600 or 2-400's

• Thread starter wonka
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wonka

wonka

i have a 3x3 tray that i wanted to use soon and was woundering,, would it be better to put a 600 over it or 2-400's... if i use the 400's i was thinking i could mix up the bulbs if i wanted or not... so which would you farmers do.. the 600 or the 2-400's.. all thoughts are welcome and a big plus....:animbong:

darksideX

darksideX

wassup wonka..take 2 600s lol hahaha..
nah for myself i alwayz would prefer 2 of lower w than one higher..just ma 2c
all the best brah..

R

ReelBusy1

For a 3x3 the 600 is just fine though.
That puts you at 66.5 watts per sq ft.
One 400 would put you at 44.5 watts per sq ft.
Usually anything near 50 is doing great.
The double 400s would put you at about 89 watts per sq ft and I think heat in a small 3x3 type area might be an issue then unless you have great exhaust.

I think my math is right here but lets' have a few other farmers check my numbers....
:420:

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
For a 3x3 the 600 is just fine though.
That puts you at 66.5 watts per sq ft.
One 400 would put you at 44.5 watts per sq ft.
Usually anything near 50 is doing great.
The double 400s would put you at about 89 watts per sq ft and I think heat in a small 3x3 type area might be an issue then unless you have great exhaust.

I think my math is right here but lets' have a few other farmers check my numbers....
:420:

yes Sir ReelBusy1, those numbers are right on the money and your advice is solid.:cool0044:

jj

K

KushMaster707

i would go with one 600 for sure wonka. you get more than enough light for a 3x3 space, you'll use less electricity,and have less maintainence or expenses with a 600w lamp. like reelbusy said for a smaller area its gonna heat up alot more with two 400w lamps, so keep it simple and you'll be successful.

W

wpw

I believe the heat will be more of an issue w/ 1 600 than 2 400's...but I dunno for sure cuz I only use 1000's & 400's in flower...
I know I had a LOT less heat w/ 2 400's than 1 1kw in my big box...3x6x6'...temps went up 10-15*f when I switched to the 1kw.
600w also costs way more than 1kw where I live.
I can buy 1kw lamps & ballasts all day long @ my local electrical supply house for $159 out the door...whereas a 600w lamp & ballast is $289...
400w lamps & ballasts are $89 out the door...

Peace...wpw

wonka

wonka

i should have added this... my 3 x 3 tray will be in a space that is 4 x 4... i know light will be wasted outside the 3 x 3 tray...i am ok with that... either one,, a 6 inch vortex and 8 inch elicent can be used for cooling... thanks for all your thoughts,,, they have been a big plus...:animbong:

wonka

wonka

i would just use a 1000 but i have to keep the power down as the place is just a 2 bedroom apt... i am thinking of going with the 2-400's so i can use mh and hps for flowering.... either way i am using small plants / sog style so light penetration will not be a prob... just trying maximize.... so everyones thoughts are helping alot and hopefully going to let me see what path to take... thanks again..

A

astartes

I'm running a 600 in a DR80 tent. I pull through a can33 and a 4" vortex cools it, but the 6" vortex can be dialed down nicely. It will easily cool either the 600 or dual 400s.

Since you have a 4x4 space, and chance of ditching the table and going vertical with the two 400s in a cool tube up the middle? You could still keep it a sog with racks or a few rows on each of the 4 walls. Might not be as easy to maintain, but would be the most bang for the buck if keeping the wattage down is an issue..

Good luck with whichever way you go bro!

a.

A

Asiatica

I vote for (x2) 400's
This is because of light penetration and coverage.
You can hang em low and this will work well for the overall yield.
The area where the two 400's overlap light output will be at least equivalent if not greater than one 600.
I might even add some supplemental lighting from the sides, like some T5's or someting mon.

Also the 400's could be used later in a veg/mother room when you move up to 1000's.:smiley_joint:

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.:character0110:
Peace and positive vibes.

FYI - Personally I use 1000's only now.
Tried the 400, 600, 250, Str8 flouros, growzilla (2 600's in one hood), and now im VERY satisfied with my 1000.

B

Badmf

The 600 has the best; without a doubt lumens to watts ratio so it is the most efficient. Heat isn't an issue either way with the aforementioned cooling. As far as mixing bulbs you could always add T5's or blue LEDS to the sides using both(600 and side lites) without increasing heat by much and still gaining the advantage you seek.

O

Old Yeller

A 600 would be simpler & the most effecient use of light & electricity.

wonka

wonka

i am going to go with the 600... i wanted to upgrade to a dig 600 but my local shop only carries lumatex.... till they get there bug worked out i will pass on them... i thought about ordering a dig 600 on-line but i really dont know of one that is prob free and i dont want to go through the hassel of returning one... so i think i am going to get a 600 mag ballest made by powerhouse... also like you talked about badmf i am going to add some side lighting either t-5 or cfl's... instead of useing the 4 x 4 space or so i had i bought a 3 x 3 silver edition hut.... so,,,making a final choice on a ballast and i will go from there... thanks everyone for your thoughts... been a big help...:animbong:

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
wonka, check out the bulbs that can be used... only Hps in 600 watt 'ers ... with 400 's you can use Hortalux eye metal halides/with extra blue-the highest rated UVB par bulbs!! If resin and THC are your goals , then the choice is clear !! That is why we went with the 400's. But a 600 on a light mover would be nice but i do not like the extra strech i get from HPS bulbs. Hope this helps. monkey5

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

hey all .. why not try this.. 2 X 600's when on the 12 hour cycle use 2 timers (digital).. have one lamp on for 2 hours and switch lamps every 2 hours.. one on one off.. easy.. so on the bills it is only one lamp you are using..

wonka

wonka

how hard is it on a ballest to run it 24 hrs for 2 12/12's... the 600 powerhouse mag ballest i think i am going to go with has plates that come off u can hook a in-line fan up to it... so it would stay cool u would think... has anyone tried this or doing this right now...

H

hemdigler

i think i was reading that a 600w is the most efficient as far as lumans/watt....as long as you can keep heat under control a 600 would work fine... but like reelbusy said with a 400 u are still sittin pretty with watts/sq. ft.

B

Badmf

wonka, check out the bulbs that can be used... only Hps in 600 watt 'ers ... with 400 's you can use Hortalux eye metal halides/with extra blue-the highest rated UVB par bulbs!! If resin and THC are your goals , then the choice is clear !! That is why we went with the 400's. But a 600 on a light mover would be nice but i do not like the extra strech i get from HPS bulbs. Hope this helps. monkey5

Remember, he is going with side lighting as well as the HPS! So blue lite will be present as well and I don't get any stretch with HPS. Control of temps from day to nite and humidity also affect elongation. As far as UVB goes I have run UVB bulbs in grows and compared, the difference isn't enough to warrant use. The Sun however is a choice for those who can start indoors and finish out you will see an increase.

F

Fear

My tray is 3x3 but the plants grow over the edges of that. My space is a little less than 4' x 4' I need at least 800watts I have 1200watts with 2 600's and the heat isn't bad. In the winter I can keep an upstairs closet at 68-70 and the bay area temps are average here ave. 60f in the winter. I also grow at night too. I get good penetration to the lower branches with the extra wattage.

Does anyone know what the suns "wattage" would be on the ground.

DJXXPLATINUM

DJXXPLATINUM

hey wonka!!! i am using a 400hps with the hortilux bulb and i have a 4 x 4 space and one 400 works great!!! so with a 3 x 3 space i think a 400 watter is sufficient!!! but is heat isn't a problem 600 hps is the most efficient lumens per watt ratio!!! just my 2 cents!!!! peace djxx

Latest posts

Top Bottom