5 gallon smart pots vs 7 gallon

• Thread starter Hondaguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hondaguy

whats up guys was woundering what you guys think growing in coco/perlight mix. veg for about 3 weeks so wanted to know whats better 5 or 7 now iv used both and not sure if i noticed any diffrence.

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

I've noticed with smart pots that pot size doesn't seem to matter as much...the bigger ones don't need water as often though...

H

Hondaguy

Well I hand water with a wand which is becoming a pain with 12 plants under 1 600 an 1 400 watt so 1000 total

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
Well I hand water with a wand which is becoming a pain with 12 plants under 1 600 an 1 400 watt so 1000 total
12 pots to hand water a pain? tight conditions? try 100 pots to water everyday and give them all a half turn in a stadium. use that time to get to know each girl and make sure no issues creep up. best wishes.

burn4me

burn4me

3 gals should be good for 3 weeks veg time only. 5 would probably work better and fill in more with the root mass if you vegged a little while longer. IMO id say 3 is good.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
oh and I agree. 3 gallon is plenty for your veg time.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Growing indoors I was advised by many peeps that grow in coco to never go over a 3 gallon pot no matter how big the plants finish up. My buddy @HeadKracker uses 0.7 - 0.9 gallon pots to grow trees in!

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Growing indoors I was advised by many peeps that grow in coco to never go over a 3 gallon pot no matter how big the plants finish up. My buddy @HeadKracker uses 0.7 - 0.9 gallon pots to grow trees in!

I wanna see that! They get tipsy without a net or some kind of top support. Yoyo's maybe? Now ya got my brain going lol. A cage all the way around it would work too! Verts!

I wouldnt go over a 2 gal pot in your setup. Get yourself some 1/2 inch poly line and make a closed loop with a T. 1/4 inch line for feeders, a pump and a timer. Most of this stuff is at Lowes. You want to treat coco more like hydro too. It likes multiple feeds. You could even use 1 gallon pots with feeds 4-6 times whatever it takes to keep it moist so you dont get salt build up. @BudGoggles had really good success running like this.

Ever thought about just doing a bed?

symbiote420

symbiote420

I wanna see that! They get tipsy without a net or some kind of top support. Yoyo's maybe? Now ya got my brain going lol. A cage all the way around it would work too! Verts!

I wouldnt go over a 2 gal pot in your setup. Get yourself some 1/2 inch poly line and make a closed loop with a T. 1/4 inch line for feeders, a pump and a timer. Most of this stuff is at Lowes. You want to treat coco more like hydro too. It likes multiple feeds. You could even use 1 gallon pots with feeds 4-6 times whatever it takes to keep it moist so you dont get salt build up. @BudGoggles had really good success running like this.

Ever thought about just doing a bed?

Here's a few pics of his old room, he vegs in 0.3 and flowers in 0.7 ....hope ya don't mine homie!

HK grow1

HK grow2

Should see it in there when it really fills out lol, seems the laws of getting rootbound in smaller pots doesn't apply to plants grown in coco.

urban1026835

urban1026835

nice thread,I'm in.

also i usually use 2 gallon smarts for flower with an average veg of 4 weeks..some strains I can get away with a 1 gallon with no noticeable yield difference.

lately I have been wanting to use either 5 or 7 gallons for flower & am now leaning towards 5 gallon with a 6 week veg.

burn4me

burn4me

nice thread,I'm in.

also i usually use 2 gallon smarts for flower with an average veg of 4 weeks..some strains I can get away with a 1 gallon with no noticeable yield difference.

lately I have been wanting to use either 5 or 7 gallons for flower & am now leaning towards 5 gallon with a 6 week veg.
i just put mine into 5 gal smart pots with about 6 week veg on em. will be flipping very soon. hope they do well.

Id also like to say Im not fan of smart pots.Plastic nursery pots are easier to work with in my short experience.o_O:D
would you mind giving a slight over view of why? im curious. i only bought 5 to see how they perform up against a reg 5 gal container.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
i just put mine into 5 gal smart pots with about 6 week veg on em. will be flipping very soon. hope they do well.

would you mind giving a slight over view of why? im curious. i only bought 5 to see how they perform up against a reg 5 gal container.

They are just a pain in the ass to clean up and re use. I thought they dried out a little faster than I liked.

burn4me

burn4me

They are just a pain in the ass to clean up and re use. I thought they dried out a little faster than I liked.
i was sure thinking about the reuse of em. with all the tangled roots and shit. guess ill cross that bridge when i get there. as for drying out i feel you on that. way quicker than i thought. but i hope the growth is worth it.

Natural

Natural

ya..mine got dirty as fuck. I think they can harbor gnats too. And for the price of them, I will gladly use them at least 5-6 times. I mean..I guess I could wash them, but that's a serious involved issue when you're talking dozens of them lol. Regular plastic just doesn't compare though..not even close...if you're looking for rootspace and not just compacted root hydro-type.
But, I am looking at those Rootmaker Pots, they're injected molded plastic. @baba G seems to be getting good results off them.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
ya..mine got dirty as fuck. I think they can harbor gnats too. And for the price of them, I will gladly use them at least 5-6 times. I mean..I guess I could wash them, but that's a serious involved issue when you're talking dozens of them lol. Regular plastic just doesn't compare though..not even close...if you're looking for rootspace and not just compacted root hydro-type.
But, I am looking at those Rootmaker Pots, they're injected molded plastic. @baba G seems to be getting good results off them.
Not sure how the Rootmaker 5gal Hard plastic does in a drier climate but for me it helps cause they dry out rapidly in a moist climate...
Just gonna prob have to water them more in a dry climate but they are my current favs lol
They aren't cheap though and be careful dumping dirt out of them, if your gonna hit them like a djembe or bongo you can break/crack them. Due to using a lot of recycled plastic in the design I was told...

burn4me

burn4me

oh i will for sure make em work for the money i spent. lol

i wash mine at the laundromat...really
o_Ofor real no bs? lol well shit that may have just saved some time and energy! thanks

Top Bottom