3k flip flop, chiller cooled

• Thread starter connoisseurde420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

high guys n gals. finally got some time to post up my grow diary. Still doing work but its coming along nicely.

been using mostly botanicare/AN nutes in promix..

Running AAW bare bulbs with 40pt dehumidifier. cooling with 1hp ecoplus and two iceboxes each side.

Got OG Kush, Diablo OG, GSC, cherry pie, purple widow, chocolate chunk, headband, blueberry, blue dream, and true og.

comments welcome

3k flip flop chiller cooled
KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Good bank of strains right there. I loved my results with botanicare, although too pricey for me right now !

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

botanicare is expensive but I have the tastiest buds in comparison to what I've seen in comparison to h&g, AN on the same stuff I run with a different grower. I buy expensive nutes. but use them in such a way that its cheap. I will post a break down later for yall to critique....

Marks370z

Marks370z

Looking like a good start. Pulling up a seat as well.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

troubleshooting my chiller as this is my first time running one and there's been some glitches but nothing I can't handle as I do ALL work myself lol saftey first. anyways I got a ecoplus 1hp and its rated 9k btu. the bare bulbs are 4k ea. and I got a dehumidifier in there and I need btu for cooling the actual air in the room. going to put a portable in for the time being. but long term solution is a bigger chiller I think. chillking for sale? loooking at 2hp I should be good to start running the flip.. only two lights running until u get sorted out. Think I can run a third light with the portable? its LG 12k btu. should be okay.

IMAG01201901195997
PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
seems like 1hp chiller would chill a large water reservoir to say 58degsF and then you would pull off that rez to chill everything you needed to chill. Is this how yours is working?
PB

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

yup messing with the details but yeah same concept. I made a thread when I was building to test one light. but now it can't keep up

ttystikk

ttystikk

seems like 1hp chiller would chill a large water reservoir to say 58degsF and then you would pull off that rez to chill everything you needed to chill. Is this how yours is working?
PB

You gotta have the chiller cooling a sizeable reservoir of water, preferably insulated, which then provides water for cooling various areas. You most certainly CAN use an Icebox heat exchanger with a canfan blowing through it to cool the air in your room. Or, do like Woodsman and use a blower to push air thru a car radiator!

I turned mine vertical and they dehuey, too, because I set my water temp to maintain 60 degrees F. So, my one two ton cooler is cooling 8kW (sealed and vented) in bloom, dehumidifying same, and cooling 5 rdwc, all at the same time. Then, 8Kw go out and the other 8kW come on, and she does it all night long... That's 16kW of blooming lights, all cooled from top to bottom with just one two ton chiller.

Somewhere, your system is not able to perform at its peak efficiency, and I think two things will help solve your problem; one, get a reservoir, and two, get your lines set up on proper manifolds, don't just stick everything in line.

I have heard that ecoplus chillers don't quite live up to their ratings- and ChillKing units actually outperform their nominal ratings slightly. If you buy a ChillKing, be sure to let us know if you think there is any truth to that vicious rumor.

ttystikk

ttystikk

PB

This is exactly how my system is set up. My chiller's setpoint is actually 51 and I give it an 8 degree rise, to 59. This keeps water temps in my system right about 61-63. That's the temp of the water in my Icebox coolers, which both cool air and wring excess humidity out by being below the growroom environment's dewpoint. As additional water mass, it chills all of my rdwc systems. As long as those always stay below 65 degrees, they're happy.

The main pump sucks water from the res and sends it out a 1" line. This line then tees into two 3/4" lines, each feeding a 6 way manifold. Each line going from this manifold is 1/2" diameter and has a shutoff valve to isolate it from the manifold. The water flows down such a circuit, cools either an rdwc or an Icebox exchanger, then heads thru another valve to the return manifold. That 3/4" return line then goes directly back to the reservoir, to minimize backpressure. Thus, the water gets a chance to get cold in the res, and every circuit sees the same cold water. Anytime a cooling circuit isn't needed or needs maintenance, just shut off its valves at the inlet and return manifolds and the rest of the cooling system can continue operating unaffected...!

I'm just gonna come out and say it; for sealed room growing, FUCK air conditioning. Water chilling is the solution.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

tyy thanks for the replies my system is setup right I believe. I have 40 gal res and pvc manifold. the chiller just can't keep up. the res is insulated and most of the lines run in the room so no real need to insulate them. 2hp chillking seems the way to go.

each light is 4k btu. if I run 3 lights that's 12k btu just for killing the heat from the lights. also I need more power for cooling the air in the room and I don't want to run my ac system on max so I oversize just a bit. 24k btu should be aplenty

ttystikk

ttystikk

tyy thanks for the replies my system is setup right I believe. I have 40 gal res and pvc manifold. the chiller just can't keep up. the res is insulated and most of the lines run in the room so no real need to insulate them. 2hp chillking seems the way to go.

each light is 4k btu. if I run 3 lights that's 12k btu just for killing the heat from the lights. also I need more power for cooling the air in the room and I don't want to run my ac system on max so I oversize just a bit. 24k btu should be aplenty

That's where the efficiency factor of chilling really shines; when the system is on and actively cooling your grow, yet the chiller compressor is not running. It only runs enough to handle the load, so getting a bigger one doesn't automatically mean a huge jump in power consumption.

Onward; you are running bare bulbs, I'm currently doing sealed and vented. Also, a chillers's potential is only fully realized when you have it cooling two rooms on a flip schedule from one another. If your current chiller can't quite keep up with three bare bulbs, how about two? Then do another two on the flip side? Now you're up to four bulbs total, and separate bloom rooms makes doing perpetual grows much more convenient. It's easy- just double up on all your control equipment!

I'm cursed by the knowledge that my enthusiasm amounts to an irresistibly seductive voice... "if you build it, they will grow..." LOL

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I am currently running two bulbs. it does not keep up. but considering the ecoplus is rated at 9k btu I don't expect it to. had to to add the portable ac. I will run this way until I can upgrade in a couple months. :p​

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

my GSC from cloneville. looks like the forum cut from what I've seen. he has great reviews but I haven't flowered her yet this is only the mom.

IMAG0155350160080
connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

white widow turning purple already I think...

there is some clawing from overfeed and a touch of mites but all is well and under control right now

2013 06 17 224452
connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

time fer a update got 2 lights full. look awesome. weight will be a bit on the low side but quality will be spot on. needed more branches on the og but let me take some pics to show yall.

Top Bottom