Adjusta-wing light bleaching? Anyone else have this problem?

• Thread starter thetreegrowerrr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

So I have 12 large adjusta wings going I probably have too many in my space...but i doubt it. but where the adjusta wings light pattern crosses each other that row of plants is yellowing and stressing hard no problems when they were set at 750 watt mode. Upped to 1000watt just that row started stressing and yellowing in about a week all other plants are fine lush and green. So I turned them all back down to 750 watts. I grow large plants my lights are raised all the way to the ceiling. 8ft ceilings 4ft plants. My room is 16.5ft wide by 16ft deep. My room is sealed with a 5 ton temps are 75.5 co2 is at 1200 I have an iponic600 so the room is super dialed. With any other hood this problem doesn't happen even at 1000watt mode. Medicropper on YouTube had the same problem.
I think it's bullshit and pisses me off. Each one of my hoods covers a 4x4 space. Any suggestions before I scrap these junk boxes of aluminum and go back to old schools.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

4x4 is.a pretty small foot print for a 1k aaw imo, I run 600 in that space. they spread the light more than a raptor. they make somehing for hot spots under the light but I haven't personally used one. either turn down or use less lights. you have environment dialed in it seems...

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

You have a temp gun?
Make sure temps and air flow are OK in that row. Could be as easy as adding a blower across the middle

Too many lumens is a prob I wish I had lol

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

You have a temp gun?
Make sure temps and air flow are OK in that row. Could be as easy as adding a blower across the middle

Too many lumens is a prob I wish I had lol

this, or adjust your wings. I cover a 4x4 with my wings too but there's still crossover light for sure. Tightening up the wings helps lessen that crossover angle and put more light in your 4x4

ttystikk

ttystikk

I second the above suggestions, and I'll add another.

Did you line your hoods up nose to tail do they look a bit like four rows of four airplanes all lined up nose to tail? If so, then the center row could be getting blasted by the bright spot in the pattern of the adjust-a-wing. The way to fix this is to arrange all your reflectors in a checkerboard pattern. This will result in a much more even and therefore efficient light spread and it sounds like your room could benefit.

Definitely place fans at one end and blow along that row.

Adjust-a-wing makes a light spreader, it's this little piece of angled metal that suits under the bulb. It's a waste of time and electricity unless your 'wings are super close to your plants- and you said that you have plenty of vertical space.

Another issue that may be contributing is low humidity. Plants can handle high amounts of light pressure better when the humidity is higher. Get your RH up to at least 55-60% and this will help your girls by allowing them to spend more energy actually growing rather than fighting wilt. Your CO² augmentation will suddenly be a lot more effective, too!

Sounds like a nice room, brother! Could you upload some pics?Maybe there's something we've missed that might show up in a few shots of the room.

Finally, have the plants been in there under that kind of light for awhile, or did they just get there? It's important to harden plants off to more intense lighting, outdoor gardeners do it every spring when starting seedlings indoors and then moving them outside. The transition period helps the plants develop the ability to handle the conditions and your grow room is no different.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ayup! ^^ Remember that light is the driver of plant life processes in combination with temperature and relative humidity. So essentially the light is causing more photosynthesis to occur in those areas, and the plant just *can't* either push enough nitrogen to those areas, or you're not feeding enough for the rate of photosynthesis you've got going on. Which is a LOT in that little space.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

ALL GOOD RESPONSES JUST WANT TO ADD THAT WITH CO2 AUGMENTATION YOU SHOULD RUN TEMS AROUND 78 AND THAT WILL ALSO RAISE YOUR RH OH AND SORRY FOR YELLING LOL JUST MY 2 CENTS:D

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
if u scrap then, shoot me a pm ill buy them! i run ADJwings, and this round plants grew to within 9inches to a ft away from hoods and i don't have bleaching, some of the tops r stunted but still no bleaching. hope u figure ur problem out dude.

confu

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

Well shit guys thanks for all the replies. The hoods are set at the tightest setting.
I have the iponic so I run humidifier and dehumidifier my humidity is at 55% for week 2 right now. I follow VPD's. ;) Nutes are at 900ppm. All other plants are fine except the middle that middle row it just gets blasted. The lights have been at 1000 for about a week I turned them back down to 750. I'm gonna have to readjust my wings in the checkerboard pattern there pretty much back to back for next run. My temps were at 80.5 I just turned them down. I'm growing SFV OG she likes it cooler even with co2 it seems. She's happy more perky praying. I would love to post pics but don't have an actual camera and I don't trust that location shit on or off. Oh yeah and there hardened off they have been vegging for 3 weeks in there under 750watts. At 1000 watt mode I'm running 45 watts per sq ft. (16.5 x16=264 into 12k 45sq ft)I really think those hoods have hot spots more on the edges no matter what the setting. I have dicked around with the setting for the past 3 grows and still end up with stress spots somewhere. Maybe adjusta wings are best at 5x5 areas with multiple lamps only. I could see that checker board pattern being really nice! That would take care of any hot spots or cross hatching of lights.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

I'm gonna do one more grow with them in the checkerboard pattern at a 5x5 area. If they still give me issues ill PM you.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Well shit guys thanks for all the replies. The hoods are set at the tightest setting.
I have the iponic so I run humidifier and dehumidifier my humidity is at 55% for week 2 right now. I follow VPD's. ;) Nutes are at 900ppm. All other plants are fine except the middle that middle row it just gets blasted. The lights have been at 1000 for about a week I turned them back down to 750. I'm gonna have to readjust my wings in the checkerboard pattern there pretty much back to back for next run. My temps were at 80.5 I just turned them down. I'm growing SFV OG she likes it cooler even with co2 it seems. She's happy more perky praying. I would love to post pics but don't have an actual camera and I don't trust that location shit on or off. Oh yeah and there hardened off they have been vegging for 3 weeks in there under 750watts. At 1000 watt mode I'm running 45 watts per sq ft. (16.5 x16=264 into 12k 45sq ft)I really think those hoods have hot spots more on the edges no matter what the setting. I have dicked around with the setting for the past 3 grows and still end up with stress spots somewhere. Maybe adjusta wings are best at 5x5 areas with multiple lamps only. I could see that checker board pattern being really nice! That would take care of any hot spots or cross hatching of lights.

THIS. Everyone who I know who has run them tight has problems. Your watts per sq ft are low, not high unless the calc. was off. Run those wings wide open and all the patterns will overlap and even out. Going checkerboard style is never easier than with a-wings, so take advantage!

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I'd run them wide open in the area your having probs. Leave them tight everywhere else

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

I had some set at the 3rd hole and some at the tightest. Where should I put the bulb socket at the widest setting? All the way up mid way or all the down. I'm gonna be expanding my room to 20 x 18 next round. Just gotta move some res's the space is there. That's 360 sq ft I'm gonna add 3 more adjusta wings for a total of 15k that would put me at 41.6 watts per sq ft. I'm gonna run 56 plants in that space. I run rock wool 5 gal buckets. My own custom system. So each bucket is 25" on center. Or 16" between each bucket. From wall to wall.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

So I made this generic shit real quick hahaha. Was thinking of doing this for next run. My hoods right now where it says 1.8ft are 11 inches right now. But there seems to be quite a few people having problems with these. I don't know if I can risk messing around with these. Not like I'm running a 2 lighter. Let me know what you think

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Honestly man, spend the time and dial the room.

I'm in sealed raptors and 45 watts/sqft is giving me wet dreams. I'm in the processof building a new room and was thinking of going to ~120 watts/sqft

If I had the ac I'd be using those wungs

Why don't you wanna do the checkerboard pattern you suggested earlier?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Run the wings as wide as possible and the bulb down as low as possible, this will spread your footprint and help eliminate that hotspot you mentioned. It will not be wasted light; it will help get light at your plants from the sides as well as the top, leading to much thicker and bushier development throughout the plant instead of just on top.

For my .02, you'll want four adjust-a-wings across your 18' space and five down the 20' length, for a total of 20kW. This brings your watts/square foot radio to 62.5.

If it were my nickel, I'd split that big, unwieldy space into two more manageable rooms, run them on a flip schedule, and use water chilling to keep both sides cool- and the chiller need only be half as big as the one you'd need now!

Another effective technique with adjust-a-wings is aiming fans up at them, so they swing a little and thus help to reduce hotspots and leaf shading. They don't need to swing more than 5 degrees, but the movement will pay off in terms of light distribution. And definitely checkerboard the orientation of them.

Last edited:
thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

I have ran rooms at 60-65 watts per sq ft nugs are crazy dense! But that was air cooled hoods. My 5 ton unit can't keep up with more than 15 1ks even at 15 1k's it runs for like 20 mins takes a 2 min breather and kicks right back on for 20 mins. I don't like running it that hard. So 15 1ks is my limit that im comfortable with. I have studied rooms like jackmayoffer and a few others tonight. I notice there wings are all on widest setting but they space them pretty far apart. I'm thinking of atleast 2ft on the sides and 3 feet on the back. These hoods are no joke. The 12 hoods at 750 were fine once I cranked them too 1k shit got toasted up. I even turned on a few 1ks a day over the weeks period.These hoods are def. not like other hoods where you can just cram them in. The owner isn't kidding about that german made aluminum. I'm in 3 car garage that's 30 long by 18 wide I framed the whole thing in. It's like a space ship. So I have room to play I just don't like being crammed I enjoy the space to work. My power bill with the 15 lights in flower was 2200 a month. I dont like it that high all the time. Haha. The checker board pattern sounds great...but the math and getting those babies equal and evenly spaced racks my brain. Im ocd about even coverage from corner to corner. Everyone is running them in rows with lots of space per hood. I haven't seen a checkerboard pattern yet. 5x5 is the bare minimum with these with multiple AW's or your asking for crispy ladies. Are any of you guys running these hoods in multiples?

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

I also have 11 wall mounts in my space I like thinks ruffling and my ducting from the 5 ton shakes the wings around gently.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

Is there a website to check if my pictures are secure since I use apple. I would like to post some shit but want to make sure my location is concealed on my pictures.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I've run multiple 'wings, yes, they work best spread out wide and bulb down, yes I did checkerboard- it's easy; just turn every other 'wing sideways. The way you describe how your AC runs is... exactly as it should be.

@logic has done his homework on this site. Even if your location info WAS meta tagged on your photos, when uploading them here the software they use strips it off!

Latest posts

Top Bottom