5x9 Tent Lighting Uc8xl

• Thread starter blactunda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blactunda

Looking for a solid light setup.. i got a perfect sun 1000 and a mars 1200 at the moment but it seems like more lighting the tent needs. The perfect sun is on a light mover but the plants under the stationary mars seems to be growing faster.. 5x9x7 tent..What lights do most of you guys run under the ucxl8 system?

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Looking for a solid light setup.. i got a perfect sun 1000 and a mars 1200 at the moment but it seems like more lighting the tent needs. The perfect sun is on a light mover but the plants under the stationary mars seems to be growing faster.. What lights do most of you guys run under the ucxl8 system?
2 de gavitas.... or 4x320w cobs (Timber) or 4 cmh. ..
Possibilities are endless brother...

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I'm running two UC8XL systems. On one I'm using two Kind XL1000 LEDs with four 2 bulb T5 HOs for side lighting, two on each side. I'll be restaring the second system in a couple weeks after replacing the lights on it. I was using four UNO T5 XHO fixtures, 16 bulbs total. They have been sold and will be replaced by 2 more XL1000s with four 108 watt strip LEDs for side lights. Over the years I've used HID, T5 and 4 different brands of LEDs. By far, these Kind lights are providing the best growth rates and highest yields.

Jasper Geist

Jasper Geist

Thanks for posting this question. I'm seriously thinking of going with an Under Current system for my next grow and my initial plan is to go with a bigger tent. I wanted to go with a 5x9 but I was thinking that a 6 x 10 might be better. I was thinking of going with the UC6xl or the regular UC8. I was under the impression that the UC 8 needs about 5'x10' in growing space for the length while the UC6xl can work with 9' for length. (hmmm... I just checked the UC website and they recommend a 5'x10' grow space as well for the UC8xl- that's confusing as the UC8 should be shorter than the UC8xl) Personally, I like the 25" centers on the XL as the standard seems to be really limiting if you want to let your plants grow big & tall. How tight is the 8xl in your 5x9?

I'm currently in a 4x8 tent and it's tight. My biggest problem isn't so much in length... but the height of the tent (7 feet) it's with the A/C hoods I'm using as the hoods take up so much vertical real estate. With a light mover and your 1000 watts... how much in height do you lose (if the lights are up as high as possible)?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I'm running two UC8XL systems. On one I'm using two Kind XL1000 LEDs with four 2 bulb T5 HOs for side lighting, two on each side. I'll be restaring the second system in a couple weeks after replacing the lights on it. I was using four UNO T5 XHO fixtures, 16 bulbs total. They have been sold and will be replaced by 2 more XL1000s with four 108 watt strip LEDs for side lights. Over the years I've used HID, T5 and 4 different brands of LEDs. By far, these Kind lights are providing the best growth rates and highest yields.
Have you ever had the chance to compare them to the Cree cob leds?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Thanks for posting this question. I'm seriously thinking of going with an Under Current system for my next grow and my initial plan is to go with a bigger tent. I wanted to go with a 5x9 but I was thinking that a 6 x 10 might be better. I was thinking of going with the UC6xl or the regular UC8. I was under the impression that the UC 8 needs about 5'x10' in growing space for the length while the UC6xl can work with 9' for length. (hmmm... I just checked the UC website and they recommend a 5'x10' grow space as well for the UC8xl- that's confusing as the UC8 should be shorter than the UC8xl) Personally, I like the 25" centers on the XL as the standard seems to be really limiting if you want to let your plants grow big & tall. How tight is the 8xl in your 5x9?

I'm currently in a 4x8 tent and it's tight. My biggest problem isn't so much in length... but the height of the tent (7 feet) it's with the A/C hoods I'm using as the hoods take up so much vertical real estate. With a light mover and your 1000 watts... how much in height do you lose (if the lights are up as high as possible)?
With 7 foot height restriction I would just go with the 8 gal buckets.. You can't grow tall enough for the roots to out grow that bucket. That bucket can support a plant that is 4.5 feet tall. My buckets do and they are only 4 gal.... the undercurrent system is so powerful that it replaces the water so fast the system is really just one big bucket... The question you really need to ask yourself is do I plan to expand? Will I have higher ceilings in future. So for that reason alone you may go with the bigger. I would go with the smaller 8 before the bigger 6 just personal preference. Mj laws for each of us are different which play into it to...

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

My space is 8' high and 8' wide and I'm running the UC8XL. The 8' height is fine for my LEDs but may be a bit tight for HIDs with their larger foot print. The 8' width gives me a comfortable amount of room on the sides.

DSCN0007

B

blactunda

Nice layout roebuck.. im thinking about using my room like that instead of the tent inside..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

My space is 8' high and 8' wide and I'm running the UC8XL. The 8' height is fine for my LEDs but may be a bit tight for HIDs with their larger foot print. The 8' width gives me a comfortable amount of room on the sides.

View attachment 666216
Interesting the way you use the floro on the side. Allows you to use a bigger room but not lose out on your foot print. What is your gpw? U have a grow thread?

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Interesting the way you use the floro on the side. Allows you to use a bigger room but not lose out on your foot print. What is your gpw? U have a grow thread?

Thanks, much appreciated. So far my best gpw has been .8 on my first grow of Blue Dream. Those are also BDs and they are looking better than last grow, so maybe this time I'll hit that illusive 1 gpw. I never started a grow thread before as my camera had broken. I just got a new one, so I'll start one up.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Nice layout roebuck.. im thinking about using my room like that instead of the tent inside..

It's nice to have enough room to be able to walk around and reach all the plants easily. I had this shed first and then bought a system that would fit it the best. The UC8XL, with it's 25" centers was perfect.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

It's nice to have enough room to be able to walk around and reach all the plants easily. I had this shed first and then bought a system that would fit it the best. The UC8XL, with it's 25" centers was perfect.
Right on... is that a 2 bulb 8 footer t12 on each side?
I'm kinda trying to figure out how many watts your side lighting is ....

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Those are four 4', two bulb T5 HOs, 2 on each side. Each is 108 watts, so 432 watts total side lights. Combined with the LEDs my total wattage is 1,692. I just ordered four 216 watt strip LEDs for my 2nd system. That one will have a total of 2,124 watts. I'm going to experiment a bit with the placement of the strip LEDs. I'm thinking that rather than under my screen I'll try them just above it, farther to the side and angled in. If I'm satisfied with the strip LEDs and they make a significant difference in gpw I'll move those T5s to the garage and buy more of the strip LEDs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom