A Stupid Electrical Question

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Long story short, needed to buy two 1/6HP pumps to run my new system, and I wasn't planning on that amp draw (only run for a couple of seconds every few minutes, but they need their own circuit) and the 3 20 amp circuits that are already in there are all spoken for with lights, chillers, etc.

I "found" an extra 15 amps in my garage, but it's in the form of a switch which controls my rear floodlights - I'm trying to undo that and insert an outlet in there.

So, I don't think I can just take out the three wires feeding the switch and put them into the outlet, can I?

Because aren't the lights still somehow wired to something? Are you impressed with my extensive electrical knowledge yet?

Anyone's help is much appreciated, as I'm already ridiculously behind schedule - if you need any more info or more/better pics for clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks guys/gals, and I hope everyone's having a great Friday :banana1sv6:

A stupid electrical question
A stupid electrical question 2
A stupid electrical question 3
A stupid electrical question 4
A stupid electrical question 5
Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Bobby,

The hot wire is connected to the switch. The neutral runs straight through to the light's.(White wire). The hot lead, (Black wire) and the neutral need to get connected to that outlet. Any thing else on that circuit?

J

Jalisco Kid

Turn on your light,throw the breaker so that the light is out. This almost assumes the circuit is dead. Remove the black wire put the wire nut back on temp.then do the same with the white wire. Remove the green wire and attach it to the green screw. Then put the white on the silver colored screw,the black then goes to the brass colored screw. Retighten screws if needed install the outlet and throw the breaker.
I tell people to work with one hand in their back pocket and always act like the circuit is hot. Suerte JK

G

GRAMTOWN

There is no such thing as a stupid electrical question!

B

Bobby Smith

Guys, I really appreciate the responses, but I'd be lying if I said I knew what you were talking about.

I'm assuming I can't just switch the wires from the switch to the outlet and call it a day, correct?

I know I'm asking a lot, but if one of you had it in your hearts to tell me the steps I needed to do to properly replace the switch with an outlet, I'd be much, much obliged.

Again though, I really appreciate all the help so far.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Bobby

I will do my best to answer this for ya. There are three lines in that switch box. Hot (black), Common (white), Ground (bare copper).

The way a switch works is you interupt the circuit. In your case the hot is where that interuption occurs.

Here's what you do.

1. Shut off breaker to the circuit.
2. disconnect all lines
3. connect black wire to the copper looking screw, put a wire nut on the extra black wire.
4. connect white wire to the silver looking screw, put a wire nut on the extra white wire.
5. connect ground to green screw.
6. Turn breaker back on.

You may have to mess around with this a bit to find the correct black and white wires. If you have a multimeter you can easily find out which ones are correct by checking the voltage on them.

This will disable your rear floodlights.

B

Bobby Smith

Now that's what I'm talking about, bro :)

Gonne give that a shot tomorrow when I sober up and I'll let everybody know how it goes - thanks for all the help.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

No problem Bobby. I was an electrician about 3 careers ago. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

I

InvisibleM

Looks like a 3 way switch. I wouldn't disconnect my security lights, too many thieves. You could power both from the outlet or run a new circuit.... I'd just run a new circuit.

B

Bobby Smith

Bump.........can one of you guys take a quick look at the video above and help me out?

Trying to get that done today if possible - sorry, not trying to be pushy, just wanna get some plants in there today.

FLB

FLB

so bobby... That outlet box is also serving as a junction box meaning hot comes in and leaves in two different directions. To make this very simple, go down to home depot and buy a $5 dollar test pen. It senses electric current and should be used everytime you mess with anything to assure the power is off. Cap all wires and turn breaker back on. With the power on you can locate the hot wire coming in. From there you can wire your outlet in and either abandon the two other wires or pig tail them together. Killing the two other wires will probably shut something down you don't want. It would make much more sense to run a new wire or two to the room. The best thing you could do is bring a panel with 220 and 110. Room for expansion. Nice setup by the way.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Bobby,
FLB has it correct. One set of wires is from the panel. One is to something else on that same circuit, and the last is to the light. I suggest getting a back wire outlet. It would be the easiest to work with. That will have holes in the back that you insert the wires into, and to clamp them down, you simply tighten the screw for that side.

Turn off the breaker first.

Then, with some pliers, twist all the grounds (bare copper) tightly together, with a few inches of one of the wires coming off the end, to hook around the green screw on the outlet. Next take all of the neutrals (white wires) and connect them to the silver screw side of the outlet. There will be 4 holes on the back, so you have plenty. Last, try combinations of 2 of the three hot (black) wires. Connect 2, cap the third, turn the breaker back on, and then see if you have both power at the outlet, and the light that it switched is not powered on either.

-TF

B

Bobby Smith

FLB and TF, really appreciate it.

You can read the below if you want, but I think the bolded stuff at the bottom is probably a better question.

So basically, take all the white wires, connect them together, and run one of them to the silver screw (even though they're not going to be on? I don't really need or want power to the lights it's currently powering - my backyard lights up like a football stadium at night, so I can live without those lights being on).

Take all the copper, connect them, and run one to the green.

Take the blacks, and just test different combinations of them? If one goes to the lights, and another goes to an outlet (hypothetically speaking), would it matter which of those I matched with the hot from the breaker panel?

Ignore all that shit above unless it's correct, here's my newest question:

1) There's nothing on that circuit that I need or want power to.

2) Could I use that volt meter to figure out which one of the trio of wire trios (if that makes sense) actually has current running though it?

Then, simply use those three wires (the white, black, and copper) from the breaker panel and wire it up to the outlet? And just cap the other two sets of wires that feed something else?

Could I be any more retarded? I'm sorry guys, I know this must feel like you're talking to a five year old now - I've just put in a shitload of work on this build/system, and I'd hate to die or burn the house down before I got to use it.

Thanks so much again.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

If you are sure that there is nothing on that circuit that you will be missing, then yes, you could just hook up the one set of wires to the outlet. Also, you are correct, the meter is the best way to test for your voltage.

B

Bobby Smith

Perfect, gonna try it soon - if you don't hear back from me, it didn't go well :)

I'll let you know when I've conquered this beast.

homebrew420

homebrew420

If you plan to do any other kind of electrical tinkering go pick up a Fluke or Greenlee "non-contact" voltage indicator. All you have to do is get the insrument close to a hot wire and it will indicate that there is voltage. $20 @ Home Desperate. It appears as though the switch is acting as a wire nut, making contact for more that one connection. Shitty install,imo. Always tail outlets and switches out. Give them a lead and connect with a wire nut. Do not be that guy that twists wires together more than you can under a wire nut. Just makes it more difficult later when/if you need to take it apart. The bottom of that switch is your Hot, I see 2 wires there. The top is the switch leg. Tail out from the switch to reconnect it, if desired. No offense to anyone giving advise but I am from the school of thought that NEVER twists wires together. That is what your wire nut is for. Turn off the breaker. It wont kill you if you don't just going to sting. and maybe ruin a pair of strippers or something. Most advise given here is good follow the steps given thus far and you should be successful. Peace.

Pm me if you run into anything. I am a master Electrician.

B

Bobby Smith

Thanks for all the help, guys - finally got this done today, but it took ten times of flipping the breaker and doing random shit before I finally got it - wasted about an hour+ trying to figure out why the non-hot wires wouldn't give me power to the outlet (assumed which of the three was the hot, and we all know what assuming does).

Finally busted out the voltage meter, figured out which was the hot feed, and got it done.

15 more amps for me :)

Again everyone, thanks for your help - it's really appreciated.

hiboy

hiboy

ITs not a 3way switch. THeres just two hots it looks like. I'ld replace it with a 20 amp outlet.. not the regular 15 amp in your hand. Always wrap your wire around the screws, dont stab em in if its a 14 guage wire. I've seen too many future problems that way. IMO i'ld definitley twist em. Too many times i've seen a wire slip when pushing them in the box.

Top Bottom