75 Watt Metal Halide

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

so i was just gifted a box full of 75 watt lamps and fixtures from the last century, are these doing any good in veg? Should i remove the lens on the fixture? Which lamp style is best? Thanks

75 watt metal halide
75 watt metal halide 2
75 watt metal halide 3
The Jewels

The Jewels

Reflectors are certainly better than bare, for overhead lighting .

Madbud

Madbud

Reflectors are certainly better than bare, for overhead lighting .
The reflector lamps appear to be flood lights with less lumens. They look like stage lights, the lamps are 75 watts with better saturation than either the 100 watt equivalent led or 48” flourescents i was using. Something like 6000 lumens vs 1500? For now the phillips 75’s and a flood are running 18/6. Had a fourth running but i think i fried something.

Madbud

Madbud

The black ones have reflector hoods, and a difusing lens that i’m leaving open. Two days and they’re loving it.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

The three bulbs in the middle look like Metal Halide bulbs. Those are good for vegetative growth. If it were my grow, I would steer away from the different fixtures and get a safer and more efficient wing reflector.

iPower 19" Wing Reflector

Other than that, the plants look great. Never saw a coffee tin grow before. Nifty.

Madbud

Madbud

The three bulbs in the middle look like Metal Halide bulbs. Those are good for vegetative growth. If it were my grow, I would steer away from the different fixtures and get a safer and more efficient wing reflector.

iPower 19" Wing Reflector

Other than that, the plants look great. Never saw a coffee tin grow before. Nifty.
Thanks, the ipower setup looks like a good deal. The coffee cans have done the job. The lids on the bottom are watertight.

2343EDBB 3597 40C1 9024 9A8DCBC9ECD2
I

Ikkt

I used 70W CMD/HCI lamps with electronic ballasts for years. In those low wattages they are absolutely great.

But what you have there looks more like HQI/Metal halide with Quartz tube. They have way less light and loose a lot of lumens fast. Spectrum ain't that great either iirc.
If you want to use something like that I can really recommend CDM-T elite or equivalent osram HCI powerball bulbs. 10€ on ebay and an electronic ballast you'll get there for 5-10€.
Best clone/mother/veg light I've ever seen, as leds in many situations lack infrared radiation. Great for flowering too, in either 930 or 942 color, especially in small cabinets or the like.
Don't use 830 or anything with an 8 in front, always the 9xx and elite or powerball versions, much more light and they'll last a couple years till they loose 10%.

Since I switched to led for a last run I still try to figure out how to deal with the lack of heat and especially ir radiation.
Will probably mix 50W of CDM for every 100W of led.

always look at the quartz tube, if it's not clean anymore the bulbs best days are over!
The one in the row that's quite black is done, could be a ceramic one but nonetheless. Getting dark or somehow irregular = done.

Madbud

Madbud

How's your grow turning out, Madbud?
Lots of stretch and overgrown but healthy. Topped and trimmed out. Been hardening them outside on the bulkhead stairs. Lights are down to 16/8. Gave 4 to one of my car guys, the guy who recharges my suburbans ac for free. Just waiting for the rain to let up👍

Latest posts

Top Bottom