48 hour seedling wayyyy too tall. Advice guys?

• Thread starter WasabiSid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WasabiSid

WasabiSid

Hey all,
first grow. I had the light about 80cm away and it was dimmed pretty much all the way down. Obviously this was a mistake haha. I've moved it down 20cm and turned it up a notch (100W samsung LM301H in a small cabinet).
Should I move it closer/ turn it up more, or just wait and see if it starts to keel over and prop it up with soil then?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Seedling overreachjpg
Goodbudz4

Goodbudz4

Hey all,
first grow. I had the light about 80cm away and it was dimmed pretty much all the way down. Obviously this was a mistake haha. I've moved it down 20cm and turned it up a notch (100W samsung LM301H in a small cabinet).
Should I move it closer/ turn it up more, or just wait and see if it starts to keel over and prop it up with soil then?

Looks normal... if anything just add a fan if you haven’t to start strengthening the stem

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

When you transplant it into its next home bury as much of the stem as you can. The plant will revert it to roots. Thank way you can ”shorten” then plant.
you do have some stretch Armstrong issues there.

WasabiSid

WasabiSid

When you transplant it into its next home bury as much of the stem as you can. The plant will revert it to roots. Thank way you can ”shorten” then plant.
you do have some stretch Armstrong issues there.
Will do thankyou!

WasabiSid

WasabiSid

Thats not at all what it should look like. Use cool white fluorescent and that won't happen.
It's grown an extra cm in the last 4 hours lol. Something ain't right.
Couple more questions if anyone is able to help.
Is there hope for this seed? And also should I get a cool white bulb in addition to my LED or as a replacement?
Thanks for all your help!

growsince79

growsince79

It's grown an extra cm in the last 4 hours lol. Something ain't right.
Couple more questions if anyone is able to help.
Is there hope for this seed? And also should I get a cool white bulb in addition to my LED or as a replacement?
Thanks for all your help!
Replace with cool white cfl for the first 2-3 weeks.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Looks fine. Add some soil to the base if need be or put it closer to the light

Homesteader

Homesteader

Turn it up. I read it wrong. Yeah you might as well be brighter if you have it but you may want to move it away from the light as you do it. How is the heat when you turn it up? That would be my only concern but I doubt 100w of samsung mids are going to fry it. Heat may though.

Last edited:
WasabiSid

WasabiSid

Turn it up. I read it wrong. Yeah you should be brighter if you have it but you may want to move it away from the light as you do it. How is the heat when you turn it up? That would be my only concern but I doubt 100w of samsung mids are going to fry it. Heat may though.
Turn it up. I read it wrong. Yeah you should be brighter if you have it but you may want to move it away from the light as you do it. How is the heat when you turn it up? That would be my only concern but I doubt 100w of samsung mids are going to fry it. Heat may though.
Turned it up a few hours ago and it's sitting at 26c. I'll keep monitoring the temp and hopefully Australian autumn is nice to me and she grows outward next haha. Thanks for the help

Homesteader

Homesteader

You should start a thread if you have time. I would be interested in seeing how it goes

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
there is a chart online for your light, it will tell you how far that light should be and at what strength. you can use a chop stick to give it some support, just let it lean on it at this point.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey all,

You can get a taller cup..transplant into.Red solo and bury the stalk. Just be gentle and re-bury it deeper in the cup. I only fill my cups halfway then add more soil when they shoot up like that. GL

Madmax

Madmax

Another aussie 🤙..26 is fine i sit on 25.5 65% rh under 24x4 t5ho at 8'...shes going to cool off soon spose to b 5 deg here rhis sat morn coming...

WasabiSid

WasabiSid

I might start a thread, I have learnt so much today on this site. I got a lux meter app (how cool!), it's sitting at 8500 after turning the light up. I will either transplant and/or support it if it grows further but for now the stem is seeming surprisingly sturdy.

WasabiSid

WasabiSid

Another aussie 🤙..26 is fine i sit on 25.5 65% rh under 24x4 t5ho at 8'...shes going to cool off soon spose to b 5 deg here rhis sat morn coming...
Thank god it'll be low 20's where I am for another little while. I keep the cabinet in my reptile room too so when I turn on their heat mats soon the ambient temp will stay in the 20s all winter.

Top Bottom