A win for marijuana research

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

A win for marijuana research
Friday, February 19, 2010

Marijuana comes with controversy, trouble and opinion - but little science. That's why a UC-backed study, partial as it is, is welcome.

The study, actually five small ones with two more under way, found that smoking modest amounts of the drug can alleviate pain and muscle spasms linked to multiple sclerosis and several other conditions. It confirmed popular wisdom that pot eases physical discomfort - the prime argument of the medical marijuana movement.

But it's not the final word in judging the weed's worth. That can only come with more studies, and California doesn't have the money to pay for further research by the Center for Medical Cannabis Research at UC San Diego. The White House has eased up on crackdowns on medical marijuana, but there is no talk of a federal study that might match or expand on the UC work.

It may be too late for science, at least in this state and 13 others that have approved medical use of the drug. Since 1996, when voters approved Proposition 215 allowing for medical marijuana, the substance has become quasi-legal. Pot clinics have sprung up by the hundreds, and a determined buyer can usually find a sympathetic doctor who will prescribe cannabis.

The new study should serve to justify a humane approach toward pot's use. It adds badly needed research in an area where there's been surprisingly little. But the findings stop short of full blessing for legalizing marijuana.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
It is sad that there isn't more research out...thats how they want it tho,its a shame.the gov't/lobbyists don't want the benefits of the most useful plant known to man,instead they wish to eradicate it..from personal experience alone, when i was under going chemo therapy, was able to use mj in place of 5 diff. prescriptions that doc.s give out for nausea/vomiting.(which all came with unwanted side affects)not to mention what it did for depression/appetite.....of course the dug companies don't profit off a plant that comes from the ground..but they tried,Marinol....what a joke..how can you say that mj has no benefits medically,but then release a drug that attempts to mimic thc down to the last molecule.....hmmmm makes you think huh?(btw marinol is nothing like mj. i used it with no benefits...other than my insurance co paying out..If the drug comps. could patent the plant then it would be a wonder drug..not to mention the array of other uses...hemp/textiles etc. Burn

S

SweetIslandFunk

this will certainly help me in court on friday.
got fight for your right to party..

Latest posts

Top Bottom