A Tip From An Arborist That Should Help Us......

• Thread starter ByrneBurnham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Good afternoon my fellow enthusiasts ! ! ! So - here's the deal.....I'll keep it short and sweet. So I was on a flight and sat next to this cool cat that was a big time arborist or arborer - can't remember the exact term (he used a lot of big terms-you'll see what I mean momentarily)....Anyway - he went to describe in detail as to how the gov't of Brazil is "rebuilding" the rainforest and how it starts with the baby tree (cant remember that term). He explained that the technique of gaining a larger root mass IN CONJUNCTION with 'kinetic stress techniques' (an example would be a fan blowing on plants with young stalks to cause tiny cracks and cuts) is best used on plants and trees with soft enough skin to result in the aforementioned cracks.
So here's what he explained. ...if you take a small seedling and purposely cause it to stretch (light source beyond the optimum distance) WHILE running a small fan - the now elongated meristem that has now developed tiny stress cracks all along it - are new ROOTING sites.
So if you then take that stretched elongated seedling and replant it to just under the coty's - that buried stem (with the cracks) will now start sprouting roots developing a huge root mass from its infancy.

Any other farmer heard of or has done something similar ? And yes - I have employed the above technique with these babies....
A tip from an arborist that should help us

I should point out that my goal is to grow trees which explains why im starting these before the New Year and Im in Colorado..... (these plants will primarily be outdoor when the weather is conducive to them being there full time). And thanks Little Dabbie ! !

Last edited:
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Good afternoon my fellow enthusiasts ! ! ! So - here's the deal.....I'll keep it short and sweet. So I was on a flight and sat next to this cool cat that was a big time arborist or arborer - can't remember the exact term (he used a lot of big terms-you'll see what I mean momentarily)....Anyway - he went to describe in detail as to how the gov't of Brazil is "rebuilding" the rainforest and how it starts with the baby tree (cant remember that term). He explained that the technique of gaining a larger root mass IN CONJUNCTION with 'kinetic stress techniques' (an example would be a fan blowing on plants with young stalks to cause tiny cracks and cuts) is best used on plants and trees with soft enough skin to result in the aforementioned cracks.
So here's what he explained. ...if you take a small seedling and purposely cause it to stretch (light source beyond the optimum distance) WHILE running a small fan - the now elongated meristem that has now developed tiny stress cracks all along it - are new ROOTING sites.
So if you then take that stretched elongated seedling and replant it to just under the coty's - that buried stem (with the cracks) will now start sprouting roots developing a huge root mass from its infancy.

Any other farmer heard of or has done something similar ? And yes - I have employed the above technique with these babies....View attachment 468830
Looking real nice Danks for sharing

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
This is exactly what I do. I often have my seedling in small round countainers and let them stetch a lot. Then I repot them, and berry the long alongeted seedling until the soil reach the leaves. I curve the stalk as a helix and cover it.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Downloadfile 6

Any other farmer heard of or has done something similar ? And yes - I have employed the above technique with these babies....View attachment 468830

I should point out that my goal is to grow trees which explains why im starting these before the New Year and Im in Colorado..... (these plants will primarily be outdoor when the weather is conducive to them being there full time). And thanks Little Dabbie ! !
Does this happen throughout plant life for instance this last summer the bottom of my trunks all split, so if I would have added more soil up past the splits roots would grow? I'll go look for the pic...

Here it is

Last edited:
ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

View attachment 468904
Does this happen throughout plant life for instance this last summer the bottom of my trunks all split, so if I would have added more soil up past the splits roots would grow? I'll go look for the pic...

Here it is
Thats a good question C420. I've not had that happen before and Im thinking if the splitting happened towards the end of the plants life its beyond growing "new" roots - just extendi g whats there already. This process of growing a larger root mass takes place earlier in the plants life (or in his case - tree)......
its awesome to see others like Shroom KING and The Coolest Man using this technique already......if those cats are doing it Im cosigning on that ! ! !
On another note - the term he used for "kinetic stress tech" was sometjing altogether different - thats the best term I could use to describe the various methods he mentioned they use in the "field" to cause these fractures along treeling trunks....I asked if they apply any rooting hormone to the cuts (something Ive learned about while utilizing the ground layering technique) and he looked me funny. He was a professor at some Agricultural college in Kansas or Nebraska I believe ?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Thats a good question C420. I've not had that happen before and Im thinking if the splitting happened towards the end of the plants life its beyond growing "new" roots - just extendi g whats there already. This process of growing a larger root mass takes place earlier in the plants life (or in his case - tree)......
its awesome to see others like Shroom KING and The Coolest Man using this technique already......if those cats are doing it Im cosigning on that ! ! !
On another note - the term he used for "kinetic stress tech" was sometjing altogether different - thats the best term I could use to describe the various methods he mentioned they use in the "field" to cause these fractures along treeling trunks....I asked if they apply any rooting hormone to the cuts (something Ive learned about while utilizing the ground layering technique) and he looked me funny. He was a professor at some Agricultural college in Kansas or Nebraska I believe ?
This pic looks like transition stage so it potentially had 2-3 months to go depending ofcourse on the situation

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I would transplant at angle and tie down whole plant to damn near laying down then slow do the arborist trick but the experience I have with doing this induces a rott that forms at trunk if you go to fast and bury to deep with too wet soggy dirt I'm just brainstorming hear

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

\light deprivation has a fair bit to do with the change over to roots, I bet you could slot a flowerpot down both sides and lay the stem across the pot, maybe stake the pot down and tie the stem to the pot and fill it with soil, keep installing pots as it grows laterally, and snip them off once the roots take. Just thinking out loud.

Top Bottom