A question for you breeders.

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

Hey guys and gals, my question is for all you breeders out there.

How do you feel about people breeding 2 random plants together, not even getting through F1 yet, then proceeding to call it "so and so genetics" and naming the unknown result something like "game changer"..

I only ask cause I see it as mighty presumptuous, pretentious and arrogant.
I know it's most likely not intended as such, but that's how it comes across to me.

I've mixed strains before, fooled around with F1 stuff for fun. But I would never call myself a breeder or big cube genetics. Let alone even name my mix before I've tried it.

To me that belittles you actual breeders who put in days months and years to your craft, those of you who actually deserve the titles...

Am I overreacting? Probably. It just rubs me the wrong way.. 🤣

R

redshift75

Im just starting breeding. but id say it takes more then single round of x+y or something to that effect. But it also depends taking 2 really stable genetics and going through them and ending up with something that pays tribute to both strains in some way isnt necessarily bad. Its all in how its presented. I see lots of seed companies who end up with menus that are almost a bunch of strains x 1 strain. which alternates cycle to cycle. But they dont present it as more then that. Its the ones that have little testing but draw out some long tale about a single pollination as being the next great thing. Do i think it has happened? yes... Do i think it happens everytime as some breeders come across from time to time? No.

I do however to that point like the idea of 100s of growers trying these various single cross in hopes that we do find that next big breakthrough.

For me lots of it depends on what the goal is. If you hit a sweet spot and the testing and grow diaries pan out. Dont see too many problems with it. But i definitely agree there is more puffery in it sometimes than truth to some standards of ethics.

How you present the genetics and its roots is the difference than the possibility of the genetics themselves. Thats what starts to become more scamish than insulting id say. Its the same thing as saying bag seed from some swag is authentic genetics from a reputable breeder on some level for me. Just coat-tailing their hardwork for your gain.

Top Bottom