8 bulb T5 vs SF 1000 light

• Thread starter buzzon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
buzzon

buzzon

I have a 2'x3.5' closet space I started some stuff in last yr with a 70 watt hps, and a few 2' t8 plant lights. I'm wanted to upgrade a bit, and last fall I got a great deal on a 2'x2' 8 bulb t5 light with 8 bulbs for veg and 8 for flower. The T5 is capable of running just 4 of the bulbs, or all 8 controlled by 2 switches. Without looking up the stats again this light (according to the bulb wattage) uses 200 watts at the wall. The plan is to start beans and run them for perhaps a month at the outside. The exception is..... I may start some regs and sex them to grow out a mother plant or two to take cuts from before they're set out themselves. I was thinking of buying a spider farmer sf 1000 as an upgrade, as it pulls just 125 watts and the wall from what I remember. The electricity cost leans me towards going for the SF light, but my question is besides being more efficient .... is the SF light worlds better than this 8 bulb T5?

buzzon

buzzon

Many thanks to the "experts" here who are took the time to answer such a basic question.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

Ill start by saying I'm far from an expert. But, I have used T5 fixtures for many years with great success.

I don't know anything about the SF1000 so I cant comment on that light. If you are planning on using just one light for the whole grow, T5 lights are not really enough light to flower with...

I mean you can, but the light penetration at the canopy with a T5 is pretty minimal. Plan on some pretty small plants with some pretty small loose flowers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are growers here who get pretty good results flowering with a T5, but you will never get ...optimum growth imo. T5 lights are great for seedlings, clones, and early veg...Once the plant gets about12-16 inches tall T5 starts to become less than optimum.

If I were you I would be thinking about both T5 for early veg and LED for later veg and flower. I grow perpetually so I have all three lights. I start seedlings and clones under the T5, once they get 12-16 inches tall I move them over to 300 watts of LED for a few weeks, then to the flower room for 650watts of LED. They need more and more light as they progress. Hope this helps!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

No matter how many experts there are, you are looking for someone with experience with an SF 1000. No one with that experience saw your post, is my guess. It hasn't been on the market long.

For lighting a 2' x 2' space, the SF1000 is likely the better option. I haven't heard anyone who owns a Spider Farmer light complain about it, but that doesn't mean no one has a beef.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Agree with both previous reactions.
Have used T5 in the past but only for seedlings and clones.
For flowering surely better to use the LED.
Now i only use sunshine, such a delight.
Good luck !

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have a 2'x3.5' closet space I started some stuff in last yr with a 70 watt hps, and a few 2' t8 plant lights. I'm wanted to upgrade a bit, and last fall I got a great deal on a 2'x2' 8 bulb t5 light with 8 bulbs for veg and 8 for flower. The T5 is capable of running just 4 of the bulbs, or all 8 controlled by 2 switches. Without looking up the stats again this light (according to the bulb wattage) uses 200 watts at the wall. The plan is to start beans and run them for perhaps a month at the outside. The exception is..... I may start some regs and sex them to grow out a mother plant or two to take cuts from before they're set out themselves. I was thinking of buying a spider farmer sf 1000 as an upgrade, as it pulls just 125 watts and the wall from what I remember. The electricity cost leans me towards going for the SF light, but my question is besides being more efficient .... is the SF light worlds better than this 8 bulb T5?
I use the 6 light 4ft t5's for veg (Amazon $135 Cdn ) on top and one along side for a bit extra side lighting ($50) . If I get too much foliage I'll add led pot lights to help penetrate the canopy. I go from there to a 1000w hps, so I can't help with your flower light but I like the T5 lights because of the heat they generate is perfect for my room & I can keep the lights right on top of the plants without burning them 1-2" away.

buzzon

buzzon

I knew that would get a response, and I appreciate it guys.
No doubt the sf1000 is the better option for efficiency and end product if it goes to finish. The 2' x 3.5' space is just to start them, and perhaps to keep a plant for cuttings till summer. The space is in a unheated room, and right now the T5 and a seeding mat only get it up to 60 degrees. I replaced the seeding mat with a small 70 watt hps that gets hot as hell this am, and am keeping an eye on it. Hopefully I can get it up to 75-80 with lights on. I'm thinking the sf1000 would put off less heat than 8 - 2' T5's which is good for summer, but not so much at the moment. I got the T5 with 8 veg and 8 flower bulbs for 20 bucks. I believe The sf1000 will win out in the end, and maybe i can pass the T5 along.

buzzon

buzzon

I use the 6 light 4ft t5's for veg (Amazon $135 Cdn ) on top and one along side for a bit extra side lighting ($50) . If I get too much foliage I'll add led pot lights to help penetrate the canopy. I go from there to a 1000w hps, so I can't help with your flower light but I like the T5 lights because of the heat they generate is perfect for my room & I can keep the lights right on top of the plants without burning them 1-2" away.

Interesting.... What heights are you starting seeds at? cuttings? I ran T8's 1/2" to 1" away to start them, but I had it in my head the T5's needed more distance.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Interesting.... What heights are you starting seeds at? cuttings? I ran T8's 1/2" to 1" away to start them, but I had it in my head the T5's needed more distance.
I keep them a 3-4 inches away, they can get closer and don't burn until they touch the lamp. I ran T8's for years I have a closed store full of them but I like t5's more. I get a better light with more intensity that penetrates the canopy a bit better.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I knew that would get a response, and I appreciate it guys.
No doubt the sf1000 is the better option for efficiency and end product if it goes to finish. The 2' x 3.5' space is just to start them, and perhaps to keep a plant for cuttings till summer. The space is in a unheated room, and right now the T5 and a seeding mat only get it up to 60 degrees. I replaced the seeding mat with a small 70 watt hps that gets hot as hell this am, and am keeping an eye on it. Hopefully I can get it up to 75-80 with lights on. I'm thinking the sf1000 would put off less heat than 8 - 2' T5's which is good for summer, but not so much at the moment. I got the T5 with 8 veg and 8 flower bulbs for 20 bucks. I believe The sf1000 will win out in the end, and maybe i can pass the T5 along.
If it's an unheated space, a small MH might be your best bet. But if it's only for starting plants, you might just stick with the t-5s.

Madmax

Madmax

I use 4x24watt t5s 2 ft long for seedlings and i found 8 8 1/2 inches away was the G spot.i veg 3 weeks with them and bloody love them

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

I keep them a 3-4 inches away, they can get closer and don't burn until they touch the lamp. I ran T8's for years I have a closed store full of them but I like t5's more. I get a better light with more intensity that penetrates the canopy a bit better.
Same feeling. T5s for the win till past early veg. After early veg for most of my plants , I go LED but T5 LEDS are an option if you want to save bank not having to buy another fixture. Obviously hps/mh are also options depending on heat/temp demands.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

T5 LEDS are an option if you want to save bank not having to buy another fixture.
Totally agree!! They are bright as heeeeeell! i got 8 LED t5 HO and for just 160 watts im growing a jungle of clones, veggin them till theyr ready to flower
The old fluorescent t5 penetration issues are gone with the switch to led...

buzzon

buzzon

Rt on..... A buddy converted his, and said it's a major difference. Sad he needed another ballast to make them work. If I end up getting Leds... I'll just get the sf light.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Totally agree!! They are bright as heeeeeell! i got 8 LED t5 HO and for just 160 watts im growing a jungle of clones, veggin them till theyr ready to flower
The old fluorescent t5 penetration issues are gone with the switch to led...
I've heard this before about penetration issues but with side lighting with 1 t5 I'm not having that problem. When I last looked the HO tubes were about the same price as the led replacement strips but I stuck with what I know and I like the t5's. I used t8's for years with success ... vegging.

My issue now is my electrical consumption. Our electric was over $500 for 62 days. With both rooms going full time, 1500w lighting 350w in fans & humidifiers. 1200w heater set to 78f in a 70f house. Its fFkin expensive to smoke as much as I do.

So instead of cutting down on my smoking consumption I need to cut back on my electrical consumption..lol That is the only reason I'm interested in this new ( to me ) tech. lighting.😀😀

When I need new equipment I need to know what to get....

Top Bottom