I put my plants in darkness for 48 hours, I was told the plant will frost up a bit more, probably an old wife's tale but I do it.

hobby4life

hobby4life

I never heard of that but at the end of my grow I put my plants in darkness for 48 hours, I was told the plant will frost up a bit more, probably an old wife's tale but I do it.
We're the same boat, I've never heard of that before...
You're you're probably right about it being an old wives tale but I suppose it's just something I will keep doing

Old Toby

Old Toby

I have heard this several times, usually on YouTube. I'm not saying that it doesn't make a difference though as i have never tried it because unless the total number of days to first TRUE white pistils is less than twelve days, I will say it doesn't do anything. This doesn't apply to plants with pre-flower genes though, because if they do have pre-flowers genes, you can see the pre-flowers at around the fourth week or fifth week of veg. There will be a tiny male or female flower at the upper nodes of your fan leaves. Then you already know before you switch to 12/12.
On average, for me, I know by day twelve of flower what sex they are and have already removed the males. Males generally show first and plant height has nothing to do with it. If they seem slow to show in the second week, they are likely female.
I do know for me, if I'm not certain by day 14, it's too slow for me period and it's out.
Hope this helps you decide.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
No. Just. No.

This plant went from 24/0 to 11/13 without a 36 hour dark period. I grow perpetual so there’s no way I could even do 36 hours of dark without messing things up. Been growing like this for 15+ years and have had amazing results. Don’t over think your grow. Get good at growing and the plant will do the heavy lifting. No need for extended dark periods. Period.

562DF282 3664 44BA A856 D6F7AC67126C
B93B5644 7A57 4BF8 A221 024D9E8397C9
hobby4life

hobby4life

Because it’s a waste of time. Period.
Rather straight to the point but fair call.
The only reason I'm on the fence with this is because growth happens during darkness hours ... If you can see where I'm coming from

hobby4life

hobby4life

No. Just. No.

This plant went from 24/0 to 11/13 without a 36 hour dark period. I grow perpetual so there’s no way I could even do 36 hours of dark without messing things up. Been growing like this for 15+ years and have had amazing results. Don’t over think your grow. Get good at growing and the plant will do the heavy lifting. No need for extended dark periods. Period.
That's some awesome stuff right there!!
Here's a few pics of my most recent one/first one in 10years/ 3rd one ever 😁
These two had the 36 hrs of dark.
Signal 2019 08 24 175541
Signal 2019 08 24 175541 2
Signal 2019 08 24 175541 1

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I said it many times, and in my humble opinion it is unnatural to run plants 24 7, yes you can do it, but you are unnecessary stressing your plants, and I'll bet my dog and lot at the end of your grow you will not have more weed just a larger electric bill, maybe less as you are unnessasaraley stressing your plants, your plants need at least 6 hours of darkness a day, I don't want to fight this is my opinion alone but it comes up over and over, do your girls a favor and give them a bit of rest.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Just switch them, they don’t need a period of dark to tell the plants to switch. They know trust me.

I think the reason behind this logic is the flowering mechanism in the plant. Light destroys the chemical signal within the plant that tells it to go in flower, during extended periods of light, there is not enough time for this mechanism to build up in the dark to sufficient levels to trigger flower. So from this comes the idea, keep it in dark for a long time and that will ensure enough time for the trigger chemical to build up. But it’s not needed. Plant will sense it immediately without a dark period in between

hobby4life

hobby4life

Just switch them, they don’t need a period of dark to tell the plants to switch. They know trust me.

I think the reason behind this logic is the flowering mechanism in the plant. Light destroys the chemical signal within the plant that tells it to go in flower, during extended periods of light, there is not enough time for this mechanism to build up in the dark to sufficient levels to trigger flower. So from this comes the idea, keep it in dark for a long time and that will ensure enough time for the trigger chemical to build up. But it’s not needed. Plant will sense it immediately without a dark period in between
Thank you for the fair explanation 😁

Migrower

Migrower

Hey people, hope you're all well.
I have spoken to a few people about switching to flower and turning off the lights for 36 hours was one thing that came up. The theory is that it will help the plants realise it's flower time especially if they have been in veg for a long period of time.
I tried it in my first grow but don't have a comparison as to if it helps.
This is no wife’s tail and it works just fine. I do it and have since I began and have had no problems. As to flowers forming faster I’ve not done nor seen a side by side.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

the only dark period i have ever gave my medicine is hanging them bitchs,ive heard same thing for years ,dont even care if it does work,buy the time they have dried 65 to 75 % of your plant is gone,they are water,24 hrs light is just ridiculious,try to get rest with lights on for a month see what happens,crazy crazy,if you want more yield,grow more plants,shoild be anyway ,you never know when your methods or thing you cant control like mother nature will wipe you out,im sure there is science out there to prove all wrong on paper,let see the results in real live,things change then haahah

Migrower

Migrower

This is only a stress to help the plant hormonally know to begin its flowers. You can use it or don’t its not a big deal just a technique

sambapati

sambapati

Kind of fun to do an Opera search for this very topic showing largely anecdotal evidence that the technique works well for some and for others maybe less. I asked several people on the farm independently and they all said yes -- to ahead and do the 36 hours. Lowered the AC and draped the sleeping beauties with some black out gear. The children were banished to the laundry room with their lights still at 18-6.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

No not an old wives tale, i was taught to leave your plants in full darkness for the last 2 days, supposed to turn ur pistols and frost up your plant a bit, dont know if it really works but i do it.

Top Bottom