A detailed explanation of why fast curing buds in preferable to slow curing.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
UCMETOO

UCMETOO

It was not a "pointer" it is a critique.

Y may i ask what your PhD is in? and Where you got your degree, and when? and also what you do for "WORK" it might give us a little more common ground,......My wife just recieved her second PhD. in Social Work, but she would not know Blight spotting from a Cal`Mag issue.

and i have huge issues with people incorrectly using words like 'Stipulate' and 'learnt' especially when they are condecending and claiming having earned a PhD.

When you say things like 'the last 5 years my grow is more science based' then we expect to see the 'Science' ( you know what that means right? explainable and repeatable results) and you haven't offered a link to either. You might be on to someone elses idea and it may be a great idea, but unless we each do out own research into your 'clue' its is worthless, all because you hint at information but are unwilling(?) to provide the details,.....

Oldmanstoner

Oldmanstoner

This reminds me of the freeze dry for 21 days! I tried that an really screwed it up! I obviously lost track an freeze for 22 days an really screwed it all up! Yet, even in freeze dried you have to hang it for a day to let it dry out or rehydrate it, not really sure? Yet I was thinking of smoking no weed today but after reading this I think I need a bowl, maybe a blunt oh hell lets just break out the rig!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Everybody can do it anyway they want. If you like to smoke it and other people like it and/or buy it keep on keeping on.

Some people love fresh dried green weed. Some people love cured weed with the green gone.

We don't go around saying my menthol cigarettes are way better than your non menthol. Or challenge people who love vodka because you think your whiskey is the best spirit.

Weed growing brings out a lot of infighting. Who woulda thunk it?

way2green

way2green

Actually Tobor
I do think my vodka is better than your whiskey. I know peeps think Grey Goose is pretty good for the money but I still prefer Kettle one!
Lol.
I love many whiskey brands as well
I can't get my arms around a 24 hour cure because I think 3-4 days works great for me. The humbling part of this is 10 years ago I thought everything had to go 10-14 days curing or I had wasted 3 months growing that plant! Lol
I guess i appreciate the science but still need to take baby steps to apply it........

way2green

way2green

Y may i ask what your PhD is in? and Where you got your degree, and when? and also what you do for "WORK" it might give us a little more common ground,......My wife just recieved her second PhD. in Social Work, but she would not know Blight spotting from a Cal`Mag issue.

and i have huge issues with people incorrectly using words like 'Stipulate' and 'learnt' especially when they are condecending and claiming having earned a PhD.

When you say things like 'the last 5 years my grow is more science based' then we expect to see the 'Science' ( you know what that means right? explainable and repeatable results) and you haven't offered a link to either. You might be on to someone elses idea and it may be a great idea, but unless we each do out own research into your 'clue' its is worthless, all because you hint at information but are unwilling(?) to provide the details,.....
"Learnt" fucked up that post for me too......

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Thoughts on vacuum dry? I got a few oz in the chamber right now.
Vacuum lowers the pressure, which lowers the boiling point of volitiles, causing flavorful and aromatic terpenes to evaporate from the buds. Your pump oil will smell nice though.

It also lowers the relative humidity drastically, causing exactly the high frangibility some in this thread are stressing about. Since its been a few days now, you probably know what I mean? Those were the results I saw anyway.

T

toquer

Vacuum lowers the pressure, which lowers the boiling point of volitiles, causing flavorful and aromatic terpenes to evaporate from the buds. Your pump oil will smell nice though.

It also lowers the relative humidity drastically, causing exactly the high frangibility some in this thread are stressing about. Since its been a few days now, you probably know what I mean? Those were the results I saw anyway.
They were only in the chamber for about thirty minutes, could see the moisture leaving through the vacuum hose. Definitely lost some odor. Perhaps lowering the temp would work? Seems tedious though when you got 5lbs every other week.

Beauty Green

Beauty Green

My husband manages a dispensary, will certainly be getting him to have a read of this as it’s his forte. Folk are talking about lyophilization as an alternative for curing medical marijuana. But at this stage we really have no control over how people cure their product, we can only make a superficial assessment at the point of sale and relay feedback to the grower. I can say with certainty most of our suppliers cure traditional though there is at least one guy who supplies us that tells us he has curing down to a few days and his product is consistently very popular with customers. Also we keep everything in glass, but not in the dark. We are looking into clear getting polycarbonate containers that are meant to block all ultraviolet light but still allow for aesthetic display.

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

I think your ego might be bigger than your buds ..@YarraSparra ....................just my view though

I have to admit that made me laugh.

Good call re. your assertion on oxidized cannabinoids. I don’t know. How? What is currently understood of cannabinoid oxides is that these compounds are essentially ‘inactivated’ when bound to oxygen (eg. THC —> CBN). A high CBN ratio would dampen the bioavailability of THC wouldn’t it? I stay clear from talking about effect because it’s subjective. Maybe you like weed that has a higher CBD:THC ratio. Some start ups are trying to breed strains for CBD only. CBD has a relaxing sedative effect that takes the edge off some of the effects of THC. Weed that has a high THC:CBD ratio can produce a very unpleasant effect for people that want to be medicated for pain, insomnia or whatever. I assume most of the patients who buy my weed smoke it for the same reason I do - they wanna get high. Anyway you raised a good point thanks for taking the time to read my post. Twice.

could you maybe go into more detail on the process more now instead of the science side as i think we all get that part.it just didnt seem like much info on exactly how a guy looking to try a new method could set up a small chamber.like i said i could def risk a few onces to give it a shot and let my patients be the judge on how they like it.i have a small 50 pint dehuy i could use in a closet or even tent.or is it just as good to use an a/c unit? i did reread your origal post a few times and it sounded like you used 95f heat and 10-20% rh but then someone mentioned using a/c and like 50f which is complete opposite lol.and what about using a hot,dry attic space like it gets 95-100f during the day and 60-70f at night in my attic but always stays dry @ around 25-30%rh

I think your attic will be fine for a small test run. I suggest using a fan to strip the water vapour from the buds surface. This will speed up the process. Heat also speeds things up, cold will slow things down. So if you are going to do some double blind trials try to avoid all other variables, i.e. both fast cured and slow cured buds should be at the same level of dryness when smoked. Unless you have some super sensitive scales that might be hard to get perfect but a little squeeze should indicate how dry a bud is. Like I said if a bud is very dry it will burn hotter and I think that accounts for a harsh taste. Good luck.

Yep my writing’s often crappy, although learnt is actually an alternative spelling of learned. Sorry if it comes across as condescending, didn’t mean to. Nope you can’t have my personal details. I already provided you with an in-depth explanation at the start of this thread. Could you help me out a little and tell me specifically which part you want to see supporting literature on?

Not to mention the title to the thread is improperly phrased..... "in preferable". I would think that one with a PhD in anything would be more literate.

I'm out of here for good.

Because people with PhDs don't make typos? LOL I think you have an unrealistic view of the world my friend. Professional editors exist for a reason. :)

YS

O

Organicyumyum

I have to admit that made me laugh.

Good call re. your assertion on oxidized cannabinoids. I don’t know. How? What is currently understood of cannabinoid oxides is that these compounds are essentially ‘inactivated’ when bound to oxygen (eg. THC —> CBN). A high CBN ratio would dampen the bioavailability of THC wouldn’t it? I stay clear from talking about effect because it’s subjective. Maybe you like weed that has a higher CBD:THC ratio. Some start ups are trying to breed strains for CBD only. CBD has a relaxing sedative effect that takes the edge off some of the effects of THC. Weed that has a high THC:CBD ratio can produce a very unpleasant effect for people that want to be medicated for pain, insomnia or whatever. I assume most of the patients who buy my weed smoke it for the same reason I do - they wanna get high. Anyway you raised a good point thanks for taking the time to read my post. Twice.

I think your attic will be fine for a small test run. I suggest using a fan to strip the water vapour from the buds surface. This will speed up the process. Heat also speeds things up, cold will slow things down. So if you are going to do some double blind trials try to avoid all other variables, i.e. both fast cured and slow cured buds should be at the same level of dryness when smoked. Unless you have some super sensitive scales that might be hard to get perfect but a little squeeze should indicate how dry a bud is. Like I said if a bud is very dry it will burn hotter and I think that accounts for a harsh taste. Good luck.

Yep my writing’s often crappy, although learnt is actually an alternative spelling of learned. Sorry if it comes across as condescending, didn’t mean to. Nope you can’t have my personal details. I already provided you with an in-depth explanation at the start of this thread. Could you help me out a little and tell me specifically which part you want to see supporting literature on?

Because people with PhDs don't make typos? LOL I think you have an unrealistic view of the world my friend. Professional editors exist for a reason. :)

YS

I could care less about a PHD or anything of that nature. Anyone I have ever met who gets too scientific when growing herb ends up creating some chemmy nasty buds. I am a man of science, and as a man of science I know one thing.......herb grown organically in soil with proper conditions is the best possible herb you can smoke. Curing and drying are necessary parts of the process and speeding them up only makes the cannabis of lesser quality. I suggest anyone reading this nonsense to quickly leave this thread before your mind is polluted with absolute BS! Spreading misinformation as truth is ridiculous! If you want to entertain a theory and run side by side comparisons for all to see then please do. But we don't need anyone on here claiming they are a scientist and telling people to stop curing and flushing their herb! boooooo to you sir! Also, PHD's are allowed a typo from time to time, though one would think anyone educated on that level would grammar/spellcheck anything that they were posting online for all to see. But then again, I hold everything to a higher standard than most. Rant done, now get back to work turning up your Dehumidifier to full blast. Don't want your herb drying too quickly now!

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Some of the threads are just Outstanding ! !
Critical reviews and white papers or even Doctoral theses are only going to hold sway on the farm
when you can see and hear from others that it works, or you try it for yourself.
Not so long ago, the rhizosphere and the interactions between the plants root were mocked even after proven to be sound.
Now look where microbial health of the plant is, Hell we have our own micro building blocks in a few
Bags of Talc, (OG Biowar) and can take on Root infestations never thought beatable.

My newbie take on all of it is just that….. a newbie opinion,
a year ago I had no Idea what aerated compost tea Was,
6 months ago I would never have tried to clone a living plant
and a few hours ago I was told by a Veteran buddy that because of the plant I grew, cut, and dried...He was able to sleep through the night.

I would bury a sample of bud in moldy bread under an apple tree if it would help just one more person. So now ask yourself what will you try to do tomorrow?

Always Positive Vibes from the FlyJ

O

Organicyumyum

Some of the threads are just Outstanding ! !
Critical reviews and white papers or even Doctoral theses are only going to hold sway on the farm
when you can see and hear from others that it works, or you try it for yourself.
Not so long ago, the rhizosphere and the interactions between the plants root were mocked even after proven to be sound.
Now look where microbial health of the plant is, Hell we have our own micro building blocks in a few
Bags of Talc, (OG Biowar) and can take on Root infestations never thought beatable.

My newbie take on all of it is just that….. a newbie opinion,
a year ago I had no Idea what aerated compost tea Was,
6 months ago I would never have tried to clone a living plant
and a few hours ago I was told by a Veteran buddy that because of the plant I grew, cut, and dried...He was able to sleep through the night.

I would bury a sample of bud in moldy bread under an apple tree if it would help just one more person. So now ask yourself what will you try to do tomorrow?

Always Positive Vibes from the FlyJ

The use of teas as a biofilm to stop molds and pests and for root building as a soil drench is nothing new to organic gardening. It's just that the cannabis world is so sold by a bunch of hyped up products that they forget what works in the first place. And like you said, having experiments done so that people can see first hand is great. But spouting off info without proving it with photographic proof is irrelevant. And I can tell you from firsthand experience, after growing for the past 14 years, that quick drying bud til brittle without a flush and then no cure will have you ending up with terrible medicine that will burn harsh and taste absolutely terrible. Period.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Blaze already told you guys there is no need to burp.:rolleyes:
Hang in the dark @ 50% rh for 7 or 8 days.. done deal..it's that simple;)
But yeah, I would like to hear it from Texas Kid too.:)

edit to add; Organic Yum Yum Know his stuff you guys!

GTSY postin Yum Yum! :)

edit again to add; Im still new at this too..(almost 4 years)
I learned by reading these threads and trail and error and ..
I found, if I keep the room or dark tent at 50% RH, I can smoke it after about 7 days.
But,I can hang the plants in there for as long as I want..a few weeks even.
as long as the room stays at around 50% ;)
Humidfier 1

Last edited:
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

They were only in the chamber for about thirty minutes, could see the moisture leaving through the vacuum hose. Definitely lost some odor. Perhaps lowering the temp would work? Seems tedious though when you got 5lbs every other week.
It would just have to be colder than the new boiling points established with your vacuum reading (lighter pull = higher boiling). The math for this has also been discussed among closed loop extractor technicians here and elsewhere (http://skunkpharmresearch.com I think).

I found a food saver attachment for quart jars and tested storing flowers at relatively light vacuum for some weeks and comparing to regular sealed jars. I also left some for a few months, and with those the buds were obviously better preserved and showed less oxidative degradation (color retention) than the control jars, except they were very dry and crumbly. At that time I was ignorant of rehydrating as a viable option.

Thanks again YarraSparra for sharing your ideas. It's a shame these trolls can't evolve beyond grunting and feces throwing to have an on topic discussion.

J

Jalisco Kid

Even the great prophet uncle ben over at riu used pictures to convince us that topping for 4 main colas will not kill our plants bwahahahahahahaha.
Seriously though, I want to hear from the big boys that cant possibly have time to cure shit 6 weeks or burp 1000 jars a day, big boys like @JACKMAYOFFER ,@Texas Kid ,@Jalisco Kid
are these guys missing the thread or just not interested on giving an opinion one way or the other?
I use dog food kibble bins. I buy the 30lb containers. These will hold 3 lbs,they are airtight,and light is not a problem. Basically they hold the same amount of one of my patio screens,that I stack 6 high. Suerte JK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom