A little bit of this, and a little bit of that.

• Thread starter Scotty2toes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

New guy here, figured I'd finally start a grow diary for my Afghan beans.

So long story short I started my first seedling which was a bag seed of Berry White on 3/30 and made it 28 days.

Until the kid's pet rabbit ate the plant to the base........

A couple days later I germed 3 bag seeds of Afghan Kush on 4/28.

2 folded up wet paper towels with the beans in a coffee filter between them. Hung it up in the furnace closet. 2 popped, waited a few more days for the 3rd and no dice.

20200430_182912.jpg

72 hours later I potted the 2 into peat pellets soaked in distilled water with Rapidstart.

20200501_205943.jpg

24 hours later, they both broke the surface.

Side note, Berry White took 3 days longer then these 2 to shoot through.

20200503_122502.jpg

Day 5, 1 bean took the Rapidstart like a champ. The other ended up with a little burn.

20200503_234709.jpg

Today is Day 9. 2 days ago I noticed a little white furry growth on the top layer of the soil from misting/foliar spraying and freaked out (still pissed at the damn rabbit as well) and re-potted the seedlings into these boujee solo cups and cored holes into them for some air flow.

I've been intermittently watering and got the small sprout to catch up to the other.

20200507_183719.jpg

They seem to be doing great, and have good color.

I'm doing trial runs for now to get a better understanding of how to properly care for plants until I have the coin to get my indoor gear setup.

Currently growing under a Sun Blaze single T5, potted in Roots Organic 707 and watering with only distilled water and feeding with Rapidstart every other day, directly to the stem.

Trying not to over water and giving each seedling 9-15 ML per watering depending on how moist the stem area is. I fed the smaller seedling more Rapidstart the past 2 times and it seemed to have worked with catching up to the bigger one.

I will keep the schedule to water/wait a day/then water/feed and so on. I mainly want to focus on the root development for the first few weeks. Then I will re-pot into elevated 1 gallon fabric pots under the same light. Low and slow, I've got all the time in the world.

My main goal is to have a mother plant by the time I get my setup procured.

I will keep concentrating on my trials, but once I'm comfortable enough with all of this, I want to try my hand at crossing a couple strains. I have some Green Alien regs and fem Amnesia Ganja Haze beans on the way for that.

Anywho, I'm glad I found a place with a ton of information and guidance and look forward to the feedback.

Last edited:
threatco

threatco

Hello and welcome. Your plants look amazing! It sounds like a good plan to get mothers ready for your future to grow investment.

Some food for thought. I am a hydroponic grower my self. And seeing soil kind of freaks me out with the number of pest issues that can happen.

When you are thinking of mothers, you want plants that will live for a year+. So it is crucial to maintain the sterility of their grow medium.

When I see your cool shelf set up here, my main concern is pests come inside on your clothes (that looks like a common area). And if they don't get in your weed pots, they could get in the older house plants soil, and then migrate.

So if it was me, I would move the girls to a room you can control and keep clean. A free way to help ensure a better outcome.

I can appreciate wanting to have them out for aesthetic or space reasons.

Cheers,

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Appreciate the kind words sir. I have them on the stand temporarily for now and will be moving them to a no traffic area in this little offshoot room off of my bedroom shortly. I have some organizing to do first.

Plus, this is the the area I will eventually have my tent setup, hopefully by the end of June. I don't have a conditioned basement or a garage so the master bedroom is my best option.

Plan on getting a Jardin Lodge 5.25' x 4' to house the mother, and cloning area above on the small side and veg/bloom on the main side. 4 - 5 gallon pots for veg with Roots Organic, and re-pot into 7 gallons with FF Ocean Forest and perlite for the bloom cycle. Mars Hydro TS 3k for the main area, my T5 above the cloner, and a dimmable blurple above the mother. Cloudline 6 fan setup etc etc.

threatco

threatco

Wow this tent is cool as hell. Is it this one? I don't think I've seen a design like this.

That sounds like a really amazing setup. Seems like you want to go all out to make some killer bud.

The only constructive feedback I have from this is, I worry a Mars Hydro TS-3000w will not put out enough light to flower a 4x4 flower area to the maximum potential. You would need to achieve the 650-900 PPFD requirement without CO2. This light only does that for the middle 2x2 square foot. 3/4 of the tent would be too dark.

What is your thought process on light choice?

Last edited:
Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Why would their site state a 5 by veg and a 4 by bloom coverage? I figured because of the "Wideband Sunlight Full Spectrum LED Grow" it would be legit enough the outer areas.

Back to some more research then.

threatco

threatco

Why would their site state a 5 by veg and a 4 by bloom coverage? I figured because of the "Wideband Sunlight Full Spectrum LED Grow" it would be legit enough the outer areas.

Back to some more research then.

I agree the marketing claims are annoying. It would grow buds, just not too full potential.

There are some threads in the LED forum about Chinese quantum boards. These are built with the exact same Meanwell drivers and Samsung diodes as the expensive HLG or Mars Hydro ones. But cost less than half.

It helps a lot to split the lights to cover more area. Like instead of getting a single 4-panel 480 watt QB, you could get 2 separate 2-panel 240 watt QB's for almost the same price. They make the same amount of light, but you can space them out to better distribute that light evenly.

I ordered 2 of these lights for my 4x4 space

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Or 4 of these.

4 of these, not the smaller of the group.

IMG 3278 800x

Last edited:
Reactions: Ina
Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Or 1 of these. 8 bars.

EnerMax X series full spectrum grow bar light 01 8 14795224 bc1a 4b8a 863c 99e71c91ada6 800x

threatco

threatco

Nope. Eco 650 w 6 bar is my best bet. 570.00.

I don't see many people using those bar setups for smaller grows. To my knowledge, they are more used for greenhouse setups that get some sunlight.

I could be totally wrong.

I suggest a good full spec blurple like 2x KingPlus 1500w. https://kingledlights.com/products/king-plus-1500w-double-chips-led-grow-light

Or some Spider Farmer knock offs. 2x https://www.spider-farmer.com/produ...p4J14ir628ivvyV3C5F_2xpS3lGHTkfkaAr0gEALw_wcB

Spider Farm is way overcharging. But something built with the same parts seems to be the most popular trend for tent growers right now.

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Day 13

So less than 24 hours the left bean, which has been the most successful since it started, shot out crazy. The pellet the seed was dropped into had roots growing out of all sides/bottom and they were healthy so into the gallon pot it goes.

The right bean had suffered some type of grow stint I believe from the Rapidstart, and the first shoot past the primary leaves was malformed significantly. I tried to get as close as possible to top the funky growth and broke one of the primary leaves so I chopped it, and just going to see what happens from here.

To throw another wrench into this trial, I watered very lightly with tap water after transplanting so let's see what the outcome is since I didn't test it.

20200511 181058

20200511 174706

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Gettin chunky. The right bean went bye bye, but have this one going strong and it has taken everything I have thrown at it. Going to be relocated to the bedroom away from everyone and everything this weekend. Might just grab a single blurple grow bulb and fix a clamp light in its area. Then I can start my vegetable seedlings in the kitchen and Afghan can be chill in its quiet little area.

IMG 20200513 205300

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Thanks threat, appreciate it. Just playing around with the nutes as well, going from the gut and observation. Have separate 1 gallon containers and feed with syringes to not over do it. Bottom pic is the soil obviously.

IMG 20200513 211644

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Gettin chunky. The right bean went bye bye, but have this one going strong and it has taken everything I have thrown at it. Going to be relocated to the bedroom away from everyone and everything this weekend. Might just grab a single blurple grow bulb and fix a clamp light in its area. Then I can start my vegetable seedlings in the kitchen and Afghan can be chill in its quiet little area.

View attachment 972630
Also, the second node is rearing its oh so sticky self as of today. Cannot wait till fingers crossed gender ID.

Question to anyone who is looking at this, do female plants take nutrients differently than males?

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

Also, the second node is rearing its oh so sticky self as of today. Cannot wait till fingers crossed gender ID.

Question to anyone who is looking at this, do female plants take nutrients differently than males?

Sorry, correction as I was incorrect with my anatomy. Start of the 2nd "inter" node is showing itself.

Scotty2toes

Scotty2toes

It's crazy how much of a difference a little nutrients/correct soil and not using basic Miracle-Gro/distilled(no additive nutes).

But on the other hand, and speaking of MG, I have a buddy (first grow) who popped 6 Royal OG bean bag seeds on 1/13/20, which all are female BTW. (Indoor 3x3 grow with full spectrum LED the entire time on full power) He has used Miracle-Gro potting soil the entire time with MG nitrogen and some Flower Power Booster shit, and mixed tap water with epsom salt/molasses intermittently throughout both veg and flower. He had a little guidance at the beginning with topping, and has some big bushes going. He successfully rooted around 12 clones, and removed one of the plants so he can have some room as well, plus super cropped the remaining 5. He's been in the flower cycle for a couple weeks now and currently counted 60 budsites.

I thought he was nuts and going straight hillbilly with his first grow regarding mediums/tactics but since he started, no stunt issues, and has had both spider mite and aphid infestation which he mitigated quite impressively.

If the final product ends up smelling awesome and ends up tasting good, then shit to each is their own. Not a bad first grow.

IMG 20200516 163108

Latest posts

Top Bottom