-700 EC in Coco runoff? Weird.

• Thread starter ThatRapperWeed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Hey all, been loving the learning curve of coco. Using advanced nutrients, was watching the ph, ppm and ec even though advanced tells you not to since their products are formulated a certain way, etc. Everything was looking good except for a minor magnesium deficiency. Picked up some cal mag from general hydroponics (they were out of advanced). I've been religious with proper daily watering, nutes etc. My second feeding with full strength was today and the ec started around 1000 and dropped to 350 in the runoff. Is this an anomaly? Should I not have mixed the general hydro cal mag in?

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

20210226 093039
20210226 094827
20210226 093203

tobh

tobh

Supporter
With pH perfect mixes, I know you're not supposed to add anything else, but having a lower EC in your runoff than your input is actually pretty ideal. It means your not overfeeding and keeping the media adequately moist so you're not getting salt buildup. I'll let @Aqua Man chime in as he's discussed pH perfect nutrient lines before, and I simply don't know if calmag will throw off the mix too bad.

The only other thing is how did you mix the solution with the calmag? Calmag is first, mixed thoroughly, then everything else can be added.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

With pH perfect mixes, I know you're not supposed to add anything else, but having a lower EC in your runoff than your input is actually pretty ideal. It means your not overfeeding and keeping the media adequately moist so you're not getting salt buildup. I'll let @Aqua Man chime in as he's discussed pH perfect nutrient lines before, and I simply don't know if calmag will throw off the mix too bad.

The only other thing is how did you mix the solution with the calmag? Calmag is first, mixed thoroughly, then everything else can be added.
Thanks. Yeah aquaman has been helping a lot, especially his write up on coco. I did mix the calmag first, then my a+b, then my b-52 and voodoo. Plants are looking good mostly so just trying to stay ahead of things.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks. Yeah aquaman has been helping a lot, especially his write up on coco. I did mix the calmag first, then my a+b, then my b-52 and voodoo. Plants are looking good mostly so just trying to stay ahead of things.
Imo ph perfect doesn't need cal mag or any other additives... mix and feed don't PH adjust EVER. Feed based on ppm and thats it. They seem to work well for ppl like that.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Imo ph perfect doesn't need cal mag or any other additives... mix and feed don't PH adjust EVER. Feed based on ppm and thats it. They seem to work well for ppl like that.
Thanks! I'm not touching the ph at all. Do you not think the picture is showing slight magnesium deficiency? It's actually a bit worse than the pic shows. Just don't want to have a bigger problem down the road.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks! I'm not touching the ph at all. Do you not think the picture is showing slight magnesium deficiency? It's actually a bit worse than the pic shows. Just don't want to have a bigger problem down the road.
Honestly most ppl have nutrient issues when they add to these nutes. They are designed to specifically work with RO and imo nothing should be added. They are not like nutrients in the traditional sense where you want to ph and tweak ratios. They will balance themselves left to thier own devices. It has to do with the chelation.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You also need to run them at a minimum of 400ppm and I would suggest more like 600-800ppm... this is because they need to be a certain concentration to balance the PH.

This goes against everything I normally recommend but again these are not like traditional nutrients.

Madmax

Madmax

I had this low.when i wasnt feeding daily and it eventually caught up and went past what i was feeding and had problems trying to keep ppms in check..was like flushing every 4 days.even after started doing daily feeds i couldnt correct it....Aqua got me sorted..

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Also in coco wanna make sure you are feeding often enough... no way you should see the ppm drop that much if they are getting fed often enough.
Thanks again, you're a lifesaver. I'm feeding once a day but I feel like I started full strength nutes later than I should have. If I keep seeing big drops should I feed twice until things even out?

Top Bottom