Actual real info

• Thread starter Mr.Juice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Considering I’m in the process of crossing and making my own seeds and I’m always wanting to learn something new. I’ve spent a lot of time reading about genetics. So this is what I found:

Nobody really provides any real information about the genetics of cannabis. ( I’m guessing everyone keeps all the secrets to themselves)

It’s always the same crap basic biology lesson, I know cause I teach it. Talk about Mendel, standard textbook examples and blah blah blah.

I’ve had to resort to reading medical journal articles to find any information of substance. Pretty much all the research is on THC and CBD levels. Really hard to find leaf colour, pistil colour etc. genetic modes of inheritance.

But this is what I found anyway:

Each plant produces its own ratio of THC:CBD
It is controlled by a single locus (gene)
Gene expression is CODOMINANT

I don’t think I can do subscripts here so have a look here

Actual real info
Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I just read through it’s breeding chapters. Still doesn’t explain specifics. Uses hypothetical examples. With the years and years of people breeding this stuff you would think there would be more info. This is what I would like to know: which of the following characteristics are simple recessive/dominant, codominant, incomplete dominant, multigene etc for traits such as: Plant height, Leaf colour, Pistil colour, bud density etc.

If I were to take a red haired plant and crossed it with one with orange hairs, I should be able to do that on paper and determine phenotypic ratios.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
There is a really good Bubbleman podcast with Chimera and the dude who did a lot of the GMO corn that talks about specifics and genetic markers and the process for selecting traits as far as back crossing and s1's. This is more of breaking down the gene sequence and using markers for specific traits like PM resistance. Still a lot of good info in there I didn't really know about. They don't give any specifics about the markers.

Sadly I don't think we are there yet and if we are they are being super tight lipped about it and see it as the next big cash crop for Big AG. What you are asking tho, if anyone does know it, they def arent sharing it . I would guess there are very few people breeding cannabis for the traits and quality we value that are taking this approach or have the training and documentation to go with it.

You would have to ask someone who has been keeping males for a very long time to get a really good answer about this and who also was using landraces when all of this started. Someone like Shanti. Everything is such a heap of poly hybrids now it would be really hard to use as a starting point without going the genetic marker route unless you had a ton of space and a ton of time.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Yeah, I think that people in the know just are keeping the secrets to themselves. Everything has been so hybridized and bastardized but it’s still possible. I will just have to experiment myself. I just do this for the fun of it, and if I figure anything out I will share lol

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

I think that's it. Funny they are talking about Phylos (2015 podcast) and what a clusterfuck that turned out to be.

Top Bottom