A friend is telling me this is bad

• Thread starter geralds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geralds

geralds

So I’m planting up to 5 gallon from a 1.5 gallon pot. Plain old hard plastic pots. When I took the plant out the roots are super white and out of control. Yes they are spiraling. Is this a healthy root system. I showed a friend and his exact quote was “that’s baaaaad” I thought they looked pretty fucking nice to say so myself. He says get rain science pots to air prune but I’ve tried them and they dry up to quick in my environment. What do you guys think ?

A friend is telling me this is bad
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I’m planting up to 5 gallon from a 1.5 gallon pot. Plain old hard plastic pots. When I took the plant out the roots are super white and out of control. Yes they are spiraling. Is this a healthy root system. I showed a friend and his exact quote was “that’s baaaaad” I thought they looked pretty fucking nice to say so myself. He says get rain science pots to air prune but I’ve tried them and they dry up to quick in my environment. What do you guys think ?
Those roots are beautiful, the plant is very healthy and your friend is clueless, good luck!

mancorn

mancorn

I'd say your roots look healthy, but that you've waited waaaaaaaaay too long to transplant, and you're seriously root bound. This deprives the plant of air and water, and you're not using the actual soil (where the nutrients are.) Also if you're using a black pot, you can really get hammered on a hot day. (You can just google why you don't want root bound plants. It's not just cannabis, very few plants like being tightly packed.)

Dan789

Dan789

I agree with @mancorn, you’ll need to transplant sooner than you did this time, let it be a lesson learned...also fabric pots is the way forward. Mine only stay in one gallon bags for a max three weeks, then they’re up potted.

Mospeada

Mospeada

As soon as the plant becomes root bound you begin losing the potential you could have gotten from it. It's fine for if you purposely want to keep the plant stunted, like a mother plant but root space is a limiting factor to a grow. I'm planning an upgrade of my hydro soon as even five gallon buckets aren't enough for it. Aiming to grow a more outdoor looking plant inside. Anyways, if you're happy with the size of the plant than no need to transplant.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
As soon as the plant becomes root bound you begin losing the potential you could have gotten from it. It's fine for if you purposely want to keep the plant stunted, like a mother plant but root space is a limiting factor to a grow. I'm planning an upgrade of my hydro soon as even five gallon buckets aren't enough for it. Aiming to grow a more outdoor looking plant inside. Anyways, if you're happy with the size of the plant than no need to transplant.
That’s awesome. 8’ hydro monster. I’ll be along for that journal. 🌱🤣

geralds

geralds

he’s saying they should look like this because they prune and go back into the root ball. No you don’t want to see roots on the outer edge. This is his picture that he says are better roots

81B12BDC 9730 4BE2 8EE7 EAC94429A797
C356F594 CBD3 4CAA A7D3 A769993E26DD
Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
A lot of coiling and binding will hold the plant back even though it looks cool now. Basically the roots are crammed between the plastic wall and compacted medium so it's up to you to be dialed in with feeding and watering.
A few slips and it makes ya pay. Keep up with demand and you're golden

geralds

geralds

Any way I’m not bashing him at all because he does grow super huge buds and he’s been doing it for a long time. But I agree I should pot up about 2 weeks sooner next time. I noticed the plants were smaller than usual and I’m guessing this is why. I’ve always heard people saying oh you can grow a 3 foot plant in a solo cup with coco as the medium. But these things are like 2 feet tall now(very bushy though from lst) and they’re way ready for a bigger pot already. But yeah I’ve tried the fabric pots and I find the plants require more water than I’m willing to give them. A have flowering plants in 5 gal fab. And they’re getting 32-39 gallons every day as is so yeah it’s just a ton of work. So I’ll try the hard pots this time around.

N

Newber

I water like twice a week in 5 gallons, not sure how big ur plants are or if they are inside, but if u are watering 39 gallons a day in 5 gallon fabrics I'd be more than impressed 😂🤣😂😎 If u have a fifteen foot tree ..maybe?!

geralds

geralds

All in coco with perlite, in rain science pots. Each plant is roughly 4.5 feet tall and bushy AF. Got them in a 10x10 with 4 1000w de lights so you they be suckin up that water. Also have AC

geralds

geralds

I’m referring to the flowering plant not the roots I showed that’s the next batch and noticed they were a little off

N

Newber

maybe do a drip system if that's the case, im in ocean forest not coco, nothing against it other than the watering... and happy to hear that 39 gallons of for 65gallons of coco lol

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Those rain science pots are pretty nice. Pretty durable?

Mospeada

Mospeada

That’s awesome. 8’ hydro monster. I’ll be along for that journal. 🌱🤣
Shooting for 6 feet first...when I raise my ceilings than maybe eight 🤣

I'll be upgrading to this pot...60 gallons x 2. Going four plants per pot though so realistically they'll only get to about four - five feet if I don't use kelp on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom