A Growing Job

• Thread starter Prime C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
I was offered a growing job today to run a big room with payment after harvest. Before even going there I know this guy has had problems with growing and shitty strains. He owns the local shop here. Kinda funny that he sells everything to grow with and cant grow. Same as the other shop owner. lol

So I dont even know where to start as negotiating my payment. I would think a certain percentage like 25%..? That's without my strains.. I guess the first thing I need to do is see his room and assess what kind of return he's getting from his investment at the moment then go from there. Sounds like he's got some vert lighting going now so this will be my first big vert room!!:D

Anybody with experience on this situation?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yes, I do have experience in this area.

Go and look, but then be ready to write a contract with this guy- an ENFORCEABLE one that doesn't say anything about growing an illegal crop- and write all your basic stipulations down, such as minimum payment, what happens if he's raided, shuts down, etc.

If after reading through such a document, he is still willing to talk to you, then discuss it.

Just remember that lots can and does happen during a grow, and you need to make sure you aren't working for free.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
The way Im looking at it is more like a partnership. Taking into consideration that everything is his and Im just a laborer/consultant. If he gets raided I wouldnt expect him to pay. My only expectation would be a fair % and that amount would be up to my performance. Maybe Im too nice IDK.

bonkia

bonkia

Written agreement, is a great awnser everyone's bro this and that until the money comes in. Think about everything involved is he gonna expect you to trim? Do you have to reset everything by yourself? Are you splitting meds upfront? or the donations at the end... ect, exr Wager for 5 private days atleast. You are at the mercy of the grow its nice to get away.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Written for sure. Enforceable for sure. If you know what you are doing and can guarantee your performance with your own strains, that would be a nice big chip to throw on the table- they go with you whether it works out or not-enforce that with burning his building down. Start high but be willing to come down especially knowing you are going into something with your hardware.

Matter of fact bro, fuck all that- dont do it- grow yours at yours, if your not happy with where you are at, make it so. At least this way, you still have your friend, a 20-30% disco on hardware and you didn't give a no-heart grow your heart and strains..

PB

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've never done this specific thing, but I wouldn't touch a deal where you don't get paid *anything* until the crop's brought in with a 10' pole. Unless you can afford to lose all that time, etc, that is. I find it hard to believe that he's not at least partially solvent, should just be paying you a wage, IMO. If everything's his, what if he gets a hair across his ass and just decides to shut you out? Definitely get everything in writing, for ensuring everyone's on the same page as anything else.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Yeah I def wanna keep good vibes between us and get my discounts! I feel like Im still a rookie compared to you folks around the farm. I wanna do it just for the experience in a bigger room that way when i get one I'll have some foresight.

I greatly appreciate the different views and advice from you guys. Priceless info here at the farm!:D

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Never hired anyone except trimmers during harvest when doing outdoor. If I were you I`d dig around and ask if anyone has worked for this person before. Find out if (he/She) is fair to work for. Don`t get involved with a flake!

sixstring

sixstring

yeah a set weekly wage of some sort would be fair for both sides and maybe some kind of bonus at the end if in fact your skills help him make more money from his operation.then all you would need is the bonus money in writing and hope he appreciates your skills and keeps you in the loop for future grows.personally i wouldnt put anything in writing for a helper unless i saw firsthand that he or she has run a grow op as big or bigger then the one i needed help with.sounds like a fun job though,gl

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
You'll make the right decisions... Maybe you could hold title to collateral (grow shop equip.) to get past some of these issues...

ttystikk

ttystikk

The more I think about this, the more I realize you're putting yourself at his mercy. If he's even one tick shy of being completely ethical, it will be awfully tempting to cut you out.

Something you said above is also worrying; you don't have experience with grows that big, either? If that's the case, you're going to school on someone else's dime, and so perhaps you should consider the chance to be involved at all as payment enough? After all, you can't guarantee results if you're in over your head yourself!

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Never hired anyone except trimmers during harvest when doing outdoor. If I were you I`d dig around and ask if anyone has worked for this person before. Find out if (he/She) is fair to work for. Don`t get involved with a flake!
He seems to be a very genuine person and has always been a great person to work with on pricing. I do know some mutual friends and never heard anything negative. I will proceed with caution as I always do.
no such thing as an enforceable contract in this game. No such thing as a partner either...good luck.
Hey Dirk! Yeah I've found that out with people I made plans with. My FRIENDS that have made promises and then act the opposite. Sometimes I put all my eggs in one basket. BUT I ALWAYS KEEP THE CHICKENS SAFE!:D
The more I think about this, the more I realize you're putting yourself at his mercy. If he's even one tick shy of being completely ethical, it will be awfully tempting to cut you out.

Something you said above is also worrying; you don't have experience with grows that big, either? If that's the case, you're going to school on someone else's dime, and so perhaps you should consider the chance to be involved at all as payment enough? After all, you can't guarantee results if you're in over your head yourself!
I totally hear what your saying on everything. I am a little nervous about this too. It will def be a test of my skill set. Im confident that I can make a change for the better in his room.

ttystikk

ttystikk

He seems to be a very genuine person and has always been a great person to work with on pricing. I do know some mutual friends and never heard anything negative. I will proceed with caution as I always do.

Hey Dirk! Yeah I've found that out with people I made plans with. My FRIENDS that have made promises and then act the opposite. Sometimes I put all my eggs in one basket. BUT I ALWAYS KEEP THE CHICKENS SAFE!:D

I totally hear what your saying on everything. I am a little nervous about this too. It will def be a test of my skill set. Im confident that I can make a change for the better in his room.

LOL I bet! Keep in mind that everything in there is the way it is for a reason. You want to know those reasons, lest they come back to haunt you.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Best way to go is pay as you go. Employee`s should have any option they want for the agreed wages. Paid in what ever medium every day they work. Cash , Smoke, Gold, Ammo, ect. Barter items may always be used. The Idea is they get something of value they deem worth there work while the employer is also happy with the work being done vs. the wages paid. The employer is never in debt for the work done and the employee is always paid up for the work.

D

donsogman

I have done this type of arrangement with 2 people. But you must trust them to the fullest. My deal was I would educate them to allow them to produce on their own in future. I would setup grow room with a minimum of 3k or not worth it. All equipment used is mine, I provide all clones as well. As far as payment we split it exactly 50/50 for 3 full harvests. Then I take my equipment and am done. If they want to continue they have 3 harvest to learn and invest in equipment. Yes it was a great risk on my part, but worked out wonderfully. Profit for all of us and these two people took the knowledge I left them and are doing well on their own to this day. So it could be a great thing, but trust is the most important thing

G gnome

G gnome

Every shop owner i ever known couldn't grow their way out of a paper bag lol. I've gotten some pretty bad advice. They only know what their suppliers tell them. Most of their info is 2nd hand not actual knowledge from experience.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
I didnt like the deal so I moved on. Did another joint project that fizzled out. Now Im on another project! Ive found that fellow farmers have a better understanding and respect for what we do. Us weed dorks gotta stick together!:cigar:

Top Bottom