45% humidity Curing is that bad?

• Thread starter Philz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Philz

So a dried my weed(auto flower) in a card board box. It had a supply fan and exhaust fan. The humidity stayed at 50 to 60 % most the time with temp in 70's (mid to high) for 10 days. Now there in curing jars for a week but the humidity stays low 40%. I have the 62% packets in there but it doesn't change anything. Is 40% too low? What can I do if need to increase? Also how long do I have to leave it in jars until I can smoke it? Its loaded with trichomes.

Heywood

Heywood

What are you measuring your RH with?
I have 10 different hygrometers and they all read differently. Maybe the one you're using is whacked.

BTW, I just dried and cured mine in similar temps and RH as you, but only dried for 7 days and not in a box. I have 58% Boveda packs in mine. Two per jar.

You can test smoke a bud at any time, but the flavor should improve as you your cure ages to 30+ days.

P

Philz

What are you measuring your RH with?
I have 10 different hygrometers and they all read differently. Maybe the one you're using is whacked.

BTW, I just dried and cured mine in similar temps and RH as you, but only dried for 7 days and not in a box. I have 58% Boveda packs in mine. Two per jar.

You can test smoke a bud at any time, but the flavor should improve as you your cure ages to 30+ days.
thanks for your reply,
I'm using those small digital black ones I see everyone using. I bought a dozen and they all reading the same or within a degree so. I don't think any are bad. I filled 4 half gallon mason jars with trimmed bud.(2 plants) I put a 62% Boveda pack in each with a hydrometer/temp 7 days now. I burp a couple times a day. Humidity has stayed at about 43%. I seen a lot of posts about high humidity but hardly nothing on low.
thanks again

P

Philz

It's definitely a Sativa. I put in a bud about the size of my little finger nail in my cleaned bong. After the first 2 or 3 tokes off my bong I didn't think it was any good. Then one more toke I got a really good taste of flower but didnt have a buzz. I started loading up a little more and before I fired it up my heart started pounding. I haven't had that feeling in years. I tried to watch TV but my mind started wandering on other stuff. I also noticed everything seemed colorful. Wifey told me I turned into a chatter box. I remember going in my bedroom to get something but when I got there forgot what I was getting and stood in my room for what seemed forever and couldn't think. I didn't fire up the other piece until about 2 hours later and it was just as good.

I'm honestly not saying this because I grew this and also my first grow and want to brag but this is as good if not better than any weed I bought it the store so far. I planned on giving some away but now thinking I want to keep it all.....lol

Done worrying about humidity. Thanks.

freezeland2

freezeland2

It's definitely a Sativa. I put in a bud about the size of my little finger nail in my cleaned bong. After the first 2 or 3 tokes off my bong I didn't think it was any good. Then one more toke I got a really good taste of flower but didnt have a buzz. I started loading up a little more and before I fired it up my heart started pounding. I haven't had that feeling in years. I tried to watch TV but my mind started wandering on other stuff. I also noticed everything seemed colorful. Wifey told me I turned into a chatter box. I remember going in my bedroom to get something but when I got there forgot what I was getting and stood in my room for what seemed forever and couldn't think. I didn't fire up the other piece until about 2 hours later and it was just as good.

I'm honestly not saying this because I grew this and also my first grow and want to brag but this is as good if not better than any weed I bought it the store so far. I planned on giving some away but now thinking I want to keep it all.....lol

Done worrying about humidity. Thanks.
Most times our home grown craft will outshine disp flower. Enjoy the fruit of your efforts. Next time you dry you’ll do even better.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

I am experimenting with using VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit/Differential) during curing.

The target VPD is between 0.9-1.1 kPa

This can be achieved with any number of temp + humidity combinations:

VPD Chart page 001

So far, I've not had any high humidity issues, but I am also not growing giant colas (they can create a micro-climate in nooks & crannies in big buds where VPD can drop below 0.5 kPa - which is the VPD where fungus & disease start to grow).

My summer crop was dryed in a tent climate of ~80°f @ ~75-80% humidity for about 10 dayd. 0 molds or problems.

Then it went into jars to cure, ~70-75° and humidity at ~65%. I'd burp when it hit 70% in the jar (VPD in the jar MUST stay above 0.5 kPa).

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

I am experimenting with using VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit/Differential) during curing.

The target VPD is between 0.9-1.1 kPa

This can be achieved with any number of temp + humidity combinations:

View attachment 1273543

So far, I've not had any high humidity issues, but I am also not growing giant colas (they can create a micro-climate in nooks & crannies in big buds where VPD can drop below 0.5 kPa - which is the VPD where fungus & disease start to grow).

My summer crop was dryed in a tent climate of ~80°f @ ~75-80% humidity for about 10 dayd. 0 molds or problems.

Then it went into jars to cure, ~70-75° and humidity at ~65%. I'd burp when it hit 70% in the jar (VPD in the jar MUST stay above 0.5 kPa).
This needs a caveat on temp ranges..

At ~72° we'll lose a tiny bit of terps, which most smokers won't notice (if it were wine, only wine effinados would notice the subtlety).

The next major temp range is at ~100°f, and while you can dry & cure at this temp, you're gonna take a quality hit people will notice.

P

Philz

This needs a caveat on temp ranges..

At ~72° we'll lose a tiny bit of terps, which most smokers won't notice (if it were wine, only wine effinados would notice the subtlety).

The next major temp range is at ~100°f, and while you can dry & cure at this temp, you're gonna take a quality hit people will notice.
Thanks for the info and Chart. I was pretty much in the green with the drying and close with the curing. Some of this went over my head but bottom line I tried some for the first time yesterday. First smoke of the day and got high as a kite. Only cured for a week as I just wanted to check it out. My heart started to pound some and then I spaced out some when trying to watch TV. I couldn't really focus on the TV show I was watching as I got into my own world for a while.....lol. I think it worked. And the taste was pretty damn good. I'm in Northern California. I used Autoflower seeds. I think it was called Gold leaf. Temps during my grow were 90's to 100 most the time. Maybe about 4 1/2 months from seed to harvest. Attached is one of the 2 plants and my home made drying box with a 4" supply fan and exhaust fan. I ran the exhaust up into my attic and out the ridge vent. I also added a temp RH gauge cut into the box. It stayed at about 50% RH and around 78 degrees. This is how much weed I got out of 2 plants.
TempImage4qT14o
TempImageLMyEeV
TempImagecCpgn2

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Thanks for the info and Chart. I was pretty much in the green with the drying and close with the curing. Some of this went over my head [...]

Without overcomplicating it: The higher the VPD is the quicker h2o will evaporat into the air, the lower the VPD, the slower this happens.

This effects transpiration during growing in some complex ways... which I am not going to rewrite about here. There's plenty of articles on the topic already.

However, it's worth looking into because it can have a significant impact on yeild & quality...

P

Philz

Without overcomplicating it: The higher the VPD is the quicker h2o will evaporat into the air, the lower the VPD, the slower this happens.

This effects transpiration during growing in some complex ways... which I am not going to rewrite about here. There's plenty of articles on the topic already.

However, it's worth looking into because it can have a significant impact on yeild & quality...
upon further review my curing in the jars gives me a 2.0 VPD. What kind of results would that present? As I mention I tried the weed already and its killer from the one bud that I tried anyway. Thanks

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

upon further review my curing in the jars gives me a 2.0 VPD. What kind of results would that present? As I mention I tried the weed already and its killer from the one bud that I tried anyway. Thanks
Drying & Curing are 2 different steps.

You Dried already, a bit too much, to quick. It's ok.

Then, you put overly dry buds in a jar to Cure (which is why humidity is so low).

Don't panic!!! ;-)

Trying to readd moisture now is a mistake, it is how you grow nice molds all over your perfectly smokable nuggs.

Just remember this stuff for next time.

You have good buds, these little things are how you'll make 'em great!

P.S.

You can stop "burping" them and see if any core h2o is left... by monitering humidity levels. If they are going up, the inner part of the bud is still wet..

mancorn

mancorn

Grandma also added a slice of bread in the cookie jar to keep them moist. Just stick in a piece (or some lettuce) for a day and it will add back some moisture.

P

Philz

Can I leave them in the Jars? Also I thought you get mold when your humidity is high. Mine barley got above 50% when drying and never got higher then 45% in the Jars (only a week long in Jars) Also humidity is no issue in Northern California if thats a problem. Its dry as hell. Thats why we have all these fires out here. Also note: these were outside plants. I don't have control over the environment while they were growing but I could have some in the drying by adding a humidifier and lowering my A/C temp if you think that would have helped.

I have one more plant. I'm not sure what it is but its not an auto flower and just starting to flower. I'll try something different on that when I harvest if you suggest.

P

Philz

Grandma also added a slice of bread in the cookie jar to keep them moist. Just stick in a piece (or some lettuce) for a day and it will add back some moisture.
I put a piece on lettuce in each jar and it jumped up to 50% from 45 in seconds.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Yeah.. and the mold spore on the bread is another great way to grow some top shelf molds! :-D

Top Bottom