A detailed explanation of why fast curing buds in preferable to slow curing.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
MoodySass

MoodySass

True. :cat:
weed needs to be keep away from light and cured properly and promptly, otherwise it will deteriorate the same as any other organic matter. :cat: :cat:

Fire Bean

Fire Bean

FWIW.. Flue curing of tobacco takes a few days as opposed to 2 or more weeks for air-drying and flue cured tobacco is much higher quality.

Abel

Abel

I admit I'm still a newb, but clearly there’s a lot of complex chemistry going on that is not yet fully understood. It makes sense that slow curing comes at the cost of potency loss but it does improve flavor. I guess it’s finding the balance.

Fire Bean

Fire Bean

I think that’s what he’s saying, you can get both if you read what he wrote...

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

Yarra, I was going to PM you this link, but it seems you don't allow messaging, so here ya go

I think you will enjoy it.

And this is along that line as well. Potentially really useful stuff

Thanks for the links bro, very interesting! Great seeing the progress and developments that have been happening over the last few years.

YS

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

How cold? Going to change the AC in the dry room to try. Honestly hate waiting close to a month between chop and sale.

Actually, I use dehumidifiers, not AC, though in theory the latter could work. However, it would be much slower. The idea is to do it in a fully sealed space with no air leaks which can allow humidified air in. This will drop the RH to such a level that ~95% or more of the moisture will be drawn out. Once that's achieved, then you can rehydrate with ambient humidity.

Have you done many side by side smoke tests with this method?

Many times. It's been tried and tested with multiple grows, strains and with multiple people smoking the end product. This is now my standard practice and has been for many years.

YS

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

What about jar curing and burping every few days?

What exactly is the reasoning for burping every few days? Are you trying to release moisture? Then use a desiccant instead. Are you trying to release ethylene? Why? What makes you think it’s being produced if there’s no moisture and biological activity has been suspended. If ethylene is present how is if affecting potency and quality? Burping only reintroduces a fresh load of oxygen and moisture. Don’t do it.

YS

SunGrown

SunGrown

for years now i have either run dehueys 24/7 at full blast or used a wood stove (wood stoves work great but you really have to pay attention), about 3 days then into pet food bins. Food grade and airtight. I havent ever flushed them with nitrogen or anything but I have never stored them for too long either. Each one holds roughly 8 units.

T

toquer

Actually, I use dehumidifiers, not AC, though in theory the latter could work. However, it would be much slower. The idea is to do it in a fully sealed space with no air leaks which can allow humidified air in. This will drop the RH to such a level that ~95% or more of the moisture will be drawn out. Once that's achieved, then you can rehydrate with ambient humidity

YS
My dehu's all create heat. Do I have the wrong ones? I've built an insulated closed airtight pine tongue and groove plank wall room. It's dark and dry. 30 plants take close to a week to dry with the 30 pint a day unit. I'm thinking 5k should do for the room. It's 3x8x8.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Sounds very interesting, my issue would be low RH. Here in colorado at 5400ft. were very surprised to see 10% humidity, ever. So when you say 're humidify by opening to the ambient RH' i freak out because my stuff would dry to dust if i did that,...i would love a fast cure method that took a low Rh into concederation~ I was an oldschool slow cure, dark in glass sometimes for a few months always epic smooth and far more psychoactive than the young herb~ But the market dictates and it says ' lets go now' all day long here. i would Love any feed back or ideas for a low RH quick cure for flavor.......?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
i dont wanna be a troll
But, fwiw
Dry to a crisp and then rehydrate?..
Ive done that on accident..and rehydrated...the smell was gone

I dont dare try this at home..

edit to add ;:rolleyes:

Last edited:
UCMETOO

UCMETOO

for years now i have either run dehueys 24/7 at full blast or used a wood stove (wood stoves work great but you really have to pay attention), about 3 days then into pet food bins. Food grade and airtight. I havent ever flushed them with nitrogen or anything but I have never stored them for too long either. Each one holds roughly 8 units.

Loved a simmilar techniqu when i lived on Mt. Hood,...Dry out the house and the crop in a three day 'hot box' and say no more!!! But now i would be holding about one 10th the weight if i even thought about going that route.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Loved a simmilar techniqu when i lived on Mt. Hood,...Dry out the house and the crop in a three day 'hot box' and say no more!!! But now i would be holding about one 10th the weight if i even thought about going that route.
well then you have to get good at rehydrating, which I really hope @YarraSparra will give me his take on...I have my special home made hydrating sleeves that I use, and other guys I know have it down to a certain amount of grams per h2o via a sprayer method...but I want yarras take for sure

SunGrown

SunGrown

i dont wanna be a troll
But, fwiw
Dry to a crisp and then rehydrate?..
Ive done that on accident..and rehydrated...the smell was gone

I dont dare try this at home..

edit to add ;:rolleyes:
This is sorta kinda how most guys I know do it, and actually the smell comes out its best when done right

Ken, you fuckin troll you!

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

OK so let me get this straight. You don't flush...you dry it fast and til it crumbles, then rehydrate it. Are you even really a grower? Out of all the posts I've seen from you I haven't seen one single pic of anything you've grown that would imply you have a clue that you know what you're doing. Lots of people can write shit and sound smart, but this is a grow site, not a popular science, or who's the smartest site. MGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom