A detailed explanation of why fast curing buds in preferable to slow curing.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaze

Blaze

Pretty sure he is serious. Much of the info in the original post is accurate. Some of the info, I am a little skeptical of however.

Burping is indeed totally and utterly pointless. If you cure and dry your bud properly the first time, it does not need to be done. If you have to burp, your buds are too wet and all you are doing is exposing the buds to air and fucking up your cure. Not getting your buds dry enough is one of the biggest mistakes I see people make, even experienced growers. Leaving too much moisture in the buds will cause them to turn brown after a while, and ruin the smell and flavor and make it harsh. If you get your stuff dried and cured right, you should be able to open up a jar of it 9+ months later, see no color shift at all, and still have a decent smell and flavor.

The part I am skeptical of is flash drying in two or three days and getting it so dry it crumbles. I've tried it myself and was not impressed with the results. It is actually not a new idea to dry in that manner, people have been doing it since at least the 1970's as far as I know. However it was usually done in that manner for commercial not pharmaceutical reasons - the sooner the bud was dried, the sooner the next load could be harvested. In fact the first grow I worked on before I had my own scene going dried it in a manner similar to what Yara describes for the first season I was there. Not many people do it like that any more though because, well, the results just are not desirable compared to other methods. It totally kills the smell and flavor compared to a slower dry and cure, and getting it so dry it crumble will cause physical damage to the bud which results in lost trichs and a beat-up look. The people who I worked for that first season stopped doing the flash dry not long after I started there because they literally could not sell bud dried and cured that way - no one wanted it, even at half price (plus the genetics and trim job were terrible so it wasn't JUST the bad cure). That being said it is definitely possible to dry and cure for too long - drying for 3 weeks will kill the smell and flavor just as much as drying in 2 days in my experience. There is a fine balance - both too fast and too long is bad for the buds.

A lot of it still comes down to personal preference though. I know people that do it differently that I do and still get good results. There is more that one way to skin a cat (or cure a bud).

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

My dehu's all create heat. Do I have the wrong ones? I've built an insulated closed airtight pine tongue and groove plank wall room. It's dark and dry. 30 plants take close to a week to dry with the 30 pint a day unit. I'm thinking 5k should do for the room. It's 3x8x8.

Heat is an essential part of the fast curing process. Cold temperature is counterproductive. The air temp that comes out of a dehumidifier is about 1 degree warmer than the air that comes in due to air flow over the compressor. So 3 or 4 DHs in a small properly sealed bedroom can quickly raise the temps to an optimal 95+ F. But if you live somewhere very cold you may need to put an oil heater and extra fans in the room to kick things along. I have done this before and it works fine. Avoid bar heaters or anything that could start a fire. Heat alone does not destroy cannabinoids unless they are subject to pyrolytic temps.

Heat increases the rate that chemical reactions take place. Heat will increase oxidative degradation in the presence of air. That said, consider the small amount of damage done in 3 days at 95 F, compared to the extensive oxidation that will occur over 3 weeks at room temp. Heat may increase the loss of some low molecular weight volatiles (volatiles are compounds than may impart various flavours), such as mono and sesquiterpenes, but these are not believed to have any medicinal significance, and certainly no psychoactive significance. On the flipside, fast curing retains many other volatile species that are depleted during slow curing. Heat and water also act synergistically to facilitate enzymatic activity and microbial growth, both typically being degradative processes. The initial heat ‘flash’ of the first 48hrs of fast curing is therefore implemented to mitigate this issue, nipping the problem in the bud - excuse the pun.

Your primary concern is to remove as much moisture from the freshly harvested buds as quickly and efficiently as possible. Then allow the buds to rehydrate just enough so they can be handled to be put into storage. If they are going straight to the customer they may need to be rehydrated further - but that depends on your customer.

In storage, I strongly recommend using a desiccant (standard practice for pharmaceuticals, weed is no different), drop the temps (eg. freezer) if the buds are in bags or containers with normal air. If storing in N gas, then temperature is not so much of an issue, as the vast majority of oxidative processes that can take place have been circumvented. Photooxidation can still occur so always keep out of light - even ambient light.

People are always reluctant to accept paradigm shifts, but this is actually old science and the methodology of fast curing was refined eons ago by the tobacco industry. Since then many other medicinal or agricultural herb producers have adopted the same practice for the same reasons. Not surprisingly, cannaculture has been slow to catch up. Now that weed has become a pharmaceutical commodity all that is about to change - because when billions of dollars are on the line people tend to take the science much more seriously.

Sounds very interesting, my issue would be low RH. Here in colorado at 5400ft. were very surprised to see 10% humidity, ever. So when you say 're humidify by opening to the ambient RH' i freak out because my stuff would dry to dust if i did that,...i would love a fast cure method that took a low Rh into concederation~ I was an oldschool slow cure, dark in glass sometimes for a few months always epic smooth and far more psychoactive than the young herb~ But the market dictates and it says ' lets go now' all day long here. i would Love any feed back or ideas for a low RH quick cure for flavor.......?

Dried weed is relatively hydroscopic due to the micro topography and chemical composition of its surfaces. So even in a dry climate buds will absorb moisture from the air. In highly arid conditions, partial rehydration of properly desiccated weed might take a few days or even week longer, but remember the RH inside our homes is considerably higher than the desert, ie. water vapor comes from our bodies, the kitchen, bathroom etc. The desiccated state that the buds will be in after 3-4 days of fast curing is actually chemically and biologically optimal for storage, but unfortunately, impractical for handling.

That said, I've never had to personally dea with 10% RH. In theory, what I said should be correct, but you'll just have to try and see how it works for you. You can buy humifiers to up RH if you had to.

BTW if the RH in your house was actually a constant 10% your skin and mucous membranes would succumb to a multitude of medical problems.

OK so let me get this straight. You don't flush...you dry it fast and til it crumbles, then rehydrate it. Are you even really a grower? Out of all the posts I've seen from you I haven't seen one single pic of anything you've grown that would imply you have a clue that you know what you're doing. Lots of people can write shit and sound smart, but this is a grow site, not a popular science, or who's the smartest site. MGG

LOL. Yes, I'm a grower. :) You're right, I haven't posted pics, nor am I likely to. Is that really a prerequisite for being an active member on this site, or to know what I'm doing? I expect that I'll cop some flak seeing as I'm calling out convention, that's fairly standard. I suggest you try to approach things with an open mind. If that's impossible, then at least allow others to. Sure, this is a grow site, but everything we do and everything it entails is based in science. Understanding that science can only help. Sticking religiously to old ideas based on flawed understandings of the science behind them, or half-baked stoner conventions, will not.

YS

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Pretty sure he is serious. Much of the info in the original post is accurate. Some of the info, I am a little skeptical of however.

Burping is indeed totally and utterly pointless. If you cure and dry your bud properly the first time, it does not need to be done. If you have to burp, your buds are too wet and all you are doing is exposing the buds to air and fucking up your cure. Not getting your buds dry enough is one of the biggest mistakes I see people make, even experienced growers. Leaving too much moisture in the buds will cause them to turn brown after a while, and ruin the smell and flavor and make it harsh. If you get your stuff dried and cured right, you should be able to open up a jar of it 9+ months later, see no color shift at all, and still have a decent smell and flavor.

The part I am skeptical of is flash drying in two or three days and getting it so dry it crumbles. I've tried it myself and was not impressed with the results. It is actually not a new idea to dry in that manner, people have been doing it since at least the 1970's as far as I know. However it was usually done in that manner for commercial not pharmaceutical reasons - the sooner the bud was dried, the sooner the next load could be harvested. In fact the first grow I worked on before I had my own scene going dried it in a manner similar to what Yara describes for the first season I was there. Not many people do it like that any more though because, well, the results just are not desirable compared to other methods. It totally kills the smell and flavor compared to a slower dry and cure, and getting it so dry it crumble will cause physical damage to the bud which results in lost trichs and a beat-up look. The people who I worked for that first season stopped doing the flash dry not long after I started there because they literally could not sell bud dried and cured that way - no one wanted it, even at half price (plus the genetics and trim job were terrible so it wasn't JUST the bad cure). That being said it is definitely possible to dry and cure for too long - drying for 3 weeks will kill the smell and flavor just as much as drying in 2 days in my experience. There is a fine balance - both too fast and too long is bad for the buds.

A lot of it still comes down to personal preference though. I know people that do it differently that I do and still get good results. There is more that one way to skin a cat (or cure a bud).
Thanks for setting me straight Blaze :)
Hugelike

Heat is an essential part of the fast curing process. Cold temperature is counterproductive. The air temp that comes out of a dehumidifier is about 1 degree warmer than the air that comes in due to air flow over the compressor. So 3 or 4 DHs in a small properly sealed bedroom can quickly raise the temps to an optimal 95+ F. But if you live somewhere very cold you may need to put an oil heater and extra fans in the room to kick things along. I have done this before and it works fine. Avoid bar heaters or anything that could start a fire. Heat alone does not destroy cannabinoids unless they are subject to pyrolytic temps.

Heat increases the rate that chemical reactions take place. Heat will increase oxidative degradation in the presence of air. That said, consider the small amount of damage done in 3 days at 95 F, compared to the extensive oxidation that will occur over 3 weeks at room temp. Heat may increase the loss of some low molecular weight volatiles (volatiles are compounds than may impart various flavours), such as mono and sesquiterpenes, but these are not believed to have any medicinal significance, and certainly no psychoactive significance. On the flipside, fast curing retains many other volatile species that are depleted during slow curing. Heat and water also act synergistically to facilitate enzymatic activity and microbial growth, both typically being degradative processes. The initial heat ‘flash’ of the first 48hrs of fast curing is therefore implemented to mitigate this issue, nipping the problem in the bud - excuse the pun.

Your primary concern is to remove as much moisture from the freshly harvested buds as quickly and efficiently as possible. Then allow the buds to rehydrate just enough so they can be handled to be put into storage. If they are going straight to the customer they may need to be rehydrated further - but that depends on your customer.

In storage, I strongly recommend using a desiccant (standard practice for pharmaceuticals, weed is no different), drop the temps (eg. freezer) if the buds are in bags or containers with normal air. If storing in N gas, then temperature is not so much of an issue, as the vast majority of oxidative processes that can take place have been circumvented. Photooxidation can still occur so always keep out of light - even ambient light.

People are always reluctant to accept paradigm shifts, but this is actually old science and the methodology of fast curing was refined eons ago by the tobacco industry. Since then many other medicinal or agricultural herb producers have adopted the same practice for the same reasons. Not surprisingly, cannaculture has been slow to catch up. Now that weed has become a pharmaceutical commodity all that is about to change - because when billions of dollars are on the line people tend to take the science much more seriously.

Dried weed is relatively hydroscopic due to the micro topography and chemical composition of its surfaces. So even in a dry climate buds will absorb moisture from the air. In highly arid conditions, partial rehydration of properly desiccated weed might take a few days or even week longer, but remember the RH inside our homes is considerably higher than the desert, ie. water vapor comes from our bodies, the kitchen, bathroom etc. The desiccated state that the buds will be in after 3-4 days of fast curing is actually chemically and biologically optimal for storage, but unfortunately, impractical for handling.

That said, I've never had to personally dea with 10% RH. In theory, what I said should be correct, but you'll just have to try and see how it works for you. You can buy humifiers to up RH if you had to.

BTW if the RH in your house was actually a constant 10% your skin and mucous membranes would succumb to a multitude of medical problems.

LOL. Yes, I'm a grower. :) You're right, I haven't posted pics, nor am I likely to. Is that really a prerequisite for being an active member on this site, or to know what I'm doing? I expect that I'll cop some flak seeing as I'm calling out convention, that's fairly standard. I suggest you try to approach things with an open mind. If that's impossible, then at least allow others to. Sure, this is a grow site, but everything we do and everything it entails is based in science. Understanding that science can only help. Sticking religiously to old ideas based on flawed understandings of the science behind them, or half-baked stoner conventions, will not.

YS
Sorry for trolling your thread!
Thanks for Posting it!
Hugelike

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

YS
I base mine on growing top shelf herb for over 20 years and the feedback I've gotten from others when its passed around the circle. And I stick to old techniques because they work. I have over the years changed things in my grow when I felt they made sense and tested them to find they actually worked. As someone else said, I've fast dried herb and overdried herb, then tried to rehydrate it and it to tasted like shit. Thats not what I'm looking for after spending several months growing em out. I've got plenty of cured herb, no need to rush the process as far as I'm concerned.

You feed til the day you chop then fast dry it til it crumbles only to rehydrate it. I can only imagine what that shit tastes like. You say to keep an open mind then down on ideas and ways that have been tried and true for ages. Like I said, if you're looking to win an award for sounding really smart you got it, but this aint rocket science.

Nah pics aren't a pre-requisite but since your grows and buds are obviously superior to all of us other half baked stoners I thought you'd want to show us what real top shelf herb looks like. MGG

way2green

way2green

The rehydrating is what really concerns me. If the weed is already crumbling it would seem rehydrating is continuing to break down flavors and quality. We all know how shitty rehydrated food tastes and the lack of satisfaction it brings while consuming it.

SunGrown

SunGrown

when I do mine, which is basically the way described here, and a hundred other guys I know as well do it this way....

we really only get ours down to about 25%. (that is a straight up guess, but yes there is a fine line between too dry and just right to vault up, that fine line is learned with experience.)Then into the vittle vaults sealed tight then bagged up as needed or if needed. My product is never crumbly, it has a nice squishy texture when removed from the vaults that it is supposed to have. Every once in a while the herb was binned up too late and then and only then really do you need to rehydrate it, and that is easy and does zero harm IMO.

The patients that get the product have never once complained, in fact they stick with us due to the quality and reliability of our products.

The guys calling bullshit on this simply have not done it, or do not have the volume to make reason or sense of it.

And I am not saying anyone elses way is shitty or that their product is shitty, and I didnt hear yarra say that to anyone either.

if you know of volume production guys putting their stuff in mason jars and actually "burping" thousands of jars for months, more power to em. But I have never seen anyone on a larger scale use glass jars for anything other than mixing nutes or storing their own personal herbs. (I mean 1/4 units or less)

This is Yarras thread, I just felt like at least one of us farmers should acknowledge how larger crops are processed and show him not everyone is just going to talk shit to him.

If somehow you guys don't like yarra or his info then simply ignore it, getting all ego hurt and /or butt hurt just builds cancer cells, jeez

That is all I will add to this one.

Last edited:
T

toquer

I'm open to trying this. We trim dry though so this may be more work. My process...
5 lbs every other week.
30 to 36 girls come down whole and get hung in the wood plank room. Dehu turned on and controlled by temp. As I thought colder was better for drying. Once down to 45% in the room they get trimmed and either tossed on a screen to dry further or go into a 3 gallon bucket with a gamma lid. Depends on moisture. They stay in there until ready for sale. Bucket only opened in mid afternoon at the driest part of the day.
YS how could I adjust this?
Would I need to trim wet and leave on branches and then hang?
Thinking of pulling vacuum on 3 gal buckets too.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

when I do mine, which is basically the way described here, and a hundred other guys I know as well do it this way....

we really only get ours down to about 25%. (that is a straight up guess, but yes there is a fine line between too dry and just right to vault up, that fine line is learned with experience.)Then into the vittle vaults sealed tight then bagged up as needed or if needed. My product is never crumbly, it has a nice squishy texture when removed from the vaults that it is supposed to have. Every once in a while the herb was binned up too late and then and only then really do you need to rehydrate it, and that is easy and does zero harm IMO.

The patients that get the product have never once complained, in fact they stick with us due to the quality and reliability of our products.

The guys calling bullshit on this simply have not done it, or do not have the volume to make reason or sense of it.

And I am not saying anyone elses way is shitty or that their product is shitty, and I didnt hear yarra say that to anyone either.

if you know of volume production guys putting their stuff in mason jars and actually "burping" thousands of jars for months, more power to em. But I have never seen anyone on a larger scale use glass jars for anything other than mixing nutes or storing their own personal herbs. (I mean 1/4 units or less)

This is Yarras thread, I just felt like at least one of us farmers should acknowledge how larger crops are processed and show him not everyone is just going to talk shit to him.

If somehow you guys don't like yarra or his info then simply ignore it, getting all ego hurt and /or butt hurt just builds cancer cells, jeez

That is all I will add to this one.

Well first off let me say that I don't think anyone is "butthurt" lol. I really could not care less how Yarra flushes, or doesn't flush or drys his herb til its dust. I will call BS if I think I hear it.

You talk about production and Mason jars. I, for one, don't remember ever saying I use Mason jars. I actually use the biggest C-Vaults they make...and bunches of em. My comments were not aimed at his comment that Mason jars would be cumbersome and time consuming for a large scale grower, I would agree with that all day long. Rather, my comments were aimed at the whole idea of pumping full strength nutes all the way til harvest, then drying your shit out in 2 days time til it crumbles and THEN rehydrate it lmao. That is what hes preaching and that was what I was commenting on, nothing more. MGG

Last edited:
SunGrown

SunGrown

fair enough

and to be fair again, I was not only referring to your comments so if I offended you in any way I will apologize right now.

I think everyone has a valid opinion here. I guess I personally wish conversations like this could stay civil for the benefit of the many who will come across it. Instead these discussions often cause emotional replies.

Unless you are making concentrates you would never want to get your flowers crumbly before binning. I bet we all agree on that, no matter what "Bin" you store in.

I am not familiar with the c-vault, but I will look into it. I don't get out much!

I have used the vittle vault dog food bins for years, they sell them at costco for $20 and they stack nicely and work pretty damn well

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

I base mine on growing top shelf herb for over 20 years and the feedback I've gotten from others when its passed around the circle. And I stick to old techniques because they work. I have over the years changed things in my grow when I felt they made sense and tested them to find they actually worked. As someone else said, I've fast dried herb and overdried herb, then tried to rehydrate it and it to tasted like shit. Thats not what I'm looking for after spending several months growing em out. I've got plenty of cured herb, no need to rush the process as far as I'm concerned.

You feed til the day you chop then fast dry it til it crumbles only to rehydrate it. I can only imagine what that shit tastes like. You say to keep an open mind then down on ideas and ways that have been tried and true for ages. Like I said, if you're looking to win an award for sounding really smart you got it, but this aint rocket science.

Nah pics aren't a pre-requisite but since your grows and buds are obviously superior to all of us other half baked stoners I thought you'd want to show us what real top shelf herb looks like. MGG

Then do what works for you bro, but feel free to leave the attitude at the door. :)

You're not the only person this forum who can claim to grow quality gear. I've never had a single customer or friend complain about my buds tasting shit or smoking harsh.

Yes, I say keep an open mind. You think I'm downing on convention? That's because I have an open mind. I looked objectively at the methods and approaches that have "been tried and true for ages" and found they do not hold up to scrutiny. I chose to inform myself of the science underlying the many aspects of this industry. And then I chose to share it here.

The method I've described can be modified according to preference. It works perfectly for me and should do the same for anyone else who cares to try it. But if it doesn't, then tinker with it. But what won't change is the science underpinning why a fast cure is preferable to a slow cure. No, this isn't rocket science, but it is science. Cultivation, curing, extraction - they are all based on a foundation of science. Why you would choose to adhere to pseudoscience instead of verifiable facts is beyond me, but don't let me tell you how to live your life. As I said, if you're happy with the way you do things, then stick to them. But understand that you will experience a loss of potency as a result. If you just grow for yourself and friends, then maybe that doesn't matter. If you're growing commercially, then quality and a high degree of efficacy is paramount. I see no reason to grow quality meds only to lose a significant portion of the actives in the curing process. I prefer not to throw money down the drain.

The rehydrating is what really concerns me. If the weed is already crumbling it would seem rehydrating is continuing to break down flavors and quality. We all know how shitty rehydrated food tastes and the lack of satisfaction it brings while consuming it.

I've explained how and why flavor and quality is not lost with this method. If you're interested in keeping maximal potency post-harvest, then give fast curing a go. It doesn't come as a cost to flavor as MGG would have you believe.

@SunGrown, thanks for the support and for posting your own experiences. :)

I'm open to trying this. We trim dry though so this may be more work. My process...
5 lbs every other week.
30 to 36 girls come down whole and get hung in the wood plank room. Dehu turned on and controlled by temp. As I thought colder was better for drying. Once down to 45% in the room they get trimmed and either tossed on a screen to dry further or go into a 3 gallon bucket with a gamma lid. Depends on moisture. They stay in there until ready for sale. Bucket only opened in mid afternoon at the driest part of the day.
YS how could I adjust this?
Would I need to trim wet and leave on branches and then hang?
Thinking of pulling vacuum on 3 gal buckets too.

How long does it take for your buds to dry? Having heat in the room will speed up the drying process. The faster the better, as you are aiming to halt both oxidative and microbial degradation as quickly as possible.

Trimming wet will also facilitate a faster curing, as you're removing excess water-containing mass before you start the curing process.

YS

Supercharge

Supercharge

Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it. Good to see the dissemination of accurate info like this.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Then do what works for you bro, but feel free to leave the attitude at the door. :)

You're not the only person this forum who can claim to grow quality gear. I've never had a single customer or friend complain about my buds tasting shit or smoking harsh.

Yes, I say keep an open mind. You think I'm downing on convention? That's because I have an open mind. I looked objectively at the methods and approaches that have "been tried and true for ages" and found they do not hold up to scrutiny. I chose to inform myself of the science underlying the many aspects of this industry. And then I chose to share it here.

The method I've described can be modified according to preference. It works perfectly for me and should do the same for anyone else who cares to try it. But if it doesn't, then tinker with it. But what won't change is the science underpinning why a fast cure is preferable to a slow cure. No, this isn't rocket science, but it is science. Cultivation, curing, extraction - they are all based on a foundation of science. Why you would choose to adhere to pseudoscience instead of verifiable facts is beyond me, but don't let me tell you how to live your life. As I said, if you're happy with the way you do things, then stick to them. But understand that you will experience a loss of potency as a result. If you just grow for yourself and friends, then maybe that doesn't matter. If you're growing commercially, then quality and a high degree of efficacy is paramount. I see no reason to grow quality meds only to lose a significant portion of the actives in the curing process. I prefer not to throw money down the drain.

YS
Believe me I know there are lots of great growers here at the Farm. I see their work all the time.

I choose to adhere to "pseudoscience" because my own experience is verifiable enough for me. Again I have had my herb dry too fast and left it hanging too long and it became dried to a crumble as you like yours and compared to my normal routine it sucked...simple as that. I had typed a much bigger response but at this point theres no need. MGG

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
fair enough
I guess I personally wish conversations like this could stay civil for the benefit of the many who will come across it. Instead these discussions often cause emotional replies.

Unless you are making concentrates you would never want to get your flowers crumbly before binning. I bet we all agree on that, no matter what "Bin" you store in.
Hey Bro You know we are buds!..And I agree!
Im "just sayin",
Yarra wrote "dry till crumbly" :rolleyes:

So, he doesnt agree ;)

way2green

way2green

I understand the fast cure as I too have to use dehumidifiers because of the extreme humidity in my area.. I also believe that Thc potencies are preserved with this method.
I guesss I was speaking more about crumbly weed being rehydrated. I guess I didnt fully explain my concerns.

My weed now dries in 3-4 days vs 10-14 days likei it did 15 years ago. I don't believe I have lost any quality or flavor and I damn sure don't hear any complaints about it.
I was only expressing concern about rehydrating crumbly weed. I will promise u that I am not gonna intentionally try to find out! Lol

Blaze

Blaze

Yup! I honestly do not know a single professional grower that 'burps'. It is very much a 'forum thing' in my experience.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Hey Bro You know we are buds!..So, Im "just sayin",
Yarra wrote "dry till crumbly"

So, he doesnt agree ;)
of course my friend! You kiddin

I would like yarra to explain what he means by crumbly.

It could mean that the outter edges of the flowers (leaf tips) are crumbly...thats what it means for me.

I looked up those cvaults and they are nice, but really small for their price point. The food bins I use are food grade and airtight, big and cheap. The gamma lids are awesome too, you can get those at depot now too and at winco with food grade buckets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom