600w vs 1000w

• Thread starter Jellybean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jellybean

im going bigger in the coming months, seriously upgrading number of lights. after pricing everything out, bulbs, ballasts, and then the actual electric bill, im wondering if 1Ks are really worth it, will the return justify the cost? is there really that much of a difference between a 1k yield and 6oo yield? if i run the 600s side by side, i guess there would be regions of light overlap where certain plants would receive 1200w of light....

i really dont know, any help would be appreciated, advice from more experienced heads would be great.

roxy002

roxy002

Can't comment from experience, as only ever used 600W. But I have been advised from experienced growers in the past to stick with 600W, as 1000W have no real benefits, but obviously more expensive.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

this is gona b like a ford vs chevy thing. your gona get people comin in n saying whatever they use is best etc.

there is a TON of info on that issue. I'd recommend hittin the search bar.

that aside. i just switched from 1k's for 6's. i think it depends on the type of growing you do. if you grow big tree/bush style than 1k's but if your running SOG or SCROG than the 600's are the way to go.

honestly tho hit the search engine and you'll find a ton of info on this topic.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
WOW
1000 watters yield tremendously more than a 600w.
Only time I would use a 600watter is when you have height issues, other than that I'd hardly spend money on 600watters when 1000watters are the only way if you have the option. Not that it cost anymore to run 1kw over 600watters for equipment cost and sure the power costs more but your getting 40% more power outta 1000w.
It's true the 600watter is slightly more efficient in converting power but it's minimal and they don't penetrate very deeply...and to pay the same for bulbs and ballasts for 600 versus 1000watter makes it even easier for me to justify only running 1kws.
Your gonna get a 1lb or so off a 600watter or less and with a 1000 you can attain 2lbs...

J

Jellybean

this is gona b like a ford vs chevy thing. your gona get people comin in n saying whatever they use is best etc.

there is a TON of info on that issue. I'd recommend hittin the search bar.

that aside. i just switched from 1k's for 6's. i think it depends on the type of growing you do. if you grow big tree/bush style than 1k's but if your running SOG or SCROG than the 600's are the way to go.

honestly tho hit the search engine and you'll find a ton of info on this topic.

yeah i know the topic debate has been done to death, but i couldnt help it. :winking0067:

i also agree it depends on the style of grow, im doing sog in 4x4 coco beds, 6 -8 plants per bed...as far as light penetration i also dont know if that is issue cause i lollipop the shit out of the plants well into 4 weeks of flower.

symbiote420

symbiote420

You can hit the search engine, you can read, you can hear opinion after opinion on the matter but I'll tell you from straight up experience as I have recently made that switch this fall....1000 watters rock dude, I just showed my homie my top colas as we compared his grown under 600s, same strain (my Sour Diesel), he's upgrading ASAP bro, there's no comparison.......and trust me I thought the same till I got the 1k.

C

critical

does anyone think using the 2 different w lights in a room would be better, different light spectrums from the different watteges??? thoughts please farmers, i have both, might give it a try....

p.s great thread, iv been wondering about this myself recently

J

Jellybean

You can hit the search engine, you can read, you can hear opinion after opinion on the matter but I'll tell you from straight up experience as I have recently made that switch this fall....1000 watters rock dude, I just showed my homie my top colas as we compared his grown under 600s, same strain (my Sour Diesel), he's upgrading ASAP bro, there's no comparison.......and trust me I thought the same till I got the 1k.

thanks mayn. this is what i was looking to hear.

J

Jellybean

does anyone think using the 2 different w lights in a room would be better, different light spectrums from the different watteges??? thoughts please farmers, i have both, might give it a try....

p.s great thread, iv been wondering about this myself recently

i run blue spec t8s alongside my 600s in flower, seems to do wonders.

hiboy

hiboy

i run dual arcs along with 1000 hps lamps.
if i could purchase again, i'ld be buying all hortilux eye 1000 watt hps lamps.
like baba g said, if your scrogging or have height issues, 600 watters would do u fine
but if your in a regular 8' high ceiling, get the 1000 watters for sure
hb

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

At least consider buying one of the new ballasts like solis tek where you can burn a 400,600 or a 1000 by just turning the knob and putting in the proper sized bulb that way when/if you want to step up to a 1000 you dont have to buy a whole new ballast.Then you can experiment and not have to buy a new ballast if you want to change later.

C

critical

i have a 1000w hps and 3 600w dual spec hps n only ever used the 1 or the 3 600's, does anyone think it would provide a fuller spectrum using say 1 or 2 of the 600's and the 1000w together? or is the 1000 just providing the same spectrum of light just more of it?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty

thanks mayn. this is what i was looking to hear.

I didn't mention but I started with 10 600watters, so I'm def speaking from experience. Worst money I ever wasted, imagine changing all 10 lights to 1000watters, cost just as much as my initial 600 watter setup cost....but the ol PL reflectors did ok with 600watters, but as symbiote420 is saying 1kw is the way to go. Bottom line is you can do great with 600watters, but you can do way better with 1000watters.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
hey critical , the spectrum from the 600 & 1000 are bout the same if your running same bulb in each. You can mix them together but your canopy under the 1000 will be a lil more filled in most likely, just make sure your 600watters are closer to canopy then the 1kw and you can most def blanket extra light!

hiboy

hiboy

i have a 1000w hps and 3 600w dual spec hps n only ever used the 1 or the 3 600's, does anyone think it would provide a fuller spectrum using say 1 or 2 of the 600's and the 1000w together? or is the 1000 just providing the same spectrum of light just more of it?

Dual arcs are a trip, u can see the mh and hps elements , both red and blue burning up in the hood. Cool looking but the neg is that u have a 600 watt and 400 watt to make ur 1000 watts if its rated at 1000 watts.
Your hps lamp will ony put out the red spectrum for flower growth. Your mh only the blue.
Reason i used the duals is that i didnt want to swith lamps cause i veg in there for 2 weeks or so. Thought the duals would do me well, but not so sure yet. I have the hps 1000 watters and duals staggered.
hb

C

critical

hey critical , the spectrum from the 600 & 1000 are bout the same if your running same bulb in each. You can mix them together but your canopy under the 1000 will be a lil more filled in most likely, just make sure your 600watters are closer to canopy then the 1kw and you can most def blanket extra light!
hey baba g hope u well, thanks for the reply bet u have been up to your eyes in dankness so thanks for finding the time lol, il give a go next round :banana1sv6:

Dual arcs are a trip, u can see the mh and hps elements , both red and blue burning up in the hood. Cool looking but the neg is that u have a 600 watt and 400 watt to make ur 1000 watts if its rated at 1000 watts.
Your hps lamp will ony put out the red spectrum for flower growth. Your mh only the blue.
Reason i used the duals is that i didnt want to swith lamps cause i veg in there for 2 weeks or so. Thought the duals would do me well, but not so sure yet. I have the hps 1000 watters and duals staggered.
hb

hey hiboy hope your cool, are we on the same page? the sunmaster 600w dual spectrum bulbs have a 4 and 6 in 1???

J

Jellybean

At least consider buying one of the new ballasts like solis tek where you can burn a 400,600 or a 1000 by just turning the knob and putting in the proper sized bulb that way when/if you want to step up to a 1000 you dont have to buy a whole new ballast.Then you can experiment and not have to buy a new ballast if you want to change later.

for sure, im picking up the quantums

organicness

organicness

This plant was getting hit on one side with a 600w (left side) and the other side with a 1000w (right side). It's obvious just looking at the stems which side is bigger. And, the buds on the 1000w side are wayyyy bigger, much more dense. I'm picking up 2 more 1000w next week and will use the 600 in the veg tent.

IMAG0130
C

critical

its obvious that more watts is guna produce more bud under it but for reasons i can only guess like closer lights, more of a spread over the whole crop and lower heat n things, every pro or expert or whatever u wana call em have always told me n swoar to everyone else too that 600w's are better than 1000w's? thats why i stocked up on them instead after first getin my 1000w, anyone wana expand on that?

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

dimmable ballasts don't require a corresponding bulb to the wattage output. also they will only run th wattage their set at. ie even tho its a 1k ballast with it set at 400w its only pulling 400 watts. i know this cause i've tested it with an ammeter. which is a meter that measures amps. hooked the meter around the live and fiddled with the adjustments starting at 400 watts and increased incrementally and as i dialed up teh wattage teh amps corresponded. i just want to put this out there as im seeing soo much misinformation about dimmable ballasts. also ive read about spectrum changing wavelength. not true. the wavelength is determined by the bulb. the wattage determines how much power gets to the bulb. the bulb will still operate the same just not as bright as there is not the same amount of power reaching it.

that aside...

since your only running a 4x4 area and 1 light, moving up to a 1k is definitely what you should do. conversely tho. 2 600's would double your light footprint and only for an extra 200 watts.

i just went from a 8x10 room with 3 1k's to the same 8x10 room with the 4 6's and then a 5x 10 room with another 2 600's. im so confident my yield will increase i'd bet the farm, as tehy say.

Top Bottom