a few thoughts on trimming back canopy

• Thread starter AirHammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AirHammer

AirHammer

Earlier on, during veg on into the first half or 2/3 of flowering I seldom trim canopy leaves. Not for light not for anything, not on healthy plants.

I will trim after about the first half of flowering. Again it has nothing to do with adding light to shaded flowers.

With the combined wind rain and wet weight of those heavy fan leaves adds up quick with an 11 + foot tall plant. not to mention the accumulating weight of all the growing buds stacks up quick. the limbs don't stand a chance, even with a healthy plant, supplemented with silica throughout grow.

Not only that the leaves that are breaking down become more and more susceptible to mold and mildew.

So I get rid of them.

A few thoughts on trimming back canopy
AirHammer

AirHammer

Theres no shortage of reasons why trimming is a good idea in these later stages.

But my favorite reason of all is, the visuals start looking better and better.

Whaaaat, are those 2 foot colas forming on there?

Why yes, yes they are. Yo, that **** is crazy bro =) ;) (I love it outdoors). And compared to indoor potency doesnt compare.

To stay serious. This is day 48, there is no room for cockiness. Because anything can still go wrong. And its more likely to. Besides, the plant did most if not all of the work. I merely feed them well and maintain PH.

But here's hopin' they fill in all the way x.

20220921 144016
AirHammer

AirHammer

The leaves sure add up. The plant was starting to droop. As I cut away each leaf it would spring back a bit closer to its natural state.

Good time to tie up some more. With this crap rain and wind starting to hit.

I like to use good twine with a good strong stainless wire. Its easy to work with and plenty strong to hold up weight. Just be carful not to expose runs of it where branches sway in the wind. Thats the same stuff they put on cheese cutters 😬

20220921 143927
AirHammer

AirHammer

Its always the perfect time to cut a few little samples =)

6 week old bud gives me the giggles. And its fun to test potency from here out.

The small closer to dry bud I cut from the smaller sibling plant yesterday.

Sadly PM is beginning to rear its ugly head visually on that plant. Too bad because the buds are starting to look /smell delicious. There good and sticky too.

It isn't bad enough to harvest. Just the infected areas. The smoke reached "enjoyable decent smoke" if I were left with no other choice. I was on a staycation close to home. Now that Im back I can keep a closer eye on things.

The weather can go either way and turn to crap at this point, during these two final transition months. Rain today, decent temps. 22-27c. sun sun sun, with more rain, back to sun sun.

Will keep my other finger x'ed for that girl.

Enjoy.

Air Hammer.

20220921 144905
20220904 130231
20220919 145712
Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Hell yeah! Get rid of them! Their usefulness is over. All they’re doing now is getting in the way of the buds drying out, on the rare occasion that they get a chance to dry out back there.

AirHammer

AirHammer

Hell yeah! Get rid of them! Their usefulness is over. All they’re doing now is getting in the way of the buds drying out, on the rare occasion that they get a chance to dry out back there.
Thanks for dropping in chucky. Yes as useful as udders would be on the bull.

I wonder, would my big inline fan be worth potentially being electrocuted? Perhaps not, I don't even think its grounded. But I did notice someone using a leaf blower after it rained. To speed up drying. If nothing else that's dedication.

While here sorry for the slipup on days numbered. I called 48 when its actually only the 38th day. As we know 10 can make a night and day difference.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Probably me using the blower. I tried blowing individual plants but that didn’t work very good. So I set it back 30 feet and breezed the entire grow for a couple of hours. And that worked damn good! But here things to do dry out. Looking at a couple of weeks of sunshine and temps in the 80s and 90s. I just wanted to hurry up the drying process. Good luck man

AirHammer

AirHammer

High winds battered on them for several days leading up to this forty second day of flower. But nothing got snapped.

If I had to do a snap harvest, they past the critical wasteful stage. Becoming dense and chunky.

But that shouldn't be a thing, a lot more sunshine is coming. Several days worth of it.

I'll hit it with once more pinch of guano.

I may or may not do a full fertilization. Its nearly time to wind them right down.

20220927 123915
20220927 123755
20220927 123947
Last edited:
Top Bottom