A few questions for outdoor guru's

• Thread starter XxShibbyxX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X

XxShibbyxX

Hi everyone!

I'm gonna try my hand at outdoor next season so I figured I better get started on planning everything out.

I just got the land I need I have more than 15 acres so space isn't a problem but I was just wondering if there were any good threads to reference on what I need to pull off a good season?

It will be a legal grow of course :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Think about your security FIRST is my very best advice. After that, check out theloadeddragon's thread, and humboldtlocal's thread.

X

XxShibbyxX

Security isn't an issue with me. But regardless of how peaceful I feel growing meds should be I'm constantly aware of my surroundings (must be an army thing).

I've just finished humboldtlocals thread and theloadeddragons as well both were very helpful.

I saw the list of things they use but I'm not sure what the proper ratios would be for everything.

I think I saw you say you had a truckload hauled in for around 300? What exactly was it?

Basically I've decided I wanna mix up my own soil instead of buying the expensive pre mixed stuff so where could I find good recipies for a good mix?

Thanks for all the help seamaiden you've been a big help so far :)

liketosmoke

liketosmoke

15 acres ist that much land i had 80 acres, dogs can be a mans best friend and know your next door neighbours that just a few tips to start.

X

XxShibbyxX

15+ acres is huge dude.

80 is more but that's not the point.

I highly doubt id ever even use an 1/8 of my land for the grow so what does it matter that you had 80?

Sorry maybe I took your post the wrong way but I wasn't trying to see who's dick is bigger and who has (had in your case?) more land.

I'm pretty alone out there and there's a huge rod iron fence down at the bottom of a 1/2 mile driveway that no one can get through and unless someone wants to scale mountains they can't get to me unless they go through the gate.

Oh and i have 3 dogs :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Security isn't an issue with me. But regardless of how peaceful I feel growing meds should be I'm constantly aware of my surroundings (must be an army thing).

I've just finished humboldtlocals thread and theloadeddragons as well both were very helpful.

I saw the list of things they use but I'm not sure what the proper ratios would be for everything.

I think I saw you say you had a truckload hauled in for around 300? What exactly was it?

Basically I've decided I wanna mix up my own soil instead of buying the expensive pre mixed stuff so where could I find good recipies for a good mix?

Thanks for all the help seamaiden you've been a big help so far :)
Local fellow who has a gravel & soil/compost business mixes up his own topsoil. Uses a good bit of compost, little bit of sand, a few BBs (I think someone does target practice out there), but I don't really know what else.

I'd start off looking at topsoil, see if you like the feel of it. Amend it with good compost, again, check it out before you buy it, maybe around 30%.
Add approximately 1 bag of Harvest Supreme/cubic yard of dirt, this will be your source of mycos.

Then, you need the goodies.

• Kelp meal
  • Bone meal
  • Blood meal
  • Greensand (or its equivalent)
  • A little bit o' azomite (for micros)
  • Dolomitic lime
  • Alfalfa hay (turn it under the dirt), I prefer the sweepings to using good hay
  • Guano, both high N and high P/K, OR use a premixed fert formula, like Dr. Earth Organic series, now manufactured by Gardener & Bloome (that's ok, they make Harvest Supreme)
The rest of my notes are downstairs, so I can't quite remember what else I put in my planter. I think I may have added some silicate sand, and that may have been as much an exercise as anything truly productive.

As for the amount of land, all I can say is you can have a plot that's a thousand acres, and if someone's of a mind to pinch you, they *are* going to try. Dogs are a good start, so are cameras.

liketosmoke

liketosmoke

XxshibbyxX
I did not mean to seam like i had lots of land, and 15 acres can be more protected than 80, good to hear you have dogs and best of karma to you.
peace LTS

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
my 2 cents bro are dont ever get complacent, lasttime i thought i had shit under wraps i ended up with a .45 in my face and lost 2 1/2 elbows 3k dollars a 1500$ English bulldog and some other shit, since then security like seamaiden said is going to be your best bet...... the best defence has nothing without a tight offence i would invest equally as much in security as i would dirt and nutes. peace of mind pays for itself. and at the end of harvest so will what ever you spent on your security will pay for it self because you still have something to harvest besides bodys

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
When I got started, got a successful grow under my belt, I thought since we have a little acreage I would do some growing down on the ground. I figured since NO ONE could see what I had going on except from two locations--the garden itself and a retired, part-timer neighbor's place, I would be golden, no worries. I figured since this is a very small neighborhood, one way in/one way out through a private drive, I'd be ok with no worries.

It took less than a *week* for some fucking tweaker gits to rip off my 2' tall BABIES that I'd just put into the ground. They were BABIES. After that, I know I am nothing resembling safe. I also know how useless my dog is. I need a good Rottie again.

X

XxShibbyxX

Lts- it's all good man I don't wanna seem like a dick either. It's hard to be able to truly understand someones emotions through the internet or text. Best of karma to you to bro.

Norcal- that sucks to hear man. I will keep that in mind. I'm not a fortress and anyone can just walk right onto the land so maybe it's time to upgrade camera systems lol. Besides the bad ass cameras I think I'm good on every other aspect.

Seamaiden- thanks much for that info on soil I'm gonna start my homework on the local ag companies out here since there's quite a few around. This is gonna be fun I can't wait to perfect my mix :)

As for the tweakers that got you I'm sorry that happened they will get what's coming to them in the worst way. Karma never fails :)

Blaze

Blaze

Don't forget about the most important element: water. Make sure you have plenty of it, and get it tested before you invest into a grow. Also make sure you get the ag test, not the drinking water test, they are different. Some elements, like boron, can be ingested safely by humans at high ppms, but will be toxic to plants.

As for soil amendment, everyone has their own mix so you will get a lot of different answers on that one. To cut costs call around and see if you can find a soil company in your area that can deliver truck loads. It is FAR cheaper buying it in bulk than in bags. This last year I bought a truckload of organic gardening soil for my plants and then tilled in some additional amendments. At $45 a yard it was no more expensive than if I mixed it myself, and it saved a lot of time.

My mix this year was an organic gardening mix made made from horse and cow manure, grape and apple pomace, rice hulls, straw, soft rock phosphate, greensand, ¼” red fir bark, sandy loam soil, crushed lava rock and a little soil sulfur. We also tilled in some additions of our own – more rice hulls, earth worm castings, and some of NCGA’s “organic magic mix” which contains myccorhizae as well as range of micro and macro nutrients that the plants will need in these first few weeks. If growing in soil be sure to use myccorhizae -they make a huge difference.

It worked well and had excellent drainage and aeration, but it could have been hotter and it was a bit low in Calcium I think. I may try a bit of guano this next year to make it hotter, and add more lime or oyster shell to increase the Calcium. On a side note - do not use gypsum for your Calcium source. It is NOT in a form available to plants and will NOT provide them with Calcium. Like I was saying though everyone has a different mix and I don't claim mine to be the best, but it did work pretty good and it was very cheap.

My other advice would be to grow either in large smart pots (like 300 gallon) or raised beds. Both increase drainage and aeration and will help your plants grow faster. Also pick a spots that gets as much sun as possible. You cannot have too much solar exposure when growing outside. Having plenty of sunlight is one of the biggest factors for both yield and quality when growing outside.

X

XxShibbyxX

Thanks blaze there's alot of good info there!

I'll check on getting that water test first thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom