5x5 Tent Lighting Question.

• Thread starter Benniehanas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Benniehanas

Hello everyone,

This is my first ever post. I normally grow vegetables and I've been using T5 lights so far. T5 lights are not doing such a good job for me. Also the light is annoying as I have no tent yet. I'm looking at go for either a 5 by 9 or 5x5 tent. I am leaning more towards the 5x5 tent. so my question is if going with a CMH 630, would it be good to have four 80w supplementary red lights around the CMH? I'm leaning towards the g8led red light. From what I understand the 630 can flower a 4 by 4 but not as good as an HPS light. I'm going five by five and I know it won't do well for that whole Space. It'll be about a thousand Watts total for the tent. I want something to provide a good foundation in the beginning but not cost me well over $1,000 initially. I am still only growing vegetables and what not for my YouTube channel, but do you want the option to grow other things down the road depending on how the laws change. So the red lights would be more of a Down the Road Purchase type thing.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Go with 2x 315cmh vs 1x630 cmh. You can spread the light better for much better coverage and overlap. Use Philips bulbs. They have been thoroughly tested and are ranked the best of any bulb in tests. With the exception of ushio. Their veg bulb puts out 1.4iu (iirc) of uv more than the Philip's. Peanuts in my book and not worth it in my book.

scubascrog

scubascrog

You can go cmh or you can buld 600W (12 diodes) of vero cobs for that price and get more light/spread if you are into a "light" project. :fire: get half 3500k and half 3000k should be good, will give you more headspace to grow vertical. keeping plants too short in a tent with too much blue can also hurt yield. thats my 2 cents.

B

Benniehanas

A project like that does sound really cool. Is there a way to do something like that but also incorporate IR and UV light as well? Is there kits for something like that? The thing that I see being hard as fabricating some kind of housing for everything and making it airtight enough to install active cooling fans for the Box. Also thanks a ton everyone for answering my questions

B

Benniehanas

"Cmh has that already 8n the light (uva uvb)"

Hello DemonTrich, My question on IR/UV was if I were to build the DIY kit from scubascrog's comment. Seems like it would be easier to just roll with two 315 and add 4 more 80w red's down the road when I switch the type of plants I am growing and use the 4 reds only during the flowering stage.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Check out Philip's 315 CNN website for further documentation on how those lights work, spectrum, and the added goodies you get with cmh.

My veg tent floor dry rots every 10 weeks due to the UV from my t9 942 Philip's veg bulbs.

B

Benniehanas

Dang DemonTrich. I will probably go for 2 315. Can always go 3 if I do 5x9 down the road. Do you flower with different lights?

B

Benniehanas

You can go cmh or you can buld 600W (12 diodes) of vero cobs for that price and get more light/spread if you are into a "light" project. :fire: get half 3500k and half 3000k should be good, will give you more headspace to grow vertical. keeping plants too short in a tent with too much blue can also hurt yield. thats my 2 cents.

I've thought about this and decided instead on building some lights based of the Citizen 1818. I will build the first half for a 5x5 now with no tent (expensive all at once), then build the second half. I will base them off the MeanwellHLG-600H-54B. Half will be 600w and the other half later will be 600w giving me 60w/sf in a 5x5 tent. I checked spectrum and 3500k is very good for what I should need. This driver is dimmable with a 1000k pot too. I will run each chip with a reflector instead of a lense. I'm just wondering if I should go with active or passive cooling for each cob if I plan on running them at around 75w each

scubascrog

scubascrog

I've thought about this and decided instead on building some lights based of the Citizen 1818. I will build the first half for a 5x5 now with no tent (expensive all at once), then build the second half. I will base them off the MeanwellHLG-600H-54B. Half will be 600w and the other half later will be 600w giving me 60w/sf in a 5x5 tent. I checked spectrum and 3500k is very good for what I should need. This driver is dimmable with a 1000k pot too. I will run each chip with a reflector instead of a lense. I'm just wondering if I should go with active or passive cooling for each cob if I plan on running them at around 75w each
those 50v cobs need active cooling for sure.

K

kansabis

Yeah I personally would of ran a bit different setup that doesn't require active cooling but you idea sounds pretty solid once you get that cooling figured out,cobs are nice and quantum boards are just as nice lol

scubascrog

scubascrog

i found a 600w from the wall 3590 set for 650 before shipping. actually gonna get one 600w mw driver instead of 2 300w ones. 36v with passive cooling. will mix 3500k and 3000k evenly

B

Benniehanas

Can you wire 12v fan driver with a 50v cob driver to the same plug to the wall?

B

Benniehanas

Yes that's what I was asking I'm going to use a meanwell driver for the cobs but a lower voltage driver for the fans and wanted to wire them both to the same chord and then put that to the wall. I guess it wouldn't be any different than the way wall sockets are wired with different type Outlets plugging in behind them

scubascrog

scubascrog

oh yeah thats fine
Now also when you are doing bigger cob setups you can do 240v if you have breaker space you will cut down on the amps. I would make sure you are running these cob setups on their own breaker if possible. running 12 diodes in series at 50W each runs 16 amps. SIXTEEN AMPS. leaving you three and change left on your 20 amp 120v circuit. I'd get a 240v 30amp 2 post breaker in your power panel if you dont already and condense it with some tandem breakers if you can.

scubascrog

scubascrog

Someone from here told me about growmau5' 100w qb "pucks" last night and I am looking at them now too. supposed to be cob killers

B

Benniehanas

I just read up on those pucks. They look very cool in red and deep red spectrum and widening the spread more, but need to be 18" from canopy. The cobs need to be 24+ away. Especially for 1.7+a driven cobs. Wonder how it would work out if I use half 1818@4000k staggered with half of these pucks? so 4 1818 and 4 pucks per light with 5 lights per 5x5 tent. Or is it better to just have all lights the same. These pucks are a little over twice the price of a cob even at their current pre-sale price

Someone from here told me about growmau5' 100w qb "pucks" last night and I am looking at them now too. supposed to be cob killers

Top Bottom