A few basic questions about growing I prefer you guys answer...

• Thread starter TonyMac2020
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TonyMac2020

TonyMac2020

I've decided on 33" being my final plant size plus or minus 2". I'm currently at a bushy 11". I'm thinking 15" away from hps which leads to my first question. I started with a small grow lamp. When I read literature, they always explain as if you're adding the next graduation of light as opposed to totally switching e.g. mh then add hps. Since I'm at mh should I have left the small lamp (of course adjusting for intensity) on the plant as well? Mh and hps? Or a gradual deviation from old to new lamp? Is 15" too close with a vented single end 1000W under ideal temperatures and humidity?

A few basic questions about growing i prefer you guys answer
A few basic questions about growing i prefer you guys answer 2
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’d say it’s too close,
with a big difference in light intensity, have the light pretty high, as you gradually ease her into over a few days.,
but a brand new 1000 watt hps should be between 2-3 ft away.. closer to 3 ft.,
that is if i’m understanding your post correctly..

Kissing.mary

Kissing.mary

its all about trail an error but generally speaking the further away during veg is best

After all we wan the plant to stretch and strive for the light.....if there is more than enough light then the plant wont want to grow very big (why would it have to?)

When in full flower mode you can increase the intensity and lower the light.... but until them she dont need it ...

With Humidity and temperature,,, they are relative to each other so it doesn't really matter what the temperature or humidity is as long as they complement each other..

As long as your temp and humidity values fall within the green zone then photosynthesis is running optimally

Gmpvpd

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

its all about trail an error but generally speaking the further away during veg is best

After all we wan the plant to stretch and strive for the light.....if there is more than enough light then the plant wont want to grow very big (why would it have to?)

When in full flower mode you can increase the intensity and lower the light.... but until them she dont need it ...

With Humidity and temperature,,, they are relative to each other so it doesn't really matter what the temperature or humidity is as long as they complement each other..

As long as your temp and humidity values fall within the green zone then photosynthesis is running optimally

View attachment 1120719
The further away the better in veg? Bad advice. Stretch for light is weak growth with poor node spacing. They stretch enough in flower.

High.and.grow

High.and.grow

Wenn ich Literatur lese, erklären sie immer, als würden Sie die nächste Lichtstufe hinzufügen, anstatt vollständig zu wechseln, z. B. mh, und dann hps hinzufügen.
mh hat viel blaues Licht. Dies bedeutet die Intervalle zwischen den Indernodes kurz. Natriumdampflampe hat viel rotes Licht, war zu einer Dehnung der Indernodes gehört. Wenn Sie direkt von mh auf hps beziehen und die Lichtphase verkürzen, wird dies zu einer wilden Stretching-Party in schönen Zimmer. wo die Verantwortlichen in der Lichte der Lampe sind und die schönen Triebe weit davon entfernt sind sind.

Wenn ich ein Buchautor wäre, würde ich solche Prozesse so vage wie möglich schreiben.

In der Realität ist es jedoch besser, das Licht an die Sorte und die Anbaumethode anzupassen.

Es kann besser sein, die ersten 14 Tage nach dem Wechsel zur Blüte mit dem mh zu arbeiten und erst dann zu wechseln.

Wenn Sie Pflanzen mit kleinem buschigem Wachstum haben, ist es möglicherweise besser, die Lichtquelle zu wechseln, wenn Sie zur Blüte wechseln.

Wenn Sie mehrere Lampen hintereinander haben, können Sie natürlich etwas besser auf die verschiedenen Phänomene beeinflussen. Sie können die persönlichen Rechte schnell auf die gleichen Ebene ziehen.

Was ich sagen möchte ist, dass es keinen perfekten Zeitpunkt gibt, um Lampen zu tauschen, die verallgemeinert werden können. es unterscheidet sich von Sorte zu Sorte und Kultivierungsmethode zu Kultivierungsmethode.

Kissing.mary

Kissing.mary

The further away the better in veg? Bad advice. Stretch for light is weak growth with poor node spacing. They stretch enough in flower.
Yes , the chlorophyll molecules in partial sun are found to be much denser and abundant than plant in direct sunlight and therefore also produce more complex sugars and secondary metabolites to aid in growth and efficient photosynthesis.... it not all about intensity. there's a lot of growth and complex internal biochemistry goin on which the eyes cant see

plant need to gear up... the spring sun is further away via the earth tilt and is less intense than mid summer or autumnal sun....

TonyMac2020

TonyMac2020

i’d say it’s too close,
with a big difference in light intensity, have the light pretty high, as you gradually ease her into over a few days.,
but a brand new 1000 watt hps should be between 2-3 ft away.. closer to 3 ft.,
that is if i’m understanding your post correctly..
I moved my lights immediately after reading this. They're at 2 ft and I may go higher. I now know that "comfortable for hand" measure of light distance is total b.s.

View attachment 1120719
I wanted stretch without sounding toxic lol. Thanks for the scientific aspect.

TonyMac2020

TonyMac2020

She's looking happy. The water only soil watering is more about amount amount of water as opposed to ph seeing as I've used tap water that had sat out 24 hours and collected rain water the whole grow.

IMG 20210506 154746409
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I use a 1000w hps and its about air flow, I don't use a tent but I can keep them around18" - 2 ft away. My light hangs vertically with an umbrella reflector and as long as I have good air movement they can get pretty close. I use the back of my hand as a test if it's too hot for my hand and it feels like its being radiated ( roasted ) you're too close otherwise its fine. I have a lux meter and the numbers drop off rapidly the further you get from the light so I want to be in as close as possible without getting crispy leaves.

Once there out of the baby stage about 1month that is.....I use t5's until they're fully grown with daily ventures into the flower room 3ft - 4ft away for young plants. If I have the 1000w on for flowering and I have room I'll move the vegging girls into the flower room for 9 -10 -11 hrs a day.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I use a 1000w hps and its about air flow, I don't use a tent but I can keep them around18" - 2 ft away. My light hangs vertically with an umbrella reflector and as long as I have good air movement they can get pretty close. I use the back of my hand as a test if it's too hot for my hand and it feels like its being radiated ( roasted ) you're too close otherwise its fine. I have a lux meter and the numbers drop off rapidly the further you get from the light so I want to be in as close as possible without getting crispy leaves.

Once there out of the baby stage about 1month that is.....I use t5's until they're fully grown with daily ventures into the flower room 3ft - 4ft away for young plants. If I have the 1000w on for flowering and I have room I'll move the vegging girls into the flower room for 9 -10 -11 hrs a day.
i using a 1000 hps in a cool tube and i have it right now between 32-36 inches away at closest point..
i’ve just posted a video in my thread..

Latest posts

Top Bottom