A Process Analysis of Making Colloidal Silver for Production of Feminized Cannabis Seeds By DWD

• Thread starter DowNwithDirT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

A Process Analysis of Making Colloidal Silver for Production of Feminized Cannabis Seeds By Down With Dirt

Feminized seeds are a beneficial way to preserve genetic lines as well as create new hybrids out of your best strains. It is a common alternative to standard seed production and has been proven a consistent and effective breeding tool in the last decade. Feminized seeds are seeds that are made with 2 females, rather than the traditional method which requires both male and female. No males are ever needed but rather two females; one target reversal plant, and one target pollination plant. The target reversal plant is sprayed with a solution that blocks out all female hormones. The result is a female plant that produces male flowers containing only female pollen, consequently all progeny are female. Although there are several methods to producing feminized seeds, this article will focus on colloidal silver.

Colloidal silver is the safest and most reproduced method. There are 5 materials needed to make colloidal silver: a 12v ac adapter, alligator clips, 99.9% pure silver, distilled water, and a one-quart mason jar. The adapter and alligator clips can be purchased at electronics stores. 99.9 % pure silver can be purchased on line from many sources. Another alternative would be to use pure silver coins, which you may be able to source without the internet. You need 2 pieces of silver, whether it is 2 rods from the internet, 2 coins, or one coin cut in half; it is up to you. Purity is key as you do not want any contaminants to end up in your solution, as you will be spraying it on your target reversal plant. Distilled water is essential to this process because it free of all impurities. Tap water, reverse osmosis, or any bottled water is not sufficient. A glass jar is also essential because it will not leach any impurities into your solution.

The first step is to fill your jar approximately 90% full with distilled water. Next, attach the alligator clips to the adapter wires. Positive and negative are of no immediate concern. After the alligator clips are attached, clip them to your pieces of silver. You want to position the silver in the jar of water, with no contact to the jar or each other. You can use a pencil across the top of the jar and tape to secure in place if necessary. Be sure to keep the alligator clips out of the water as this too can cause impurities. Finally, you want to find a dark cool area where you can plug in the adapter, and leave it undisturbed for 8-12 hrs. After some time you will see deposits on one piece of silver and trails of silver coming off the other piece. Your solution is now complete, and should be transferred to a spray bottle. It is important to shake the solution thoroughly before each and every application as settling is natural. A water wetter can be used in conjunction for better coverage.

Application of this product should started on your target reversal plant in vegetative phase. It is important to induce flowering on your target reversal plant at least 10 days before your target pollination plant. As well, continuous applications daily for 14-21 days into flower phase are necessary for a complete reversal. There is no set criteria for choosing a target reversal plant, but you want a plant that is stable, produces well or has traits you wish to pass on, and that has NO hermaphrodite tendencies. Timing is key to a successful seed production and dependent on the strain of the target reversal, your timing may need some slight changes. The goal is to have your female completely reversed and releasing pollen by week 2 of the target pollination plant flower phase. Pollination techniques vary on overall plan and grow environment, but pollen can be collected and stored for several months in a refrigerator.

Definitions of Major Terminology:

Target Reversal Plant - A female plant to be sprayed with colloidal silver to create pollen.

Target Pollination Plant - A female plant to be pollinated by target reversal plant.

Reversal - To induce female to assume male characteristics.

Feminized Seed - Seed that produces 100% female progeny.

Colloidal Silver - A suspension of silver particles in a colloidal base.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for posting all that DWD! Do you prefer CS to STS? Ive found STS to work much better for me..

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

Definitely want to start budding the reversal plant a few weeks early, as it will take much longer to get viable pollen compared to a male....at least with some plants anyway.

neverbreak

neverbreak

great write up bro, thanks for the post!

neverbreak

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Thanks DWD, awesome write up.

Super accessible way for people to start producing seed of their favorite genetics...it ain't as easy as it sounds, but if you're up to the challenge, the rewards can really be worth it.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

Salutations DowNwithDirT,

It was with apprehension that i opened a window to read this thread, only to find out it's just like most other stuff which can be found on the subject. In any case i'm hoping we'll get some good photographs documenting this particularily basic method.

103.gif
check my other threads plenty of documentation and proven success with this method

N

nightmarecreature

They sell Tiresias Mist for $20 at hydro stores. If you're doing one big plant or two small plants, it works great and is CS. If you're doing a whole bunch of reversals, it's probably best to make your own.

N

nightmarecreature

I don't use glass , I keep it in plastic. I have plenty of mason jars but I'm lazy.

I run mine like this till it reaches 30ppm. 30ppm of pure silver not CS.For some reason store bought CS needs to be a lot higher ppm. How high I'm not sure.

inthefire

inthefire

Great info ,Nightmarecreature what do you mean pure silver whats the difference ?

N

nightmarecreature

Just to let you know 16ppm works just fine, even at that ppm, its a little too strong. Ill try 8ppm next.

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

Will this reverse a male also? If so it could be beneficial in male selection.

OLDproLg

OLDproLg

By the way friends,

thanks for the thanx!
its very cool here,im likin this place alot..

Just a little info to help out,DRINK SOME SHINE,
then use the empty jar hahahaha!!!
Have a great time reversing..
Lg

L

Lulubutler

Dos it half to be pure like can we use the older quarters like in the picture they are 90% silver ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom