A Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt feed question

• Thread starter Glassdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Glassdub

Glassdub

Since I've pretty much have lost all confidence in the ratios given on the Dyna-Gro feed chart I would like to ask if its best to axe Pro-TeKt from feeding in the last 2-3 weeks of flowering?
Planning to harvest about the 20th & was going to feed once more in the AM before stopping feed until the end have been feeding 2.5ml a gal up to this point along with the rest.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I was just reading about people stopping pro-tekt after week four of flower and switching to other methods because of the way it raises the ph significantly
Well my water pH is unusually low at at max of 6 post Pro-TeKt so this wouldn't be an issue if not a reason to continue its use.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I used protect most of the way through flower with no problem. I have been using 5ml foliage pro and 2.5 ml protekt and 1 ml ph down to counter my well water gets too high ph. This is in pro mix hp.

i havent had a chance to really dial in with dyna grow yet. I only started using it last plants before i shut down.

R

redshift75

whats wrong with the ratios on the feed chart?

I run silica to the end. i stopped using protekt and switched to agsil this year. But have used protekt for years. I can use more for less $$$. Not really sure if i like it better than protekt. As it doesnt always break down and turns slimy if i dont shake the jug right away. But other then that its great. Reason you stop running it, is at a certain point you arent growing in veg, thus dont need the benefits. So indoors not needed as much to save $$$ - outdoors you gain potential stress related benefits. I dont really go off my water as much as my soil. So my silica whether it lowers ph or not is never really imbalanced in my soil. Since i switched to RO with dyna gro havent even used my PH up/down other then when i use molasses or fulvic or humic acid. Just cause that will drop my soil ph. So for me personally i dont really concern myself with the silica. I still have about 2 gallons of protekt and will randomly still throw it in.

So to that effect i love Dyna gro.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Since I've pretty much have lost all confidence in the ratios given on the Dyna-Gro feed chart I would like to ask if its best to axe Pro-TeKt from feeding in the last 2-3 weeks of flowering?
Planning to harvest about the 20th & was going to feed once more in the AM before stopping feed until the end have been feeding 2.5ml a gal up to this point along with the rest.

I use Pro-Tekt in veg and the first 3 weeks of flower. I do 60ml to 25gal of RO water and let it sit for at least an hour before mixing in anything else. Silica may make the buds hard in the jar if it’s used throughout flower. If you’ve ever had some bud that would break glass if you threw it hard enough, the grower probably ran silica until chop.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use Pro-Tekt in veg and the first 3 weeks of flower. I do 60ml to 25gal of RO water and let it sit for at least an hour before mixing in anything else. Silica may make the buds hard in the jar if it’s used throughout flower. If you’ve ever had some bud that would break glass if you threw it hard enough, the grower probably ran silica until chop.

Like any nutrient the strength should be tapered down as the plant finishes peak flowering and starts to ripen. I have not had any issues with the buds i have cured in jars so far.

Glassdub

Glassdub

whats wrong with the ratios on the feed chart?

I run silica to the end. i stopped using protekt and switched to agsil this year. But have used protekt for years. I can use more for less $$$. Not really sure if i like it better than protekt. As it doesnt always break down and turns slimy if i dont shake the jug right away. But other then that its great. Reason you stop running it, is at a certain point you arent growing in veg, thus dont need the benefits. So indoors not needed as much to save $$$ - outdoors you gain potential stress related benefits. I dont really go off my water as much as my soil. So my silica whether it lowers ph or not is never really imbalanced in my soil. Since i switched to RO with dyna gro havent even used my PH up/down other then when i use molasses or fulvic or humic acid. Just cause that will drop my soil ph. So for me personally i dont really concern myself with the silica. I still have about 2 gallons of protekt and will randomly still throw it in.

So to that effect i love Dyna gro.
If using Bloom the ratio of it to FP is backwards, I stopped using Bloom as things went downhill when I started using when I flipped & sent it back to Amazon, shortly after Dirtbag told me a 1 to 3 parts Bloom to FP works well, which might be the case but I think if I just stuck to straight FP I would have been better off as many have.
Also the doses are way too high, which seems to be a given with these charts which I think is stupid if they want to keep long term customers in favor of just using more product in the short term that could be lost.
Since I uppotted to fabric sacks I haven't been able to get run offs to test so I've been going blind, I think on 2nd run I'm going to move to 5 gal terracotta to resolve this.

Last edited:
Glassdub

Glassdub

I just mix it first & then mix the rest right after that I never heard of waiting that long before mixing in the rest.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I just mix it first & then mix the rest right after that I never heard of waiting that long before mixing in the rest.

I was the same. Do you get a fair amount of sediment in your res after a few days? Nutrients falling out of suspension? Allowing the silica to fully integrate into the water will reduce its reaction to other nutrients. Also, potassium silicate needs time to under go chemical changes in the water to become plant available. I was skeptical about waiting to but I tried it and it does have a beneficial effect on res health and plant growth.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I used protect most of the way through flower with no problem. I have been using 5ml foliage pro and 2.5 ml protekt and 1 ml ph down to counter my well water gets too high ph. This is in pro mix hp.

i havent had a chance to really dial in with dyna grow yet. I only started using it last plants before i shut down.
I was the same. Do you get a fair amount of sediment in your res after a few days? Nutrients falling out of suspension? Allowing the silica to fully integrate into the water will reduce its reaction to other nutrients. Also, potassium silicate needs time to under go chemical changes in the water to become plant available. I was skeptical about waiting to but I tried it and it does have a beneficial effect on res health and plant growth.
I don't let it set I just mix before watering, I don't have an opinion on setting an hour just never heard of it.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I have been using 4ml of FP with 1 ml of MP (that I wouldn't use if I was using tap) +2.5 ml PT, wanted to tapper but since the Bloom usage the N was defiant & never totally recovered on some plants so I've been kinda shy to cut it back + I haven't been really sure when to harvest so not sure how to time it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have been using 4ml of FP with 1 ml of MP (that I wouldn't use if I was using tap) +2.5 ml PT, wanted to tapper but since the Bloom usage the N was defiant & never totally recovered on some plants so I've been kinda shy to cut it back + I haven't been really sure when to harvest so not sure how to time it.

I forgot you are still on your learning curve. But you are on the right track. Trial and error is all we can do.

R

redshift75

are you sure it was N and not PK burn?

Glassdub

Glassdub

are you sure it was N and not PK burn?
Actually it was too little N (causing yellow leaves on most of the LSD plants), way too much P (due to stupid bad Bloom ratio) too little K causing tip burn on all, some more than others & maybe under-watering, that's what I think at this point anyway.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Or Paclo.. I've seen that shit make some literal rocks for buds.

I usually cut out silica at the end of bud growth phase before they start to swell. So the last 3 weeks or so I stop using it.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Or Paclo.. I've seen that shit make some literal rocks for buds.

I usually cut out silica at the end of bud growth phase before they start to swell. So the last 3 weeks or so I stop using it.
I cut back to 1ml on this water, buds seem ok I've had about half a dozen popcorn buds pop off my accident during watering (mostly if not all Gelato) over the last few weeks. I dried & vaped up seemed about as strong as the last script Citrus Farmer I bought & didn't taste much different, I was really surprised.

Top Bottom