A detailed explanation of why fast curing buds in preferable to slow curing.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Heat is an essential part of the fast curing process. Cold temperature is counterproductive. The air temp that comes out of a dehumidifier is about 1 degree warmer than the air that comes in due to air flow over the compressor. So 3 or 4 DHs in a small properly sealed bedroom can quickly raise the temps to an optimal 95+ F. But if you live somewhere very cold you may need to put an oil heater and extra fans in the room to kick things along. I have done this before and it works fine. Avoid bar heaters or anything that could start a fire. Heat alone does not destroy cannabinoids unless they are subject to pyrolytic temps.

Heat increases the rate that chemical reactions take place. Heat will increase oxidative degradation in the presence of air. That said, consider the small amount of damage done in 3 days at 95 F, compared to the extensive oxidation that will occur over 3 weeks at room temp. Heat may increase the loss of some low molecular weight volatiles (volatiles are compounds than may impart various flavours), such as mono and sesquiterpenes, but these are not believed to have any medicinal significance, and certainly no psychoactive significance. On the flipside, fast curing retains many other volatile species that are depleted during slow curing. Heat and water also act synergistically to facilitate enzymatic activity and microbial growth, both typically being degradative processes. The initial heat ‘flash’ of the first 48hrs of fast curing is therefore implemented to mitigate this issue, nipping the problem in the bud - excuse the pun.

Your primary concern is to remove as much moisture from the freshly harvested buds as quickly and efficiently as possible. Then allow the buds to rehydrate just enough so they can be handled to be put into storage. If they are going straight to the customer they may need to be rehydrated further - but that depends on your customer.

In storage, I strongly recommend using a desiccant (standard practice for pharmaceuticals, weed is no different), drop the temps (eg. freezer) if the buds are in bags or containers with normal air. If storing in N gas, then temperature is not so much of an issue, as the vast majority of oxidative processes that can take place have been circumvented. Photooxidation can still occur so always keep out of light - even ambient light.

People are always reluctant to accept paradigm shifts, but this is actually old science and the methodology of fast curing was refined eons ago by the tobacco industry. Since then many other medicinal or agricultural herb producers have adopted the same practice for the same reasons. Not surprisingly, cannaculture has been slow to catch up. Now that weed has become a pharmaceutical commodity all that is about to change - because when billions of dollars are on the line people tend to take the science much more seriously.

Dried weed is relatively hydroscopic due to the micro topography and chemical composition of its surfaces. So even in a dry climate buds will absorb moisture from the air. In highly arid conditions, partial rehydration of properly desiccated weed might take a few days or even week longer, but remember the RH inside our homes is considerably higher than the desert, ie. water vapor comes from our bodies, the kitchen, bathroom etc. The desiccated state that the buds will be in after 3-4 days of fast curing is actually chemically and biologically optimal for storage, but unfortunately, impractical for handling.

That said, I've never had to personally dea with 10% RH. In theory, what I said should be correct, but you'll just have to try and see how it works for you. You can buy humifiers to up RH if you had to.

BTW if the RH in your house was actually a constant 10% your skin and mucous membranes would succumb to a multitude of medical problems.

LOL. Yes, I'm a grower. :) You're right, I haven't posted pics, nor am I likely to. Is that really a prerequisite for being an active member on this site, or to know what I'm doing? I expect that I'll cop some flak seeing as I'm calling out convention, that's fairly standard. I suggest you try to approach things with an open mind. If that's impossible, then at least allow others to. Sure, this is a grow site, but everything we do and everything it entails is based in science. Understanding that science can only help. Sticking religiously to old ideas based on flawed understandings of the science behind them, or half-baked stoner conventions, will not.

YS

to be honest it's your dismissive attitude that makes me question if you could even process negative feedback about your product, let alone make the best decision. I have and do live about a mile and a half high up, it's pretty low for me I used to grow above 12,000ft. as for physical issues, yes they abound, 85% of the population gets kidney stones and the like,....think American Sherpa and your getting close.

glad it works for you, its not universal or even something you have a mastery of,....... sorry if it were you could execute it in a sealed room and give out the numbers, and repeat the results at will, this is all I asked you to comment on, not my potential exposure to health issues,.......so yes in pretty much laughing at your advice.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I understand the fast cure as I too have to use dehumidifiers because of the extreme humidity in my area.. I also believe that Thc potencies are preserved with this method.
I guesss I was speaking more about crumbly weed being rehydrated. I guess I didnt fully explain my concerns.

My weed now dries in 3-4 days vs 10-14 days likei it did 15 years ago. I don't believe I have lost any quality or flavor and I damn sure don't hear any complaints about it.
I was only expressing concern about rehydrating crumbly weed. I will promise u that I am not gonna intentionally try to find out! Lol

I use dehumids too when nec. and most of mine is usually dry within 6-7 days. But 2 days is just too fast and drying til it crumbles then rehydrating is just nonsense IMO. MGG

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
of course my friend! You kiddin

I would like yarra to explain what he means by crumbly.

It could mean that the outter edges of the flowers (leaf tips) are crumbly...thats what it means for me.
Opps:confused:...You could be right,..I didnt even think of that..

way2green

way2green

Yeh Mgg
I have read where some peeps cure in 24-36 hours. I don't know how to pull that off.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
food grade buckets?, and burp em as much as you would glass jars?
I still new at this..and nobody here cares how i do it..but,
yeah, food grade or lined with a turkey bag..
I dry 7 days in the dark and its ready to smoke. and I smoke it.. So i really dont burp..just check on it, till I think its safe to tie the knot in the turkey bag.
It cures in the turkey bag till its smoked :) thanks for askin

way2green

way2green

I think u guys should increase the amount of Gas X you give your ladies. It is rare that my weed burps. Ken have you tried the new "gas free" turkey bags. Work well for beginner burpers.....
Hahaha. Keep up. I will be coming to a town neary you!!!!!!!!!!

LordVane

LordVane

Hi YarraSparra. I have had a careful read of what you have posted on this thread and subsequently have spent all evening doing some background reading. I’m a little rusty on the science as it’s been a while since I’ve needed to exercise that part of my brain hehe. Either you’re very well read or have some serious experience in the field. Would love to see some pictures of your ops one day. You have clearly put some time into starting the thread and I wholeheartedly thank you for doing this. Hope you are not put off by negative comments because there are a lot of people here that sincerely do appreciate your input on this forum. The effort has not gone unnoticed.

dabs4life

dabs4life

the faster the cure, the faster the moisture is being removed, the more terps you loose. congrats for having patience during the grow to rush and decrease quality thus undoing all that patience. kinda like tits with no nipples

zeKemyst

zeKemyst

Well I can’t comment on the science as I have no idea. But I am happy to know there is a tried and tested technique of getting gear exit ready ASAP, I hate having the shit lying around. Would you recommend using a carbon filter in the dry room to scrub smell? I understand the room is sealed to lock in warm dry air, so I mean just having the filter in there with the fan to reduce doors leaking out the room?

Joshy

Joshy

Man, that is one hell of post! Highly informative, many thanks for the stellar effort.

neverbreak

neverbreak

hell yeah, nice work bro! massive props on takin the time to write that up. i’d be way too lazy to write something that long lol. don’t let the haters n negativity get to ya bro, people don’t like bein told they’re wrong, but that doesn’t mean what yer sayin isn’t worthwhile or accurate. ya clearly know ya shit. evidence based rationale for the shiz! i agree that a properly done fast cure shouldn't affect taste or quality but different stroke for different folks n all that. keep up the good work bro.

neverbreak

DragonKilla

DragonKilla

Thank you for sharing your method Yarra.

IMO it can only be a good thing for people to share different methods and perspectives; that's how progress is made.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thank you for sharing your method Yarra.

IMO it can only be a good thing for people to share different methods and perspectives; that's how progress is made.
Way too many ridiculous claims like this floating around...... .
I respect DJ Short for what's done, but don't take his word as gospel.
;) lol

I agree :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom