A couple of questions...

• Thread starter OGKE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OGKE

OGKE

Greetings. I am new to this. First grow is about a month + into flower. Procured a few clones from a friend. Had them 24/7 light )outdoors during the day, indoors in a small tent during the night. Transplanted them into 5 gal grow bags and set them out to flower.
4 sativa plants. 3 were a strain called Kauai Electric. One was what my friend told me was a "Hill billy Hash bud".

They are in Aurora 707, which is a coco medium. I am feeding 2x a week with Fox farms trio (grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom, according to FF's instructions) and a cal/mag. Watering as needed and not to run off, but until they are fairly wet. I will be flushing every 3 weeks to prevent local out.
As far as temp and humidity, I am located in Hawaii.
Unfortunately I do not do PPM or PH or EC (whatever that is)-- I know I should but have not made the investment in the meters yet.

Issues so far: Initially, going by the way the plants were acting and some advice of this site, they had russet mites.( the 3 Kauai electrics were hit worse. The Hill billy not so much.) Treated with Nuke'em and neem foliar sprays. That seemed to help a lot, but 2 of the KEs never got too much better and to this day are still putting out stunted rounded new growth leaves. ( I have isolated them) the 1 KE that is doing OK still has a couple of lower branches with he same stunted/rounded growth, but the rest of th plant seems pretty healthy. The Hillbilly is no longer showing any original symptoms-- which was taco curling of leaves. Then I noticed ants, looked around here and the web and learn they often are a sign of aphids. Seeing no aphids, further research pointed towards Root aphids. Treated with a neem flush and also a Neem foliar spray. Also put out ant baits, which has cut back on the ants but not completely eliminated them. The plants then started showing some yellowing leaves, which according to what I found online, could be nutrient deficient...or lock out...or results of root aphids. Went with the least aggressive tactic first-- flushed em all really good.
They seemed to like that, but even with follow-up regular feedings, still showed some yellowing/death in the leaves. I then got some Botanigard and did a 1/2 hour soak on each. Followed that with 1/2 does feeding for a couple days and am now back to full strength feedings. They are doing better but there are still some leaves that are yellowing/dying. According to what Ive read/seen, the look of the leaves is a mag deficiency. So I have added that to their meals. While nothing seems to be making them look 100% better, they do look to be doing pretty fair, and since Ive resumed regular full strength feeding, the flowers seem to be gaining some size. So hopefully that will continue. I hit up my friend and he also had some issues with mites about the same time I did.
Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated .
Now onto my questions: Is it possible that the root aphids or even the mites could have come from the soil we used? I took a few clones from them before I put em out to flower, and the clones also showed signs of curling, so i hit them with neem a couple times and they are fine now. In fact I need to up-pot them. With that in mind, would it be beneficial to give them a Botanigard soak? And is it possible to pre-treat the soil I will be using to up-pot them with botanigard or something else to inoculate it before I up-pot the babies? I am looking to avoid repeating the issues I have come up against so far with the originals. The first 2 pics are the KE and one of its stunted leaf branches, and one of the whole plant. The 3rd and 4th is the HB and its pale yellowing leafs, and the whole plant.
This is my first grow since high school which was 40 years ago lol, so I am turning to the gurus here for wisdom. Its been a real learning process which I am enjoying. I have a great new appreciation for what it actually takes to grow. Mahalo for any input. Aloha.

A couple of questions
A couple of questions 2
A couple of questions 3
A couple of questions 4
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi you said your not watering till run off .... I would change that water till 10 to 20% run off I can see some Nute burn on tips the salt build up won’t be helping it can cause all types of problems. Od

OGKE

OGKE

Hi you said your not watering till run off .... I would change that water till 10 to 20% run off I can see some Nute burn on tips the salt build up won’t be helping it can cause all types of problems. Od

Ok! will do. I was alway paranoid about overwatering and root rot. More run off equals less salts I take it? Mahalo!

OGKE

OGKE

also...any thoughts on if its possible the bugs were hiding in the soil and pre-treating it or any type soil that I am using?

Top Bottom